March 2008 SIKM Call: John McQuary and Tara Keithley - Fluor's Knowvember Campaign #monthly-call #success-stories

peteranthonyglick <peteraglick@...>

John and Tara, thank you for this interesting and valuable insight into
FLUOR's KM success stories.
I had no time to ask my 2nd question so will do so here.
KM seems to now be engrained in your organization's culture, processes
and systems, so what next? What is(are) you next KM challenge(s)?
Where do you see the need for significant improvements?

Regards
Peter-Anthony Glick
http://leveragingknowledge.blogspot.com

TO: SIKM Leaders Community

Today we held our 34th monthly call.  Here is a summary.

Attendees

  1. Patti Anklam
  2. Dale Arseneault
  3. Peter Baloh
  4. Jim Coogan
  5. Allan Crawford
  6. Art De Villar
  7. Michael Dieterle
  8. Marcus Funke
  9. Stan Garfield
  10. Peter-Anthony Glick
  11. Kent Greenes
  12. Linda Hummel
  13. Tara Keithley
  14. Deann Kutzer (not a member)
  15. Darcy MacPherson
  16. Doug Madgic
  17. Ken Martin
  18. Mark May
  19. Ashley McGrady
  20. John McQuary
  21. Mark Neff
  22. Grace Pennington
  23. Kate Pugh
  24. Tom Reucker
  25. Bruce Richard
  26. Carol Rozwell
  27. Frances Shanahan
  28. Pooja Songar
  29. Wout Steurs
  30. Erick Thompson
  31. Peter West

The call featured John McQuary and Tara Keithley of Fluor on "Results from the Knowvember Campaign."  Their presentation is available at Fluor Knowvember Campaign.pdf.

The call was recorded.  Thanks to John and Tara for presenting.  Here are some comments from the participants: "John and Tara, thank you for this interesting and valuable insight into Flour's KM success stories."  "Great meeting today!"  "Enjoyed the call."  "Thank you for another great call."

The discussion continued in this thread and here.

Future Calls

  • April 15, 2008: Jim Coogan of Boeing - "KM at Boeing"
  • May 20, 2008: Stacie Jordan of Accenture - "Collaboration efforts at Accenture"
  • June 17, 2008: Barry Dayton of 3M - "KM at 3M"
  • July 15, 2008:  Steve Wieneke of GM - "Replacing a Lessons Learned Database with a Visible Learning Process"
  • August 19, 2008: Bernadette Boas - "Day in the Life Business Workflow"
  • September 16, 2008: Hubert Saint-Onge - "Collaboration and the New Enterprise"
  • October 21, 2008: Richard McDermott - "Developing, Deepening and Retaining Expertise"
  • November 18, 2008: John Hovell of ManTech - "KM at ManTech International"
  • December 16, 2008: Andrew Gent of HP - "KM at HP"
  • January 20, 2009: Carol Gillis of HP - "ROI for KM"

Albert Simard <simarda@...>

I succeeded in joining, but got cut off shortly afterwards.  When I tried to rejoin, the code wasn't accepted.  Oh well, perhaps next time.

Al Simard

Stan Garfield

cincibuckeyenut <cincibuckeyenut@...>

You weren't alone, Al. I had same problem.

Michael Fulton

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Simard" <simarda@...> wrote:

I succeeded in joining, but got cut off shortly afterwards. When I
tried to rejoin, the code wasn't accepted. Oh well, perhaps next
time.

Al Simard

john.mcquary@...

Peter,

There are always challenges and opportunities.  One challenge we face is rapid turnover of community leaders and knowledge managers. With company-wide growth also comes new opportunities, so we have seen approximately 80% turnover. Getting the new leaders up to speed without losing community momentum is a challenge. Tools we have introduced to address this challenge is a transition checklist and a community audit process.

A second challenge is loss of knowledge due to retirements and poaching. We are introducing a knowledge loss risk assessment to help address the pending retirements. Loss due to poaching remains a challenge.

A third challenge is keeping up with technology. One part is to make sure the technology is up to date with current web-based capabilities and methods. A second part is to try to limit other tools from encroaching into our enterprise-wide KM space.

Areas for improvement include new delivery approaches for content including formatting of the attached content, being more proactive in applying knowledge, and embedding our KM tool into other applications (something like right-click the mouse from any application and see related knowledge, experts, etc. ).

Regards,
John McQuary
Vice President
Technology Strategies &
Knowledge Management
Fluor Corporation
281-263-2533

John and Tara, thank you for this interesting and valuable insight into
FLUOR's KM success stories.
I had no time to ask my 2nd question so will do so here.
KM seems to now be engrained in your organization's culture, processes
and systems, so what next? What is(are) you next KM challenge(s)?
Where do you see the need for significant improvements?

Regards
Peter-Anthony Glick
http://leveragingknowledge.blogspot.com

Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>

John,

Do you look at individual loss, or the ripple effects also? A key player leaves and all connected to him/her are also affected... especially if the person was a bridge/liaison.

Valdis

On Mar 19, 2008, at 10:43 AM, john.mcquary@fluor.com wrote:

A second challenge is loss of knowledge due to retirements and poaching. We are introducing a knowledge loss risk assessment to help address the pending retirements. Loss due to poaching remains a challenge.

Peter West

John and Tara,

Many thanks for a deeply engaging and stimulating presentation.

Upon reflection, a number of questions come to mind ...

1.) Do you (or community leaders) scan Unanswered questions, looking for patterns (e.g., areas of knowledge that may be critical to current/future services or clients, but not available - along the lines of - do we know what we don't know?)?

2, Conversely, do you (or community leaders) scan Answered questions, looking for patterns (e.g., areas of knowledge that represent opportunities for new/expanded services or clients)?

3. In your new staff orientation-sessions, do you have content that deals explicitly with - what for many people/organizations is a stigma - asking questions (revealing that you don't know)?

4. Do you (or community leaders) embed links to external knowledge sources (e.g., industry experts, journal articles, books, and/or other media)?

I apologize for the number of questions, but you really got me thinking.

Appreciatively,
Peter West
Continuous Innovation

Albert Simard <simarda@...>

Thank goodness!

I say that because those who guard our gate to cyberspace are very thorough in their appointed task.  That often means that we can't do the work that we're paid to do, but that's not their problem.  (something about foxes guarding the chickens).

I am comforted to know that this isn't the case this time.

Thanks

Al Simard

john.mcquary@...

Valdis,

Sorry for the late replies, I was out for a few days last week.

Yes, we do look at the ripple effect, as well as the potential impact of
backfilling with a less experienced individual, especially in the case of
poaching. Another consideration is that when a bridge/liaison leaves,
he/she takes the strong relationships which may lead to further poaching.
For that reason, we have implemented a number of retention mechanisms for
some of these key individuals.

Regards,
John

|---------+--------------------------------->
| | Valdis Krebs |
| | <valdis@orgnet.com> |
| | Sent by: |
| | sikmleaders@yahoogrou|
| | ps.com |
| | 03/19/2008 10:21 AM |
| | Please respond to |
| | sikmleaders |
|---------+--------------------------------->
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| |
| |
| To|
| sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com |
| cc|
| |
| Subject|
| Re: [sikmleaders] Today's telconf on FLUOR's KM success stories |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

John,

Do you look at individual loss, or the ripple effects also? A key
player leaves and all connected to him/her are also affected...
especially if the person was a bridge/liaison.

Valdis

On Mar 19, 2008, at 10:43 AM, john.mcquary@fluor.com wrote:

A second challenge is loss of knowledge due to retirements and
poaching. We are introducing a knowledge loss risk assessment to help
address the pending retirements. Loss due to poaching remains a
challenge.

john.mcquary@...

Peter,

Here are responses to your questions.

1.) Do you (or community leaders) scan Unanswered questions, looking for
patterns (e.g., areas of knowledge that may be critical to
current/future services or clients, but not available - along the lines
of - do we know what we don't know?)?

We try very hard to not have any unanswered questions. We measure the
communities on responding to questions within 48 hours. Most questions
have multiple responses within 24 hours. Due to the complexity of many of
the questions, it would take a significant effort to analyze each question
for completeness of the answer. Also, our underlying theme is connecting
people to people and this is often necessary with forum questions to gain
additional information and context to complete the answering process.

Our real goal is answering all questions within 48 hours, not just
responding to them. I don't believe you should set a faster goal due to
nature. If the subject matter experts are spread across the globe, then we
need to let the earth spin on its axis twice. First to get the initial

2, Conversely, do you (or community leaders) scan Answered questions,
looking for patterns (e.g., areas of knowledge that represent
opportunities for new/expanded services or clients)?

We encourage the communities to close out their forum discussions by
examing the root cause for the question, or look for a pattern of
questions. Possible actions could include updates to practices and
procedures, changes in training material, or generation of new content.
This analysis though is a hard and time consuming task. With our
integrated enterprise-wide approach, search goes across all communities,
content, discussions, and profiles, so even when the discussions are not
closed out, it will surface in the search results.

3. In your new staff orientation-sessions, do you have content that
deals explicitly with - what for many people/organizations is a stigma -
asking questions (revealing that you don't know)?

We encourage participation, including asking questions, but we don't
specifically address from the stigma context.

4. Do you (or community leaders) embed links to external knowledge
sources (e.g., industry experts, journal articles, books, and/or other
media)?

One concept we try to follow is not to manage content that is managed by
someone else. We have quite a bit of external content indexed in our
search engine.

Regards,
John McQuary
Vice President
Knowledge Management and Technology Strategies

Fluor Corporation
One Fluor Daniel Drive
Sugar Land, TX 77478-3899

281-263-2533 (w)
281-263-2101 (f)
john.mcquary@fluor.com

Peter West

John,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide detailed answers - from which, I have gained a better understand of your emphasis on (and value of) "connection" over "content" (which others handle).

Many thanks,
Peter

peteranthonyglick <peteraglick@...>

Hi John
In relation to your answer to question 1 below, you mention that you
try not to leave any questions unanswered. Very good but of course
some of them must still be left without an answer, and others will
get an answer but not necessarily the best one (from the best expert)
it could have got internally.
My point here is that you are in effect relying on the "experts" with
an answer to connect and read the question. Your KM system has a
large user base but not everyone is using it regularly enough to
always stumble on the questions they can answer. Am I correct?

If yes, then would a next step potentially be to implement a solution
that would enable people to connect to the right experts for a given
problem directly?

Best regards,
Peter

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, john.mcquary@... wrote:

[...]

[...]
Regards,
John McQuary
Vice President
Knowledge Management and Technology Strategies

Fluor Corporation
One Fluor Daniel Drive
Sugar Land, TX 77478-3899

281-263-2533 (w)
281-263-2101 (f)
john.mcquary@...

hereby notified that any use, review, retransmission,
dissemination,

john.mcquary@...

Peter,

We operate under the banner of "Connecting Prople - Delivering Value". Our
KM technology is used extensively, but it is not a substitute for person to
person connections. With a workforce distributed around the globe, it is
often necessary for a person to connect to the tool and then to another
person, but that can take many forms. One might be to post a question.
Another might be to browse the community's SME's list and the phone, email,
or instant message chat with the expert. If the two people happen to be in
the same location then face to face is possible.

- John

"peteranthonyglick"
<peteraglick@aol.com>
Sent by: To
sikmleaders@yahoogrou sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com
ps.com cc
03/29/2008 11:40 AM
Please respond to Subject
sikmleaders [sikmleaders] Re: Follow-up Questions to "Results from the Knowvember
Campaign"