Anyone have any contacts at Ideo? #SNA-ONA-VNA

Tom Short <tom.short@...>

I am looking for an introduction there. If anyone has any contacts
there, especially here in the Bay Area, and would be willing to make
an intro, please let me know.

Thanks!
-Tom

Patti Anklam <patti@...>

Hi, Tom,

did you try Linked In? it seems a natural place for such a question. just curious.

/patti

Patti Anklam

patti@pattianklam.com

Quoting Tom Short <tom.short@pge-corp.com>:

I am looking for an introduction there. If anyone has any contacts
there, especially here in the Bay Area, and would be willing to make
an intro, please let me know.

Thanks!
-Tom

Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>

Maybe Tom is looking to "close a triangle" -- get a direct introduction? Always the preferred route!

LinkedIn often does not work for a quick/effective intro -- especially if the LinkedIn network path you need to utilize contains people who really don't know each other -- which happens quite a bit. LinkedIn/Facebook/other SNS have become polluted with unusable links[i.e. network noise] because some folks on on these sites will accept any invitation, while others are in a race towards 'my network is bigger' and want to get as many people in their direct circle as possible, even if many/most are strangers. These links often fail when it comes time to activate and use them in finding a path to someone you seek. Just because a 'mathematical path' exists in a network does not mean it will be found, or be effectively utilized.

I'd be interested in hearing both + and - experiences in meeting key people through a connection via LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.

Valdis
valdis@orgnet.com
http://www.orgnet.com

On Dec 10, 2007, at 1:12 PM, Patti Anklam wrote:

Hi, Tom,

did you try Linked In? it seems a natural place for such a question.
just curious.

/patti

Patti Anklam

patti@pattianklam.com

Quoting Tom Short <tom.short@pge-corp.com>:

I am looking for an introduction there. If anyone has any contacts
there, especially here in the Bay Area, and would be willing to make
an intro, please let me know.

Thanks!
-Tom

Yahoo! Groups Links

Patti Anklam <patti@...>

I agree with you Valdis -- what's funny is that what I would do with
LinkedIn is to find only 2nd degree connections, and as LinkedIn will
tell me the names of those people, I would then know who I would want
to call on the phone and talk to them about whether their connection
at IDEO (or wherever) is the right person for me to connect with.

--

Patti Anklam
hutchinson associates

Quoting Valdis Krebs <valdis@orgnet.com>:

[...]

I tried that and only got as close as a 3 steps between myself and anyone[not necessarily in the domain Tom seeks] @ Ideo -- sorry Tom, I won't be your boundary spanner. Do you get any 2 step links, Patti? And if you do, then those are 3 step paths for Tom -- assuming you know Tom and the person you connect to in Ideo is the right person for Tom(or knows the right person), otherwise we go to a 4 step path... and start to run into the network horizon and the problems I described.

Can anyone reach the right person in Ideo in either 1 step or following Patti's approach on either LinkedIn or Facebook? If this list is sufficiently diverse & open [i.e. we are not one big cul de sac or clique], then the math is on Tom's side for a few recommended links that 'cross the chasm' in a short enough path.

Valdis
valdis@orgnet.com
http://www.orgnet.com

On Dec 10, 2007, at 2:05 PM, Patti Anklam wrote:

[...]

David Snowden <snowded@...>

You guys mind if I blog this conversation and quote you?
In the same circumstances I would (i) blog the request and (ii) put up a wall and status message on Facebook.  I might try Linked In, and so far it seems to work

Dave Snowden
Founder & Chief Scientific Officer
Cognitive Edge Pte Ltd

Now blogging at www.cognitive-edge.com

On 10 Dec 2007, at 19:28, Valdis Krebs wrote:

> [...]

>> accept any invitation, while others are in a race towards 'my network
>> is bigger' and want to get as many people in their direct circle as
>> possible, even if many/most are strangers. These links often fail
>> when
>> it comes time to activate and use them in finding a path to someone
>> you
>> seek. Just because a 'mathematical path' exists in a network does not
>> mean it will be found, or be effectively utilized.
>>
>> I'd be interested in hearing both + and - experiences in meeting key
>> people through a connection via LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.
>>
>> Valdis
>> valdis@orgnet.com
>> http://www.orgnet.com
>>
>> On Dec 10, 2007, at 1:12 PM, Patti Anklam wrote:
>>

>>> Hi, Tom,
>>>
>>> did you try Linked In? it seems a natural place for such a question.

Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>

Sure, go ahead. ...two SNA practitioners in a problem-solving
discussion... should be a learning experience for many... including
Patti and I!

Although... I hope I don't get ex-communicated from LinkedIn for
revealing a skeleton in their closet... ;-)

Valdis

Now blogging at www.cognitive-edge.com

[...]

Wow - what a discussion that request triggered...interesting all by itself.

Regarding trying LinkedIn, yes, tried it several times.  Main issue is as Valdis has already described - I only have 3rd order and higher connections.  I figured - well, ok, so first I'll scan the list of Ideo people that I have 3rd order connections to. I'll pick the one  who would be my preferred starting point in terms of learning  more about Ideo (which is my goal).  Then I'll look at who my 3rd order connections are, send them a quick note, and ask them to do me a favor and figure out who *their* connections are to my Ideo target, use some social capital to get them to broker the intro, and away we go.

Looked good on paper - didn't work.  Not only did I not get any offers for help from the two or three people I asked in my network, I didn't even get a reply from them to my request!  The nerve of some people ;-)

Anyway, that was back in October or so.  I checked my connections again a few days ago and nothing had changed, and I'm still quite interested in finding someone there to meet with, so I figured I'd post to this group, and see if I might turn up some 2nd or 3rd order connects I didn't know I had (not everyone on this board is in my LinkedIn network, yet I still feel like I know many of you).

And fwiw, in terms of successes using LinkedIn, one thing I have used it for successfully in the past is finding IBMers.  Being an IBM alum (7 yrs with them), I feel like I can leverage Big Blue's most excellent culture of open connectivity and reach out to any IBMer (sometimes former employees, but always current ones), call them out of the blue, introduce myself as an alum, and they will talk to me.  I did this when I was interviewing with PG&E, and wanted to learn more about the company from someone with an insider's perspective.  I found a Director at IBM who listed in his LinkedIn profile 17 years of experience with PG&E before
he jointed IBM (I searched in LinkedIn using both companies as search terms) - a perfect contact for me.  Even though this gentlemen was in quite a high position, he took my call and we talked for an hour or so - right out of the blue, no appointment, no secretary.  Really quite impressive, and entirely consistent with my experience when I worked at IBM.

May be more info that you wanted - my attempt to address the various questions/topics that you all raised in your posts.

As for Dave's request - I have no objection to your posting this conversation on your blog.

Happy holidays, all.  (And I'm still looking for that Ideo contact - I'm also trying the cold-call approach - still no success).

rgds,
-Tom

--- In sikmleaders@..., "Tom Short"
wrote:

> I am looking for an introduction there. If anyone has any contacts
> there, especially here in the Bay Area, and would be willing to
make
> an intro, please let me know.
>
> Thanks!
> -Tom

--- In sikmleaders@..., "Tom Short" wrote:

> I am looking for an introduction there. If anyone has any contacts
> there, especially here in the Bay Area, and would be willing to make
> an intro, please let me know.
>
> Thanks!
> -Tom

Tom Short <tom.short@...>

Yes, it's too bad that the whole "competitive network building"
mentallity has taken hold in Linked In. Now, when I see connections to
people who show more than about 100 (or really even 50), my optimism
about their usefulness drops a lot. The best ones are 2nd order hits
with people who have less than 30 or so connections - then I'm quite
optimistic that they would be able to help make the connection.
Anything in the 100 range is suspect, and anything over 200 is a
writeoff.

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, Valdis Krebs <valdis@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom,

I have about 100 contacts on LinkedIn and I have been diligent in just connecting to those people I really know [I even deleted over a dozen that I realized I really don't know]. My bar for a connection is set at: I either met in person and have collaborated or have worked together online, but no F2F contact. Most of my LI contacts are people I have known for years. Yet, there are still plenty of contacts I have who are not on LI. I bet Patti's connections are also well-filtered. I keep the "BS" filter on LI at about 500, but expect some noise and disconnects at half of that.

Valdis

On Dec 11, 2007, at 12:47 PM, Tom Short wrote:

[...]

Tom, can you be more descriptive of the Ideo contact you would like to make? People have multiple paths to them thru multiple interests/ associations/memberships [like you & the IBM/PGE exec you described] -- the more we know the more alternate paths we may be able to come up with.

On Dec 11, 2007, at 12:43 PM, Tom Short wrote:

Looked good on paper - didn't work. Not only did I not get any offers for help from the two or three people I asked in my network, I didn't even get a reply from them to my request! The nerve of some people ;-)
This is what happens when people "over-connect" -- it is easy to accept a connection request, but then a hassle to help one of those connections, who is really a stranger. Those people who will connect with anyone are sometimes derisively called "link whores". We all suffer when the paths are blocked/diverted by link whores. Tom, you are probably not making it down the path because of someone else's poor choice of connections.

Valdis

Peter Marshall <peter.marshall@...>

Fascinating discussion.

I just checked and see that I have 134 connections... Perhaps it's a
self-selection phenomenon, but I find that I tend to see people with
over 200 or 250 connections as link whores, but also see those with <
50 as technophobes of some kind.. I think there's a sweet spot of
about 100-150 real connections. Like Valdis, I have been
conscientious about only accepting real connections.

Having said that, it's obvious that "system gaming" behavior is
happening on LI. If everyone used the connections feature to identify
their "relationships", then traversing trusted contacts would work...
but since it is valuable for some people to appear connected or to be
on pathways, people try to game it and distort the data.

Perhaps Google's greatest strength as a platform is that it's
fundamental algorithm remains "un-gamed", although there are many
strategems to game Google, and once in awhile threats appear that
actually undermine Google's effectiveness and the market shudders.
But generally, Google has been very effective at maintaining the
integrity of it's "if I'm connected to many well-connected sites, then
my reputation is high" algorithm, by ruthlessly pruning sites that use
exploits to appear to be well-connected.

This suggests that a connection-validation strategy would be helpful
for LI and similar sites. Perhaps something that required both
parties to rate the relationship, and ignore links that were not
mutually validated. Other ideas here?

One more point -- I have found the best use of LI -- as other have --
to simply scan my one-level connections for likely hits on some
request, and then communicate with them outside of LI... Of much less
value, but has worked twice: searching and then following up with 2nd
level hits, where I have a strong 1st level connection to them. No
other approach has ever worked for me.

One more note -- although MOST link whores are useless, there are some
people that maintain high quality connections to many many people and
are highly effective brokers. These are jewels, and finding them is
priceless. Adam Rifkin is my personal connection to the universe and
has been an absolute gold mine, and he has links well into the
thousands.

Peter

On Dec 11, 2007 1:33 PM, Valdis Krebs <valdis@orgnet.com> wrote:

[...]

SVP, Platform Strategy & Professional Services
Peracon, Inc.
www.peracon.com
McLean, VA Office: (703) 748-7517
Newport Beach, CA Office: (949) 706-6757
Mobile: (949) 689-7000
Skype: ideasware

Patti Anklam <patti@...>

I concur with Valdis on 2 of his notes today. I'm pretty careful about filtering my LinkedIn contacts, so while I have quite a few they are all people I know I could make a safe connection with.

Also -- very interesting given earlier postings, is that Tom's original message to this list didn't provide context for what type of person, at what level, in what role, that he was looking for at Ideo. Having that information would have made it somewhat easier for people who do have contacts there...

/patti
(978)456-4175

I have about 100 contacts on LinkedIn and I have been diligent in just
connecting to those people I really know [I even deleted over a dozen
that I realized I really don't know]. My bar for a connection is set
at: I either met in person and have collaborated or have worked
together online, but no F2F contact. Most of my LI contacts are
people I have known for years. Yet, there are still plenty of
contacts I have who are not on LI. I bet Patti's connections are also
well-filtered. I keep the "BS" filter on LI at about 500, but expect
some noise and disconnects at half of that.

Valdis

On Dec 11, 2007, at 12:47 PM, Tom Short wrote:

> Yes, it's too bad that the whole "competitive network building"
> mentallity has taken hold in Linked In. Now, when I see connections
> people who show more than about 100 (or really even 50), my optimism
> about their usefulness drops a lot. The best ones are 2nd order hits
> with people who have less than 30 or so connections - then I'm quite
> optimistic that they would be able to help make the connection.
> Anything in the 100 range is suspect, and anything over 200 is a
> writeoff.
>

> --- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, Valdis Krebs wrote:
>>
>> Maybe Tom is looking to "close a triangle" -- get a direct
>> introduction? Always the preferred route!
>>
>> LinkedIn often does not work for a quick/effective intro --
>> especially
>> if the LinkedIn network path you need to utilize contains people who
>> really don't know each other -- which happens quite a bit.
>> LinkedIn/Facebook/other SNS have become polluted with unusable
>> links[i.e. network noise] because some folks on on these sites will
>> accept any invitation, while others are in a race towards 'my network
>> is bigger' and want to get as many people in their direct circle as
>> possible, even if many/most are strangers. These links often fail
>> when
>> it comes time to activate and use them in finding a path to someone
> you
>> seek. Just because a 'mathematical path' exists in a network does not
>> mean it will be found, or be effectively utilized.
>>
>> I'd be interested in hearing both + and - experiences in meeting key
>> people through a connection via LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.
>>
>> Valdis
>> valdis@...
>> http://www.orgnet.com

Tom Short <tom.short@...>

Makes me wonder where there is some sort of inverse rule of the six degrees of separation. Maybe it's the 18 Links of Gold...All you need is to be connected to one of them, and you are connected to the world...

Funny enough, after I wrote the above, I continued reading the NYTimes Sunday Magazine article "The 7th Annual Year in Ideas," and in finishing up the article, read the last Idea, entitled Zygotic Social Networking.  Here, a snippet:

According to its Web site, GeneTree's goal is to take any two people in the world, "sit them down and show them exactly how they're related." If you're a mitochondrial "H," you share a haplogroup with 40 percent of all people of European descent. This is what Woodward calls "deep linking."   - Mailia Wollan, New York Times Magazine, Sunday, 12/9/2007.

Guess the question is, what does such "deep linking" mean, in terms of social networking?  What sort of inherent social capital does such linking imply or convey?

--- In sikmleaders@..., "Peter Marshall"
wrote:

[snip]

> One more note -- although MOST link whores are useless, there are some
> people that maintain high quality connections to many many people and
> are highly effective brokers. These are jewels, and finding them is
> priceless. Adam Rifkin is my personal connection to the universe and
> has been an absolute gold mine, and he has links well into the
> thousands.
>
> Peter

Jack Vinson <jackvinson@...>

Tom-

I'm a little late here, but I have contacts at the Evanston, IL office.

But... As always, it would be helpful to understand what you are looking
for before I make the introduction. We are all busy people, after all. And
it isn't a very strong connection. (They've been guest lecturers in my KM
class at Northwestern.) Another option is to check with your friends in
academia that are near Ideo -- they may be doing projects together.

As far as LinkedIn goes, I've nearly 500 connections and I have attempted to
only link to people I've met in some way. I will totally admit that there
are people in there that I don't really "know." And I actually clean out my
connections from time-to-time. AND I try to forward along any requests
where I can help. I also have a huge contact list in my local address book
-- as I am sure many other people do.

I also echo Dave Snowden's suggestion. Try using your other passive social
networks: post a status on Facebook or a query on Twitter (to name some of
the popular places).

Regards,

Jack Vinson, Ph.D.
http://www.jackvinson.com