New Study of Developing Expertise #expertise

sikmleaders@...

Edited

This email message is a notification to let you know that a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the sikmleaders group.

File : /McDermott - Learning the Master's Art.pdf
Uploaded by : StanGarfield <stangarfield@gmail.com>

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.io/g/SIKM/files/McDermott%20-%20Learning%20the%20Master%27s%20Art.pdf

Regards,
StanGarfield <stangarfield@gmail.com>

richardmcdermott100 <richardmcdermott100@...>

Folks,

First thanks to Stan for inviting me to this forum. I recognize many
of you.

I am conducting a study for the KM Forum of the Henley Management
College on innovative and effective ways of retaining, deepening and
developing expertise (study announcement below).

We have found many organizations capturing the knowledge of retiring
experts (some quite comprehensively) and many have good traditional
apprenticeship programs. We are are taking a different approach. We
are interested in what organizations are doing to help learners
understand how expert practitioners diagnose and solve problems; how
they see, think about, and act in their domain.

If your organization - or one you know - is experimenting, piloting
or masterful at this, we would love to hear from you. Just write me
directly at Richard@McDermottConsulting.com

Thanks.
_____________________
Study of developing true expertise

Is your organization good at:
• sharing the real expertise of senior staff before they retire?
• developing young professionals who move rapidly between
organizational units?
• managing handovers when overlap between staff is not possible?
• integrating the expertise of seasoned practitioners with
talent development programs?
Would you like to "compare notes" with other organizations that have
cutting edge approaches to these issues and learn how they approached
similar issue?

I am conducting a study in conjunction with Henley Management
College's KM Forum on how to deepen and develop real expertise. The
sponsors are quite sophisticated about KM, so we are looking beyond
the traditional KM tools to examples of effective and/or innovative
approaches specifically geared to deepening expertise.

Participating organizations will receive a copy of our report and
will be invited to a discussion session with other innovators to
compare ideas and approaches.

So if you are good at this or you know an organization, profession or
discipline that is, please write. Thanks!

Richard McDermott Richard@McDermottConsulting.com

Douglas Weidner <douglasweidner@...>

Richard,

The KM Institute is working with George Mason University's Learning Agent Center which has developed the next generation expert systems to do exactly that - help learners understand how expert practitioners diagnose and solve problems, ...

But, the process works in the following way - the SME works first with the Learning Agent, 'educating it'.

Then the Learning Agent can serve both as an aid to the SME's advanced thinking, and as a tutor to apprentices.

If anyone would like to know more, I can post a few docs.

We hope to create a KM Learning Agent in 2008, simultaneously with a KM simulation, both for obvious reasons.

Douglas Weidner
Chairman, The International Knowledge Management Institute (KM Institute)
703-757-1395
douglas.weidner@...
www.kminstitute.org

[...]

Boas, Bernadette M <bernadette.boas@...>

Would absolutely be interested in any documents you would have around this

Bernadette Boas
Teradata Corporation
VP PS Capabilities Development
Cell: 678-438-1908
bernadette.boas@...

The information included in this e-mail is confidential and proprietary to Teradata, and is intended solely for the use of the original recipient.

douglas.weidner@kminstitute.org
www.kminstitute.org

[...]

Pugh, Katrina <katrina.pugh@...>

Richard, your study sounds very valuable.  I imagine that you have all three of these references, but for us all:

1.       The Knowledge Harvesting process that Nancy Dixon and I presented on 10/16 (see the SIKM leaders repository). Note that this originated at Intel in our “copy exactly” principle, and it was used first in transferring knowledge during Fabrication plant start-up.

2.       Graham Westwood’s “procarta” application (intelligent knowledge-capture framework) [Graham cc’d above]

3.       Eric Lesser (IBM colleague) study of the aging workforce and knowledge capture.

Cheers

Kate

Katrina Pugh
VP, Knowledge Management
IT Center of Excellence
Fidelity Investments, Personal and Workforce Investing
400 Puritan Way M3J
Marlborough, MA 01752
(O) 508 357 3236
(M) 781 258 0920
katrina.pugh@...
Email
Confidentiality Notice: The information in this email and subsequent attachments may contain confidential information that is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). This message or any part thereof must not be disclosed, copied, distributed or retained by any person without authorization from Fidelity Investments.

[...]

Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>

FYI... our SNA/ONA clients have expertise mapping/knowledge exchange/
mentoring/informal learning/knowledge loss on the top of their lists
also.

Valdis Krebs
http://www.orgnet.com

On Nov 23, 2007, at 9:20 AM, Pugh, Katrina wrote:

1. The Knowledge Harvesting process that Nancy Dixon and I
presented on 10/16 (see the SIKM leaders repository). Note that
this originated at Intel in our “copy exactly” principle, and it
was used first in transferring knowledge during Fabrication plant
start-up.

2. Graham Westwood’s “procarta” application (intelligent
knowledge-capture framework) [Graham cc’d above]

3. Eric Lesser (IBM colleague) study of the aging workforce
and knowledge capture.

Patrick Lambe

Richard

Are you in touch with Gary Klein?

Patrick

On 21 Nov 2007, at 3:17 AM, richardmcdermott100 wrote:

[...]

Kaplan, Bill <bill.kaplan@...>

I would like Eric's reference for the IBM work on aging workforce and
knowledge capture; this is an area in which we have done extensive
research, published on this subject, and have developed a working
model in practice for moving critical and relevant knowledge from one
generation of workforce and leadership to the next. Also, is this IBM
work related to the efforts of Ed Vitalos also working in the workforce
consulting arena in IBM Global Services?

Thanks much

Bill

Bill Kaplan, CPCM

Chief Knowledge Officer

Acquisitions Solutions, Inc.

"Knowledge at Work"

703.253.6313 (w)

571.238.9878 (c)

The information contained in this message may be privileged,
confidential, and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
please notify us immediately by replying to this message, and then
delete it from your computer.

________________________________

Richard, your study sounds very valuable. I imagine that you have all
three of these references, but for us all:

1. The Knowledge Harvesting process that Nancy Dixon and I
presented on 10/16 (see the SIKM leaders repository
<http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4NxGR2cmvT-LRNxRGoEj9QCATfD9HjWHlLo3JHvjw3
nBwlU_WcMlFqOHfuIfllmqfYX58Cf29Fs7iIEo7g7N0fhGXa0mBRKo/Knowledge%20Harve
st%20Facilitation%20for%20SIKM%20Leaders%20071016.ppt> ). Note that this

katrina.pugh@fmr.com
Email <mailto:katrina.pugh@fmr.comEmail> Confidentiality Notice: The
[...]

<mailto:Richard%40McDermottConsulting.com>

Thanks.