Re: What is the current/future role of AI in the KM processes? #art-of-KM #AI #collaboration #methods #knowledge-capture

Dennis Thomas

Hello Ginetta,

Points well made.  I tend to be a bit provocative from time to time.  The “die” comment was a bit over the top and you are right to point it out.  Regarding IT/OT architects and programmers, our company has lost money on IT programmers who just could not understand the idea of rational processes versus logical processes. It took others time to peel back the onion before they understood.   Those where unexpected roadblocks that we could not afford at the time.  Otherwise, I believe a new era of technology is in process, and a big part of that is occurring in the manufacturing industry.  Some states have programs in place to help educate manufactures about the IT / OT convergence and how to understand and navigate the transition.

I believe this is happening across all industries. Small businesses focus is on services and products, then they focus on business process, then on systems, then on the integration of systems, and so forth.  There is a clear maturation process that occurs as revenues and incomes increase.  The question is, from our point of view, what kinds of OT can best accommodate these transitions?  We believe that no code / low code is the answer on the low end, and more sophisticated integrations as the systems grow in complexity.  For us, this means starting with systems that are Controlled Vocabulary-driven rather than taxonomy-driven as with AI and NLP (Natural Language Processing) systems.  This brings us to the point of the Linguistic-Semantic Gap.

The linguistic-semantic gap is the friction point between IT and OT.  IT utilizes taxonomies for the machine side, then tries to map those stripped down bits and bytes to the human user side.  Something gets lost in the translation.  What gets lost is the context, meaning, and purpose of the concepts people know and understand.   So the question then becomes, how can a machine faithfully represent concepts and ideas?  What are those?  IT excels with modeling the physical world.  There are objects, attributes (physical and semiotic) and processes - be they logistics of manufacturing, assembly, packaging and shipping.   When it comes to semiotics (refers to, or references something else), the challenge becomes more complex, and finally, when we get into metaphysics we are in crazy space.  But, we need to get there.

My vision of KM Future technology are screens that are concept-driven.  They are knowledge driven and interact with people as if their were an associate or subject matter expert on any subject.  They educate and convey simple to complex subjects in a language that people know and understand.  They excite, surprise, encourage, stimulate, entice, expose new vistas of discovery.  I like the Nancy Dixon's series on Organizational Dialogue, Guy Wallaces’s persistent messages about Instructional Systems Design and task/process modeling that reflects organizational goals and objective, Arthur Shelley Organizational Zoo, and Milton/Lambe ISO work, Patty Shanks work with Multiple Choice Questions, and many others.  Their work, as with many others, is hero work.  It is highly rational.  It cuts new ground, it proves out human intelligence,  IT is trying to kill it.

Finally, attached are two graphics that relate to this discussion.  Not sure they will go through.

Dennis L. Thomas
IQStrategix
(810) 662-5199

Leveraging Organizational Knowledge

On August 17, 2021 at 9:23:58 AM, Ginetta Gueli via groups.io (ginetta.gueli@...) wrote:

Hello Thomas,
I read with interest your point of view, mhmm fascinating. I tend to agree with most of what you wrote. In particularly when you say "Computers do not learn. They only recognize patterns.": I cannot agree more!

Based on my experience it is true that IT people recommend more IT to create the perfect KM system, but I have to admit that I had the pleasure to meet CIO and IT teams who were in the middle; not many I must say, but there are, and they are precious, because they are great KM partners.

This being said, I am not sure that all the youngers will think of OT as a solution and the old school KM people will soon die off. With more than 15 years of experience I can consider myself to be part of the 'old school', but I have to say that it does not depend on the generation you belong to: I met old school KMers that were more OT than IT and young people who were more IT than OT, and vice versa of course.

Again, thanks for your answer. I will definitively 'use' them as food for thought during our interviews. Let's see the results.

Have a great August and keep in touch.
All the best,
Ginetta

--
Ginetta Gueli
Information & Knowledge Manager | Project Manager