Re: Wiki #wikis

Arthur Shelley

Pete,

All good questions. Too many KM initiatives are launched without the end
benefits in mind.

In my case I have specific aims for the wikis the students build. In the
case of SIKM, we should defer to Michael (Fulton) who asked the initial
query why he thought it might be something worth pursuing. Benefits may be
as simple as providing a "safe" environment for SIKM members (those who have
no hands on experience with wikis can play to understand how they may apply
the tool for other purposes).

Another potential benefit is that we build a knowledgebase together so each
of us can browse and gain insights for our collective knowledge and
experiences (but is this already available through the many websites/on-line
resources on KM?). But then if we want to do this, why not on something
more open like Wikipedia..

As Dave stated, this may be better done in a more public forum and share the
maintenance load a little. I am happy to contribute regardless of purpose
as I believe there is value to students in a comprehensive site being
available for their reference.

Arthur Shelley
Author: The Organizational Zoo A Survival Guide to Workplace Behavior
<http://www.organizationalzoo.com> www.organizationalzoo.com