Topics

Proposed KM resources #resources #definition

sswarup44 <sswarup44@...>

Edited

As part of our Employee Development Program, we are in the process of
reviewing and updating our list of KM learning resources for KM
newcomers as well as advanced KM practitioners.

1. We are curious about your approach to KM learning resources.

2. We would like to know your list of recommended KM learning
resources.

(Some of the proposed top 5-10 KM learning resources are listed in the
file that I have posted at https://groups.io/g/SIKM/files/KM%20resources.doc )

Thanks

Chris Riemer

As far as books, I would add:

The Knowledge Creating Company: How Japanese Companies Create the Dynamics of Innovation, by Ikujiro Nonaka and Hirotaka Takeuchi; Oxford University Press, 1995. It's not a light read, but it's got a great sense of scope and it was one of those seminal KM works in my opinion.

Intellectual Capital: The New Wealth of Organizations, by Thomas A Stewart; Currency/Doubleday, 1997. This was the book that really got me excited about KM, and turned my own career in that direction. So I recommend it to everybody.

I'd also recommend Stewart's second book, which is The Wealth of Knowledge: Intellectual Capital and the Twenty-first Century Organization; Currency/Doubleday 2001.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Riemer
Principal
Knowledge Street LLC
+1 973 292 2949

PS: Of course, Knowledge Street LLC also has an entertaining monthly e-newsletter on this topic ;-) http://tinyurl.com/elzew

As part of our Employee Development Program, we are in the process of
reviewing and updating our list of KM learning resources for KM
newcomers as well as advanced KM practitioners.

1. We are curious about your approach to KM learning resources.

2. We would like to know your list of recommended KM learning
resources.

(Some of the proposed top 5-10 KM learning resources are listed in the
file that I have posted)

Thanks

Denham Grey <dgrey@...>

Here is my pick of KM books:

http://denham.typepad.com/km/2004/11/selecting_5_km_.html

More important than books are KM thinkers:

http://denham.typepad.com/km/2004/12/5_km_masters.html

More important than thinkers are KM issues:

http://denham.typepad.com/km/2005/11/5_most_importan.html

David Snowden <snowded@...>

Thanks for this Denham

By the way I decided to play with the Wikkipedia entry on KM (although I think it should be deleted)
I added in some authors, qualified several statements and removed the extended description of McElroy replacing it with a list of some the schools and a statement to the effect that it would be invidious to list one

A few more people involved would be good - its one of the worst entries on the Wikkipedia and a bit more effort would help

Dave Snowden
Founder & Chief Scientific Officer
Cognitive Edge Pte Ltd

www.cognitive-edge.com

NB I am now in Singapore to Mid October please use email to contact me not the mobile phone

On 12 Aug 2006, at 14:03, Denham Grey wrote:

Here is my pick of KM books:

http://denham.typepad.com/km/2004/11/selecting_5_km_.html

More important than books are KM thinkers:

http://denham.typepad.com/km/2004/12/5_km_masters.html

More important than thinkers are KM issues:

http://denham.typepad.com/km/2005/11/5_most_importan.html

douglasweidner@...

Dear sswarup44

The International Knowledge Management Institute (KM Institute) has a
proven KM curriculum from KM Fundamentals (KM100 Series) for business
professionals seeking personal performance improvement in the Knowledge
Age, to Executive Briefings (KM300 Series), to Advanced KM Certification
Programs for KM Practitioners (KM400 and KM500 Series Programs and
eCKM(tm)). These courses are Blended Workshops, but they are being
converted into interactive video training for a all-e mode as well. Some
'e' modules will be available this Fall.

Also, this Fall, a much expanded offering of e-learning, business
competency enrichment courses will be offered, including such topics as
Leadership (25 courses), Executive Development (124 courses), Team
Building, Project Management, etc. Most are interactive video courses.

More on the KM Institute can be found at www.kminstitute.org.

Douglas Weidner, eCKM Mentor(tm)
Chairman, KM Institute

As part of our Employee Development Program, we are in the process of

reviewing and updating our list of KM learning resources for KM
newcomers as well as advanced KM practitioners.

1. We are curious about your approach to KM learning resources.

2. We would like to know your list of recommended KM learning
resources.

(Some of the proposed top 5-10 KM learning resources are listed in the
file that I have posted)

Thanks

David Snowden <snowded@...>

Can we agree a "no advertising" policy please?
List serves are great places but when they start to get used for promotion it gets tedious

On 13 Aug 2006, at 10:13, douglasweidner@... wrote:

Dear sswarup44

The International Knowledge Management Institute (KM Institute) has a
proven KM curriculum from KM Fundamentals (KM100 Series) for business
professionals seeking personal performance improvement in the Knowledge
Age, to Executive Briefings (KM300 Series), to Advanced KM Certification
Programs for KM Practitioners (KM400 and KM500 Series Programs and
eCKM(tm)). These courses are Blended Workshops, but they are being
converted into interactive video training for a all-e mode as well. Some
'e' modules will be available this Fall.

Also, this Fall, a much expanded offering of e-learning, business
competency enrichment courses will be offered, including such topics as
Leadership (25 courses), Executive Development (124 courses), Team
Building, Project Management, etc. Most are interactive video courses.

More on the KM Institute can be found at www.kminstitute.org.

Douglas Weidner, eCKM Mentor(tm)
Chairman, KM Institute

As part of our Employee Development Program, we are in the process of
> reviewing and updating our list of KM learning resources for KM
> newcomers as well as advanced KM practitioners.
>
> 1. We are curious about your approach to KM learning resources.
>
> 2. We would like to know your list of recommended KM learning
> resources.
>
> (Some of the proposed top 5-10 KM learning resources are listed in the
> file that I have posted)
>
> Thanks

douglasweidner@...

Dave,

In principle I agree about unsolicited advertising, but my response was
simply an answer to a direct query, "We would like to know your list of
recommended KM learning resources."

Sorry if I offended.

Douglas Weidner

Can we agree a "no advertising" policy please?

List serves are great places but when they start to get used for
promotion it gets tedious

On 13 Aug 2006, at 10:13, douglasweidner@kminstitute.org wrote:

[...]

Doug you've got some good reading lists and material (I don;t agree with a lot of it but that's not the issue)
Provide the material or a web link and that seems fine to me
But advertising services is I think different.  Its not that if offends, its just not what I think a list serve should be about

On 13 Aug 2006, at 10:32, douglasweidner@... wrote:

Dave,

In principle I agree about unsolicited advertising, but my response was
simply an answer to a direct query, "We would like to know your list of
recommended KM learning resources."

Sorry if I offended.

Douglas Weidner

Can we agree a "no advertising" policy please?
> List serves are great places but when they start to get used for
> promotion it gets tedious
>

> Dave Snowden
> Founder & Chief Scientific Officer
> Cognitive Edge Pte Ltd
>
> www.cognitive-edge.com
>
> NB I am now in Singapore to Mid October please use email to contact
> me not the mobile phone
>

> On 13 Aug 2006, at 10:13, douglasweidner@kminstitute.org wrote:
>
>> Dear sswarup44
>>
>> The International Knowledge Management Institute (KM Institute) has a
>> proven KM curriculum from KM Fundamentals (KM100 Series) for business
>> professionals seeking personal performance improvement in the
>> Knowledge
>> Age, to Executive Briefings (KM300 Series), to Advanced KM
>> Certification
>> Programs for KM Practitioners (KM400 and KM500 Series Programs and
>> eCKM(tm)). These courses are Blended Workshops, but they are being
>> converted into interactive video training for a all-e mode as well.
>> Some
>> 'e' modules will be available this Fall.
>>
>> Also, this Fall, a much expanded offering of e-learning, business
>> competency enrichment courses will be offered, including such
>> topics as
>> Leadership (25 courses), Executive Development (124 courses), Team
>> Building, Project Management, etc. Most are interactive video courses.
>>
>> More on the KM Institute can be found at www.kminstitute.org.
>>
>> Douglas Weidner, eCKM Mentor(tm)
>> Chairman, KM Institute
>>
>> As part of our Employee Development Program, we are in the process of
>> > reviewing and updating our list of KM learning resources for KM
>> > newcomers as well as advanced KM practitioners.
>> >
>> > 1. We are curious about your approach to KM learning resources.
>> >
>> > 2. We would like to know your list of recommended KM learning
>> > resources.
>> >
>> > (Some of the proposed top 5-10 KM learning resources are listed
>> in the
>> > file that I have posted)
>> >
>> > Thanks

douglasweidner@...

Dave,

To make amends, here's a favorite book. It's a fascinating read, but has
much insight for change management, especially how to help change a
culture.

The Tipping Point How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference, by
Malcolm Gladwell, Abacus, 2000

Douglas

On 13 Aug 2006, at 10:32, douglasweidner@kminstitute.org wrote:

Dave,

In principle I agree about unsolicited advertising, but my response
was
simply an answer to a direct query, "We would like to know your
list of
recommended KM learning resources."

Sorry if I offended.

Douglas Weidner

Can we agree a "no advertising" policy please?
List serves are great places but when they start to get used for
[...]

Valdis Krebs <valdis.krebs@...>

Douglas,

Which exact parts/topics of Tipping Point do you find useful for change
management?

Valdis

On Aug 13, 2006, at 5:46 AM, douglasweidner@kminstitute.org wrote:

It's a fascinating read, but has much insight for change management,
especially how to help change a culture.

“The Tipping Point –

douglasweidner@...

Valdis,

Most all lessons learned from epidemiology.

Law of Few, Stickiness and Context.

Others will not appreciate above unless they have read/studied the book.

Douglas

Douglas,

Which exact parts/topics of Tipping Point do you find useful for change
management?

Valdis

On Aug 13, 2006, at 5:46 AM, douglasweidner@kminstitute.org wrote:

It's a fascinating read, but has much insight for change management,
especially how to help change a culture.

The Tipping Point

Yahoo! Groups Links

Kaplan Bill <Bill.Kaplan@...>

I agree—lately, listservs I belong to lately seems to have advertising from the KM Institute in one subtle or direct way or another.

Thanks

Bill Kaplan

Can we agree a "no advertising" policy please?

List serves are great places but when they start to get used for promotion it gets tedious

Dave Snowden

Founder & Chief Scientific Officer

Cognitive Edge Pte Ltd

www.cognitive-edge.com

NB I am now in Singapore to Mid October please use email to contact me not the mobile phone

On 13 Aug 2006, at 10:13, douglasweidner@kminstitute.org wrote:

Dear sswarup44

The International Knowledge Management Institute (KM Institute) has a
proven KM curriculum from KM Fundamentals (KM100 Series) for business
professionals seeking personal performance improvement in the Knowledge
Age, to Executive Briefings (KM300 Series), to Advanced KM Certification
Programs for KM Practitioners (KM400 and KM500 Series Programs and
eCKM(tm)). These courses are Blended Workshops, but they are being
converted into interactive video training for a all-e mode as well. Some
'e' modules will be available this Fall.

Also, this Fall, a much expanded offering of e-learning, business
competency enrichment courses will be offered, including such topics as
Leadership (25 courses), Executive Development (124 courses), Team
Building, Project Management, etc. Most are interactive video courses.

More on the KM Institute can be found at www.kminstitute.org.

Douglas Weidner, eCKM Mentor(tm)
Chairman, KM Institute

As part of our Employee Development Program, we are in the process of
> reviewing and updating our list of KM learning resources for KM
> newcomers as well as advanced KM practitioners.
>
> 1. We are curious about your approach to KM learning resources.
>
> 2. We would like to know your list of recommended KM learning
> resources.
>
> (Some of the proposed top 5-10 KM learning resources are listed in the
> file that I have posted)
>
> Thanks

Peter West <peter.west@...>

Sanjay,

In terms of approach ...

For newcomers to KM, it is critical to quickly "set the hook" - demonstrate the relevance, value, benefits and necessity of practicing KM. Context is also crucial. If you can introduce them to KM through materials that apply to their industry, organization, department, profession, job, or roles you are more likely to get (and retain) their interest and attention. Connecting newcomers with internal KM champions or advanced KM practitioners would also stimulate continuity in their exploration/learning/application.

For advanced KM practitioners, it is critical to "keep them hooked" - enable them to easily access specialized KM resources (as the advanced KM practitioner may be the only ones that knows they exist) and people (inside and outside the organization). Facilitating the expansion of their contact base, communities and networks will also stimulate growth in their exploration/learning/application.

A corporate-wide KM learning trajectory (or continuum) might also be a useful tool.

Respectfully,
Peter

William Ives <iveswilliam@...>

I always liked Tom Davenport and Larry Prusack's Working Knowledge. For many years I recommended it to people as a good intro to the subject. Now I really like Tom's new book. Thinking for a Living.  With the advent of web 2.0 I think what we think KM is will change and a new set of books will emerge.

On Aug 12, 2006, at 8:23 AM, Chris Riemer wrote:

[...]

Given that everyone is coming up with good books - how about making some changes to the Wikipedia entry on KM?

The biography was dire when I looked at it the other night and the entry not much better.  See my blog "tales of a Wikipedia Virgin" on the Cognitive Edge web site for more details.  I had the interesting experience of being told that I obviously did not understand Snowden's theory of KM by an academic who was not aware who I was.

I added in some references and made some changes to the main entry but more involvement (ideally not a dump of ones own web site and sales material) would be good then all this stuff would be consolidated in one place

In the interests of KM I suggest we keep it to KM books rather than related ones

On 13 Aug 2006, at 22:06, William Ives wrote:

[...]

Dave Weinberger talks about the Wikipedia as "negotiated truth"  which is very different than the normal encyclopedia. It is especially interesting to see controversial topics like the John Kennedy assassination. Here multiple theories have their place but the core must be agreed upon to avoid edit wars. We have an opportunity to develop a commonly accepted definition of KM that is not one individual's perspective or sales pitch through the process of multiple contributors.

Bill Ives
blog: Portals and KM

On Aug 13, 2006, at 7:34 PM, David Snowden wrote:

[...]

I think a definition might be a stage too far.
We know that there are distinct and different schools of KM and the definitions will reflect those.
Some of those differences are fundamental
I think recognising the richness of KM and its diversity is better. If you look at some of the standards (including those produced in collaborative environments) they become very bland to the point of being useless.

So to avoid edit wars, it may need a "there are three/four/whatever recongised approaches to this issue. They are ......

On 14 Aug 2006, at 11:57, William Ives wrote:

[...]

www.knowledgestreet.com
+1 973 292 2949

As part of our Employee Development Program, we are in the process of
reviewing and updating our list of KM learning resources for KM
newcomers as well as advanced KM practitioners.

1. We are curious about your approach to KM learning resources.

2. We would like to know your list of recommended KM learning
resources.

(Some of the proposed top 5-10 KM learning resources are listed in the
file that I have posted)

Thanks

William Ives <iveswilliam@...>

Good idea Dave - This was what I was thinking but you articulated it better. - Bill

On Aug 14, 2006, at 7:02 AM, David Snowden wrote:

[...]

I agree with Dave.

There are many issues within KM that have mutual schools of thought, some
good, some bad, but multiple never-the-less.

Knowing that such diffrences exist is clarifying in and of itself.

[...]

steven.wieneke@...

A simple definition of KM would not due justice to the topic. However
modeling the Domain of Knowledge Management appears to more than
appropriate for at least KM practitioners since we routinely model other
areas of practice. I find the overall lack of motivation by the KM
community to describe the depth and breath of its multiple discipline
domain curious.

Steven Wieneke
GM Technical Fellow
Global Technical Memory