Topics

Need help - Lessons Learnt Process #lessons-learned

sjagannath@...

Hi All,

Am looking for best practice’s in capturing/conducting Lessons learnt sessions or the process steps involved. This is for a IT services company. Please point me to any good resources or share documentation, if you may have.

Any guidelines, templates & tips/tricks for capturing salient points would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Srinivas Prasad J

Stan Garfield

--- In sikmleaders@..., sjagannath@... wrote:
> Am looking for best practices in capturing/conducting Lessons learnt
> sessions or the process steps involved.

From pages 85-86 of Implementing a Successful KM Programme:

Lessons learned: explaining what an individual or team has learned as a result of their experience, using documents, presentations, discussions, and recordings – including what they tried, what worked, what didn't work, what to do, what to avoid, problems faced, how problems were solved, what they would do differently, and key insights and nuggets.

It's easier to get people to talk about successes than about failures, but there is often more to be learned from the latter.  Designing a process to capture and reuse lessons learned from both can yield great benefits.

Lessons learned can be written down and stored in a repository, presented during a community meeting and recorded for later playback, and discussed in a roundtable on a conference call.  A facilitator can collect individual lessons learned from multiple people and compile them in a summary document.

Avoid capturing generic platitudes such as "it's important to have a good plan" or "involve support groups early."  Instead, look for nuggets such as "use one extra ounce of grease to lubricate the subassembly during routine maintenance to prevent engine failure."

Provide ways for lessons learned to be presented and discussed during community events.  Don't just publish them in a document or in a database.

Once an initial collection of lessons learned has been published, ensure that it is periodically reviewed and updated.  This should be part of the standard process for capturing, publishing, and maintaining lessons learned.

Consider scheduling a separate recurring conference call during which a team or individual is asked to discuss their lessons learned.  Record the calls, and write down the best ideas for publication.

Also see Tips for Capturing Lessons Learned: 5 Questions to Answer with Your Team by Adele Sommers.

Regards,

Stan

Gardner, Mike <Micheal.Gardner@...>

One of the things to be wary of is the creation of lessons learned for the sake of creating lessons learned. Lessons learned need to be part of a process that results in some update of documentation, where this is appropriate. If folk perform lessons learned and then nothing is done as a result of those discussions or documents, then next time the users will simply treat lessons learned as a step to be gone through and not as a vital part of a process.

A good lessons learned process needs to be seen to be providing benefit to the project and to the overall business. Internally to a project it needs to be done at the end of a project phase and those lessons need to be seen to be incorporated in to the project documentation (or approach) in the next phase of the project. For larger organizations there also needs to be a way to feed any comments back up the chain to enable the corporate processes to be updated.

In terms of how you go about lessons learned, then it is sometimes best to bring in an independent chairperson for a meeting who will allow everyone to comment and has no personal involvement. The best approach is often to get the whole of the team together and see how everyone feels. It is often the projects that have had the most problems that can provide the best lessons learned, so there must be a clear understanding that the session is meant to be an open and honest discussion of the problems and how things could be improved (in some cases it may be best to exclude the overall manager of the project to reduce any feeling of intimidation).

Where a project has been very large, it may be useful to get each part of the project to define their own lessons learned and then bring the representatives together afterwards to identify the overall lessons learned..

Mike Gardner
EDS CIO EKM Team - EDS Taxonomist & Content Rationalization Leader
Telephone: +44 (0) 1332 227367 (Hudson House) - Mon
+44 (0)1332 663964 (Home Office) - Tue - Fri
Mobile: +44 (0)7790 492991
Hudson House, Derby, UK
micheal.gardner@...

This email contains information which is confidential and may be privileged. Unless you are the intended addressee (or authorised to receive for the addressee) you may not use, forward, copy or disclose to anyone this email or any information contained in this email. If you have received this email in error, please advise the sender by reply email immediately and delete this email.

Electronic Data Systems Ltd
Registered Office:, Lansdowne House, Berkeley Square, London  W1J 6ER
Registered in England no: 53419
VAT number: 432 99 5915

> Am looking for best practices in capturing/conducting Lessons learnt
> sessions or the process steps involved.

From pages 85-86 of Implementing a Successful KM Programme:

[...]

Here's a blog post by Dave Snowden which may be of interest:

Learning lessons or lessons learnt?

pattianklam <patti@...>

Hi,

You may want to take a look at Marilyn Darling's work in Emergent Learning . We used her EL Map process in my group at Nortel.  It differs from many of the standard lessons learned processes in that it is situated in action. That is, the method provides a way to immediately take learnings from one event or process and apply them to  an upcoming or planned similar event.  I use EL maps for my own learning process.

http://www.signetconsulting.com/concepts/emergent_learning.php

/patti anklam
http://www.pattianklam.com/

--- In sikmleaders@..., sjagannath@... wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Am looking for best practice’s in capturing/conducting Lessons learnt
> sessions or the process steps involved. This is for a IT services company.
> Please point me to any good resources or share documentation, if you may
> have.
>
> Any guidelines, templates & tips/tricks for capturing salient points would
> be really helpful. Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
> Srinivas Prasad J

Kaplan, Bill <bill.kaplan@...>

Patti—

Thanks for this. We call the same concept(s) “Dynamic Learning” and have incorporated the Army’s After Action reviews (AAR) with two other of what we call “Fast Learning” processes for learning before and learning after. We have also tied this to our quality concept, strategy, and practice and integrated this with our training. This ensures not only that our operating and business processes are aligned with the training necessary to execute based on current learnings and insight, but also that our internal and external delivery exceeds expectations as part of the way we work.

Best

Bill Kaplan

CKO

Acquisition Solutions, Inc.