Any culture specific initiatives - success story #metrics #culture #success-stories #knowledge-sharing #communications

sjagannath@...

All,

Am pondering on if any culture specific initiatives that could transform organization facilitating knowledge sharing.
Creating awareness through mails, presenting/sighting knowledge sharing examples in forums shall lead to transform the culture. But any other ideas/initiative that have provided culture specific results?

Also, any resources/ideas regarding measurement techniques for assessing the culture transformation would help.

Thanks & Regards
Srinivas

Peter-Anthony GLick <peteraglick@...>

Hello Srinivas

I am not sure that what you mean by "culture specific".  I am known (in the KM circles) to be a fervent prominent of cultural change as a prerequisite to effective K sharing, but I would not go so far as to identify culture specific initiatives.  A heap of initiatives can contribute to a corporate culture change but there prime objective will be to promote/incentivize K sharing & collaboration, with the cultural change being a by-product of the overall combination of these initiatives.
The first thing I should say is that for a K sharing culture to emerge (and it will take time) you need the organisation (its top mngt) to consider this objective as strategic.  I do not believe in the effectiveness of bottom-up approaches.  It might work at a team/departmental level but not at an organizational level.
the other thing is that you need the leaders to lead by example.  They need to show that they share their own knowledge and seek their collaborators' K.  The CEO's blog (with true interactivity with the staff) can be a very effective initiative to kick off a culture change.

As for a useful resource, check my blog on http://leveragingknowledge.blogspot.com and the posts about culture. I do link to other useful sources.

Rgds
Peter

michael_lipka <michael_lipka@...>

Srinivas-
Here are a few tactics which I've been associated with:

Use the KM main page as a communications channel from the top down.
This approach gives employees incentive if they want to find out what's
going on in an organization. It helps build the habit of using the site.

Make using the site a requirement in the performance planning process.
Instruct employees to register, create a profile, store documentation
or work products, and ask questions. Assess usage prior to performance
evaluation for your measurement needs.

Put the tools and resources an organization currently uses within the
KM site. This "forces" usage. Don't repeat the resources of other sites
or tools as you may cannibalize your site or another org site.

Hold contests- Works for an initial launch or a short term boost.

Solicit feedback. Ask a "Question of the Week" from employees and
present the results unedited. Follow up with new ideas and suggestions
if relevant.

Hope these Help

Mike Lipka