From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stephen Bounds via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 11:06 AM
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Productization of services

Hi Seth,

If I may venture an opinion, it seems that your biggest gap is really robust knowledge about your knowledge.

Do you have a standardised taxonomy that describes your IP? Off the top of my head I can think of a few facets that might be useful:

  • Basics
    • Internal method name (unique)
    • Client-facing terms used
    • Summary description
    • Creation date (if known)
    • Last utilised date (if known)
  • Strategic fit (text, possibly keyworded)
    • Utility (attainable objectives)
    • Typical goals and success metrics from past usage
    • Recommended or required technologies
    • Required role participants & skills
    • Indications and contraindications for use (ie culture, norms and values likely to lead to success or failure)
  • Challenge of implementation (star rating?)
    • Consulting budget
    • Staff time investment
    • Complexity of methods
    • Minimum maturity level
    • Trust requirements
  • History
    • Document / artefact repository links
    • List of past projects using the IP
    • Staff involved in creation, refinement, or use
    • Links to other versions / variants
    • Commentary, FAQs, lessons learned, etc

Presumably you don't have the resources to manually review and classify all 20+ years of resources, of course! Depending on volume and value, it might be worth using an auto-classifier AI as a starting point.

Even without any automated system, just cataloguing your highest value IP would be a valuable starting point for gaining better insights, control, and refinement over effective use and reuse of your IP. Over time, you could build in processes that would progressively gradually improve the quality of your IP catalogue as a wrap up step for each engagement.

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096

On 13/10/2021 11:27 pm, Seth Earley wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts Robert.  We have gone through many iterations of methodology development, harvesting of best practices, building out templates and reusable deliverables.  The challenge is that as people come and go, there is still a great deal of tacit knowledge about these artefacts and IP that make it difficult to socialize effectively with new people coming on board. Approaches evolve, teams have their specific take on the approaches and client needs change or vary from engagement to engagement.

Over 25+ years of delivering projects and programs, there is a significant amount of IP “in the archives” and without a function to specifically manage the IP, (responsibility has been with delivery operations but immediate staffing and client priorities have left this lower on the list), it can be a challenge to continually refresh.

My current remit is to package services in a few areas to make it easier to sell and deliver engagements in order to scale.  Much of my work in prior years has been focused on new and emerging areas.  But this work of productization is about our high ROI engagements that solve the problems that most organizations find intractable or evergreen.  It’s the blocking and tackling to reduce friction around information flows, install governance and metrics and improve data quality, resulting in greater efficiency and effectiveness whether for an external customer experience or internal supporting processes.  (All “motherhood and apple pie” as they say <smile>)

For the folks who responded off line, if you have not heard from me, feel free to ping me again.  I am trying to respond to all and set up conversations as appropriate but may have missed some responses. (You can copy my assistant Carolyn.Southwick@... if you send me a note. That way she will help make sure these don’t fall through the cracks)

Seth