Smart People #periodicals

Jerry Ash <jash@...>

Smart People

In several person-to-person communications I've casually mentioned my
intention to leave Inside Knowledge magazine as its managing editor
and strike out on a new venture -- a magazine I will call Smart People.

Of course, the early questions are about the focus of Smart People and
I've responded that the details are in the formation stages but the
concept has been long coming. Smart People is the other end of
Knowledge Management -- where the rubber meets the road.

I've been following knowledge management (KM) for about 15 years and
for the past nine years I have been an expert/writer/editor on the
subject. I founded the Association of Knowledgework (AOK) nine years
ago and I've been managing editor of Inside Knowledge (IK) magazine
for a little over a year.

My original interest was in knowledge WORK, not management, but the
conversations always drew knowledge management practitioners and
thought leaders, not workers. I learned a lot, and gained worldwide
reputation, but my goal of broadcasting the news about the 'knowledge
phenomenon' and its promise to smart people was never realized.

People do not yet ralize the empowerment inherent in the arrival of
the Internet and social networking.

And so, in June I gifted AOK to a new owner in Israel and soon I will
leave IK as its managing editor to launch Smart People as a new media/
online publication.

I am using this note to encourage you to learn more about Smart People
and then engage with me in a collaborative conversation about what
Smart People should be. I believe deeply in collaboration and it makes
a whole lot of sense to launch Smart People by collaborating with
smart people.

To give you further insight into my view of the political, social and
economic impact of 'the knowledge phenomenon' on people, I'm going to
follow this post in a few days with another ... telling you a story
that demonstrates the power of smart people.

I hope a few of you will find this interesting enough to give me a
little of your time and talents. You can comment here, but please also
become my friend and also join my Smart People magazine development group.

Thanks.

Linda Hummel

Hi Jerry,
Count me in!  A loss to IK magazine certainly, but I look forward to your new Smart People magazine. I will sign up on your facebook site.

Best Regards,
Linda Hummel
937.602.3525