August 2007 SIKM Call: Shawn Callahan - Business narrative experiences at Anecdote #monthly-call #storytelling


Stan Garfield
 
Edited

TO: Consulting & SI KM Leaders Community Members

 

This is a reminder that there will be no call today.  Instead, our 27th monthly presentation is available online, featuring Shawn Callahan of Anecdote on "Business narrative experiences at Anecdote."

 

Due to the time zone difference in Australia, Shawn recorded his presentation and uploaded it to YouTube.  It is in 5 parts and lasts a total of 40 minutes.  Please view the presentation in your own time, and then participate in a question and answer session by replying to this thread.

 

<Shawn's presentation is no longer available.>

 

After you view the presentation, post your questions and comments by replying to this thread. Feel free to comment on this style of presentation, as well.

 

Regards,

Stan

 

Future Calls

 

  • September 18, 2007: Patrick Lambe of Straits Knowledge
  • October 16, 2007: Kate Pugh of Intel - "Knowledge Harvesting"
  • November 20, 2007: Christian De Neef - "Hiding KM for success"
  • December 18, 2007: Stephanie Barnes - "ITIL and KM"
  • January 15, 2008: Kent Greenes - "Facilitated best practice transfer"
  • February 19, 2008: Marilyn Perry of EDS - Discussion on Motivating Leaders to Collaborate
  • March 18, 2008: John McQuary of Fluor - "Results from the Knowvember Campaign"
  • April 15, 2008: Jim Coogan of Boeing - "KM at Boeing"
  • May 20, 2008: Stacie Jordan - "Collaboration efforts at Accenture"
  • June 17, 2008: Barry Dayton - "KM at 3M"
  • July 15, 2008:  Steve Wieneke - "Knowing What to Know"


Stan Garfield
 

Hi, Shawn.  Thanks for recording and uploading your presentation.

Here are my questions to you, and to the other members:

1. Can you provide a few examples of the following techniques, and your thoughts on when to apply each of these?

  • Anecdote Circle
  • Knowledge Audit
  • Most Significant Change
  • Sensemaking Workshop
  • Appreciative Inquiry
  • Narrative Techniques
  • Storytelling

2. You mentioned that you are part of an extended network.  Can you provide some examples of others in your network?  How do you use the network, and how has it been helpful to you?

 

3. What do the SIKM community members think of this format for a community presentation and discussion? One member commented: "It will be an interesting experiment to see how much discussion occurs from this. I have always felt face-to-face or even phone meetings force participation (in a good way). Forums work well once the flow of ongoing discussion has started (and people can jump in without feeling like they need to break the ice.)  The point being, for a relatively quiet channel, there might not be enough energy to get people to participate (never mind view the videos...)"

 

So I'm breaking the ice, and asking that the other members jump in!

 

Regards,

Stan

 


Stephanie Barnes
 
Edited

Hi Stan, et al,

I liked Shawn's presentation: getting people to "tell their stories"
is what I have been doing on my current project and I have to say I
get a much better response and more complete information when I just
let them talk and ask for examples or futher explanation, than when I
do it as an interview, asking them a bunch of questions.

I liked the form of presentation, much more than I expected to, I'm
usually find pre-recorded things hard to pay attention to, but this
was good, maybe because Shawn was telling a story rather than paging
through a bunch of slides. From a logistics/technical perspective,
I'm curious how he recorded it.

Thanks Shawn.

Regards,
Stephanie


Shawn Callahan
 

Thanks Stan. I'm looking forward to the online discussion. 

My apologies for not being able to join you live. I have a hectic travel schedule this week. In fact I'm writing this note from Dubbo (country town in New South Wales).

Regards

Shawn



Shawn Callahan



On 21/08/2007, at 11:29 PM, Stan Garfield wrote:


TO: Consulting & SI KM Leaders Community Members

 

This is a reminder that there will be no call today.  Instead, our monthly presentation is available online, featuring Shawn Callahan of Anecdote on "Business narrative experiences at Anecdote."

 

Due to the time zone difference in Australia, Shawn recorded his presentation and uploaded it to YouTube.  It is in 5 parts and lasts a total of 40 minutes.  Please view the presentation in your own time, and then participate in a question and answer session by replying to this thread.

 

Here are the links to the 5 parts of Shawn's presentation:

  1. http://youtube.com/watch?v=K6q0jkbfcx8
  2. http://youtube.com/watch?v=TOAtwhgSTf8
  3. http://youtube.com/watch?v=FYuwumeWn_E
  4. http://youtube.com/watch?v=BweLmKlTbnI
  5. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hd7WVri5aCI

 

After you view the presentation, post your questions and comments by replying to this thread. Feel free to comment on this style of presentation, as well.

 

Regards,

Stan

 

Future Calls

 

  • September 18, 2007: Patrick Lambe of Straits Knowledge
  • October 16, 2007: Kate Pugh of Intel - "Knowledge Harvesting"
  • November 20, 2007: Christian De Neef - "Hiding KM for success"
  • December 18, 2007: Stephanie Barnes - "ITIL and KM"
  • January 15, 2008: Kent Greenes - "Facilitated best practice transfer"
  • February 19, 2008: Marilyn Perry of EDS - Discussion on Motivating Leaders to Collaborate
  • March 18, 2008: John McQuary of Fluor - "Results from the Knowvember Campaign"
  • April 15, 2008: Jim Coogan of Boeing - "KM at Boeing"
  • May 20, 2008: Stacie Jordan - "Collaboration efforts at Accenture"
  • June 17, 2008: Barry Dayton - "KM at 3M"
  • July 15, 2008:  Steve Wieneke - "Knowing What to Know"



Shawn Callahan
 

Sure thing Stan.

Let's start with sensemaking workshops. I'm here at Dubbo to run one for natural resource managers who are currently developing their knowledge strategy. They have already collected about 50 stories about how they use information and knowledge, have done some surveys on information and knowledge needs (from an internal and stakeholder perspective) and we have helped them develop a knowledge map. In this one day and half day workshop we are going to immerse them in the stories and other information and identify small interventions and larger programs they can undertake to make progress against the objectives they have set for themselves. The approach we use for our knowledge mapping/audit was one introduced to me by Dave Snowden and is based on the ASHEN acronym (Artefacts, Skills, Heuristics, Experience & Natural talent). It's explained in a paper Dave wrote on Organic Knowledge Management. I'm sure it could be readily found on the Cognitive Edge website.

We use anecdote circles for much our story collections. The way we approach anecdote circles is described in this eBook we wrote last here. http://www.anecdote.com.au/anecdotecircles

I will address the other techniques in some following posts.

Regarding our extended network of practitioners they include

Patti Anklam who recently helped developed an SNA of global chocolate experts and worked on another project with us looking at Australia's homelessness sector.
Nancy White who helps us with online facilitation and collaboration projects
Patrick Lambe from Singapore
Cognitive Edge is an important partner as we implement the sensemaker software. We are currently helping a government department udertake a 4 year study of Aboriginal child welfare.

I will be back on the email after my workshop today.

Regards

Shawn 



Shawn Callahan



On 22/08/2007, at 4:20 AM, Stan Garfield wrote:


Hi, Shawn.  Thanks for recording and uploading your presentation.

Here are my questions to you, and to the other members:

1. Can you provide a few examples of the following techniques, and your thoughts on when to apply each of these?

  • Anecdote Circle
  • Knowledge Audit
  • Most Significant Change
  • Sensemaking Workshop
  • Appreciative Inquiry
  • Narrative Techniques
  • Storytelling

2. You mentioned that you are part of an extended network.  Can you provide some examples of others in your network?  How do you use the network, and how has it been helpful to you?

 

3. What do the SIKM community members think of this format for a community presentation and discussion? One member commented: "It will be an interesting experiment to see how much discussion occurs from this. I have always felt face-to-face or even phone meetings force participation (in a good way). Forums work well once the flow of ongoing discussion has started (and people can jump in without feeling like they need to break the ice.)  The point being, for a relatively quiet channel, there might not be enough energy to get people to participate (never mind view the videos...)"

 

So I'm breaking the ice, and asking that the other members jump in!

 

Regards,

Stan

 



Shawn Callahan
 

Hi Stephanie.

I have the new version of Keynote (on the mac) which allows you to record your voice with the presentation. It was a bit weird staring out the window giving an imaginary presentation. My family thought I was bonkers. To fit the presentation into You Tube's 10 minutes limitation I used iMovie to cut up the Quicktime movie it created.

Cheers

Shawn



Shawn Callahan



On 22/08/2007, at 4:53 AM, Stephanie wrote:

Hi Stan, et al,

I liked Shawn's presentation: getting people to "tell their stories"
is what I have been doing on my current project and I have to say I
get a much better response and more complete information when I just
let them talk and ask for examples or futher explanation, than when I
do it as an interview, asking them a bunch of questions.

I liked the form of presentation, much more than I expected to, I'm
usually find pre-recorded things hard to pay attention to, but this
was good, maybe because Shawn was telling a story rather than paging
through a bunch of slides. From a logistics/technical perspective,
I'm curious how he recorded it.

Thanks Shawn.

Regards,
Stephanie

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "Stan Garfield"
...> wrote:
>
>
> Hi, Shawn. Thanks for recording and uploading your presentation.
>
> Here are my questions to you, and to the other members:
>
> 1. Can you provide a few examples of the following techniques, and
your
> thoughts on when to apply each of these?
>
> * Anecdote Circle
> * Knowledge Audit
> * Most Significant Change
> * Sensemaking Workshop
> * Appreciative Inquiry
> * Narrative Techniques
> * Storytelling
>
>
>
> 2. You mentioned that you are part of an extended network. Can you
> provide some examples of others in your network? How do you use the
> network, and how has it been helpful to you?
>
>
>
> 3. What do the SIKM community members think of this format for a
> community presentation and discussion? One member commented: "It
will be
> an interesting experiment to see how much discussion occurs from
this. I
> have always felt face-to-face or even phone meetings force
participation
> (in a good way). Forums work well once the flow of ongoing
discussion
> has started (and people can jump in without feeling like they need
to
> break the ice.) The point being, for a relatively quiet channel,
there
> might not be enough energy to get people to participate (never mind
view
> the videos...)"
>
>
>
> So I'm breaking the ice, and asking that the other members jump in!
>
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Stan
>



Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>
 

What a fun project!

So what makes a "Chocolate expert?"

How did you pay her? in 70% Cacao?

;-)

Valdis

On Aug 21, 2007, at 4:43 PM, Shawn Callahan wrote:

Patti Anklam who recently helped developed an SNA of global chocolate experts


Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>
 

I have a few colleagues who have made some amazing presentations in Keynote and iMovie -- many self-running. I have been on the Mac for years, but have stuck with Microsoft Office on it. Looks like it's time to make a transition! [pardon the pun]

Valdis

On Aug 21, 2007, at 4:46 PM, Shawn Callahan wrote:

I have the new version of Keynote (on the mac) which allows you to record your voice with the presentation. It was a bit weird staring out the window giving an imaginary presentation. My family thought I was bonkers. To fit the presentation into You Tube's 10 minutes limitation I used iMovie to cut up the Quicktime movie it created.


Stan Garfield
 
Edited

> The approach we use for our knowledge mapping/audit was one introduced to me by
> Dave Snowden and is based on the ASHEN acronym (Artefacts, Skills, Heuristics,
> Experience & Natural talent). It's explained in a paper Dave wrote on Organic KM.
> I'm sure it could be readily found on the Cognitive Edge website.

Here is the paper on ASHEN and here are all of Dave's articles, including the three papers on Organic KM:

View Dave Snowden Organic Knowledge Management 3 of 3: Interventions

In the final article of the series, Dave Snowdencompletes the catalogue of methods for eliciting anecdotal material from which knowledge

View Dave Snowden Organic KM 2: Indirect Knowledge Discovery

In the second article of three on organic knowledge management, Dave examines some of the dangers of knowledge elicitation and

View Dave Snowden Organic Knowledge Management 1- ASHEN

In 1998, David Snowden laid the foundations of an approach to understanding the intellectual assets of an organisation using techniques


David Snowden <snowded@...>
 

There are some updates on the method by the away - its taught now on accreditation courses (see web site)



Dave Snowden
Founder & Chief Scientific Officer
Cognitive Edge Pte Ltd

Now blogging at www.cognitive-edge.com


On 22 Aug 2007, at 18:38, Stan Garfield wrote:


> The approach we use for our knowledge mapping/audit was one introduced to me by
> Dave Snowden and is based on the ASHEN acronym (Artefacts, Skills, Heuristics, 
> Experience & Natural talent). It's explained in a paper Dave wrote on Organic KM.
> I'm sure it could be readily found on the Cognitive Edge website.

Here is the paper on ASHEN and here are all of Dave's articles, including the three papers on Organic KM:


ViewDave SnowdenOrganic Knowledge Management 3 of 3: Interventions

In the final article of the series, Dave Snowdencompletes the catalogue of methods for eliciting anecdotal material from which knowledge

ViewDave SnowdenOrganic KM 2: Indirect Knowledge Discovery

In the second article of three on organic knowledge management, Dave examines some of the dangers of knowledge elicitation and

ViewDave SnowdenOrganic Knowledge Management 1- ASHEN

In 1998, David Snowden laid the foundations of an approach to understanding the intellectual assets of an organisation using techniques






Shawn Callahan
 

There were about 50 chocolate experts across about 10 countries. There were members of the chocolate community of practice. Each was a scientist such as physical and bio chemists.

While they dearly loved chocolate there seemed to be a much stronger interest in beer :-)

cheers

Shawn


Shawn Callahan



On 22/08/2007, at 12:51 PM, Valdis Krebs wrote:

What a fun project!

So what makes a "Chocolate expert?"

How did you pay her? in 70% Cacao?

;-)

Valdis

On Aug 21, 2007, at 4:43 PM, Shawn Callahan wrote:

> Patti Anklam who recently helped developed an SNA of global
> chocolate experts



sswarup44 <sswarup44@...>
 

Just wanted give credit to Shawn Callahan for coming up with this
creative approach to using You Tube for publishing his presentation on
Business Narrative.

Sanjay


Patti Anklam <patti@...>
 

I dearly wish there had been some chocolate available!  But it was very enlightening to see the range of scientific discplines required to make a perfect chocolate!
 
/patti
(978)456-4175
 



From: Shawn Callahan [mailto:shawn@...]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:25 PM
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Re: Business narrative experiences at Anecdote

There were about 50 chocolate experts across about 10 countries. There were members of the chocolate community of practice. Each was a scientist such as physical and bio chemists.


While they dearly loved chocolate there seemed to be a much stronger interest in beer :-)

cheers

Shawn


Shawn Callahan



On 22/08/2007, at 12:51 PM, Valdis Krebs wrote:

What a fun project!

So what makes a "Chocolate expert?"

How did you pay her? in 70% Cacao?

;-)

Valdis

On Aug 21, 2007, at 4:43 PM, Shawn Callahan wrote:

> Patti Anklam who recently helped developed an SNA of global
> chocolate experts



Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>
 

Funny. I recently tried a "chocolate beer" from Trader Joe's... I prefer the two tastes separately.

Valdis

On Aug 22, 2007, at 3:24 PM, Shawn Callahan wrote:

While they dearly loved chocolate there seemed to be a much stronger interest in beer :-)