Motivational Techniques for Sharing Knowledge? #motivation #knowledge-sharing

sjagannath@...

Hi All,

What are the various means to motivate associates/employees for knowledge/information sharing.
I am looking at motivation techniques beyond the traditional alternatives such as
  1. Adding as part of an associates Critical Success Factor (CSF) / Key Performance Indicator (KPI)
  2. Providing rewards in monetary terms or gifts vouchers
  3. Recognizing associates in various forums

The audience I am trying to motivate would typical be associates who are hoarding product/domain/business knowledge being in the same organization for past few years.

Thanks and Regards,
Srinivas Prasad J

Pugh, Katrina <katrina.pugh@...>

Hi, Srinivas and others

At Fidelity we have three objectives that we have introduced at the CIO level (I am currently responsible for “KM for IT”).  These have been cascaded through the senior leadership team to managers’ objectives:

  1. Contribute
  2. Reuse
  3. Engage

We’ve identified specific metrics that roll-up into these, and we are creating a senior leadership team “package” on a quarterly basis.

That’s top down, but the more interesting thing is the way these feed off one another. People see value individually (say, by finding a knowledge asset or getting an answer) and then continue to engage and contribute.  Reuse success stories are as strong a draw (and often a stronger draw) as the hard metrics.

By the way, we talked with Stan Garfield (HP) to bench mark our use of these metrics. His organization also requires people become members of at least one community, and he publishes monthly reuse success stories.

Kate

Katrina Pugh
VP, Knowledge Management
IT Center of Excellence
Fidelity Investments, Personal and Workplace Investing
400 Puritan Way M3J
Marlborough, MA 01752
(O) 508 357 3236
(M) 781 258 0920
katrina.pugh@...
Email
Confidentiality Notice: The information in this email and subsequent attachments may contain confidential information that is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). This message or any part thereof must not be disclosed, copied, distributed or retained by any person without authorization from Fidelity Investments.

What are the various means to motivate associates/employees for knowledge/information sharing.
I am looking at motivation techniques beyond the traditional alternatives such as

1.      Adding as part of an associates Critical Success Factor (CSF) / Key Performance Indicator (KPI)

2.      Providing rewards in monetary terms or gifts vouchers

3.      Recognizing associates in various forums

The audience I am trying to motivate would typical be associates who are hoarding product/domain/business knowledge being in the same organization for past few years.

Thanks and Regards,
Srinivas Prasad J

Albert Simard <simarda@...>

Srinivas -

The three that you mention tend to be of the traditional burreaucratic / control / HR practice families.  Helpful, but none really overcome Dave Snowden's "knowledge cannot be conscripted, it must be volunteered."

Of your recognition group, one effective way would be having the boss (whether a CEO dealing with vice presidents or a manager dealing with staff) acknowledge finding something on a knowledge sharing site and using it for some purpose.  And doing this enough times so that people in high places begin to realize that they really mean it.  I watched a Deputy Minister overcome resistance to a departmental wiki by repeatedly saying that she wanted one, that she wanted material posted on it, and that she wouldn't read traditional briefing notes unless they were classified.

From an outcomes perspective, Ford learned that it was also necessary to recognize people who used posted lessons learned rather than reinventing something.  Both input and output approaches appeal to to "the boss and others are doing this and if I don't I'll be on the outside looking in."  Not very noble, but effective.

This gets into what I believe is one of the more effective group of techniques for encouraging sharing.  I believe in Sakaiya's idea that two things are necessary to motivate people to do something - it must be in their self-interest and they must understand that it is in their self interest.

As Davenport points out, trust is essential for knowledge markets to operate.  But to enstill trust, people first have to have participate, which means that they have to take a chance.  And, particularly in bureaucracies, taking chances is fundamentally foreign to the culture.  So, we are clearly in a chicken-and-egg or a catch-22 situation at the outset.

So, one has to look at various ways to make it in people's self interest to participate and to communicate that message to them.  I don't have a cook-book solution, but perhaps others have other concrete ideas along these lines.

Al Simard
National Manager, Knowledge Services
Canadian Food Inspection Agency

steven.wieneke@...

Hello Srinivas,

GM Engineering also publishes adoption and adaption (reuse) metrics for our product best practices. The reuse metric is a strong motivator for our experts now. To initiate sharing and documenting, moving form hoarding to sharing, must come from the top down with all of the enablers and rewards in place. There is a published case study (over six year time frame) available describing our successes, implementation phases and how our metrics changed from inception to sustained. Please reference: Adopting and Adapting Product Best Practices across General Motors Engineering Six Years Later,  Steven Wieneke, Technical Fellow, Global Engineering, General Motors Corporation, is available in Knowledge Management for Services, Operations and Manufacturing, Tom Young, Chandos Publishing, Oxford, England, 2008, pp. 142 - 165.

Regards,

Steven Wieneke
GM Technical Fellow
Global Technical Memory
Closed-Loop Learning Process
General Motors Corporation
586.492.4085

"Pugh, Katrina"
Sent by: sikmleaders@...

04/30/2008 07:58 AM

Please respond to
sikmleaders@...

cc
Subject
RE: [sikmleaders] Motivational Techniques for Sharing Knowledge?

[...]

sswarup44 <sswarup44@...>

Srinivas,

Some things to keep in mind about Reward and Recognition for
knowledge sharing

1. First and foremost: People with an abundance of knowledge rarely
need any motivation, let alone reward and recognition, for sharing
knowledge.

Very good example: Ollie Johnston, last of the Disney's great manual
animators, who recently died at age 85, was instrumental in creating
such time honored time classics, as Bambi, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, etc.

"…The knowledge that 30 feet of drawings, at 16 drawings a foot,
would have a running time of merely 20 seconds. But Mr. Johnston made
light of it, adoring the work and passing on his expertise
enthusiastically to others…" Economist, Apr 24, 2008

2. For people who do need motivation, I found peer recognition to be
most effective. At least that is what I learnt during my 7 years of
KM efforts at Ford Motor Company.

3. Monetary reward. Not sure if that is the right approach.

Sanjay Swarup
Program Manager KM
ManTech International

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "Pugh, Katrina"