Re: List of Knowledge Management Topics #roles #KM101 #definition

Tami Dubi

Hi everyone,
As I promised, attached is the model I constructed that describes a knowledge manager's role in organizations.
The purpose of the model was to make the knowledge manager (KM) role accessible to the organizational population who are not from the knowledge management field and serve as a base for further discussion for those who come for the KM field.
KM's role is multidisciplinary and continuously evolving. Therefore, in my opinion, the model should not be considered as a limited framework of activity but as a starting point for advancement.
While working on this model, I concluded that the uniqueness of the KM role stems from the combination of the four domains described in the model. The need to work simultaneously in all four parts widens the perspective and the perceiving of the knowledge contribution to the organization.
I view the model as a map in which the KM can navigate and select different courses of action according to the needs of the organization and the business requirements. There is room to sketch recommended routes in different situations, and I invite you to suggest such ways.
This model is the first cornerstone, as I would like to continue developing a complementary KM skill model and writing a paper that explains how I arrived at this specific model.
I want to thank the members of this group for supplying me with materials and information, Thanks @Patrick_Lambe for inviting me to the ISKO SG sessions they were very interesting.

I would appreciate your opinion on the model.

Thanks,

Tami

Bibliography;

·       Druker P(1999). Management challenges for 21 st century (New York: Harper Business)

·       ISKO SG session 5.2021 http://www.iskosg.org/km_jobs.html

·       Williams D. (2016). A model for understanding knowledge systems (ABC’s for KM, Real KM). Retrieved from:
https://realkm.com/2016/01/07/a-model-for-understanding-knowledge-systems/

·       Saito A. (2015). Using competencies to bridge theory and practice [EKM series]. Retrieved from:

·       https://realkm.com/2015/11/30/using-competencies-to-bridge-theory-and-practice-ekm-series/

·       Saito A. (2015). What is the scope of knowledge management? [EKM series]. Retrieved from:

·       https://realkm.com/2015/12/14/what-is-the-scope-of-knowledge-management-ekm-series/

·       Marcy Harper: What are the Best Four Components of Knowledge. Retrieved from:
Management?https://www.apqc.org/blog/what-are-best-four-components-knowledge-management

·   Stephanie Barnes, Nick Milton (2014). Designing a Successful KM Strategy: A Guide for the Knowledge Management Professional.

·   Joseph M. Firestone & Mark W. McElroy (2005). Doing Knowledge Management.
pre-print version of a paper by the same title published in The Learning Organization Journal, Vol. 12, No.2, © 2005 Emerald Group Publishing, Ltd., also available at http://www.emeraldinsight.com/10.1108/09696470510583557

·   Nick Milton (2021). Why roles are important in Knowledge Management. Retrieved from:
http://www.nickmilton.com/2021/02/why-roles-are-important-in-knowledge.html

·    Stephan Bonds input on Decision Execution Cycle - Firestone and McElroy