--- On Thu, 3/12/09, Stan Garfield wrote:
From: Stan Garfield Subject: [sikmleaders] Employee Engagement
To: sikmleaders@...
Date: Thursday, March 12, 2009, 6:44 PM

Welcome to new member Fred Nickols (Managing Partner, Distance Consulting, LLC).  I suggested that he join SIKM Leaders because he asked me, "Have you come across anything worth reading about employee engagement?"

If you can suggest any reading for Fred, please reply to this thread.  Many thanks.

Regards,
Stan

bkarney@...

About 10 years ago I heard a presentation from The Gallup Organization called "Building a Stronger Workplace: An Integrated Program of Measurement and Training" that I thought was absolutely brilliant.  My employer at the time did not purchase the program, so I don't have personal experience of it, but Gallup had been doing work around employee engagement for many years and I was convinced at the time that we could have gained a LOT of insight if we'd hired them.

In particular, I was impressed by "The 12 Questions That Matter," which was a slide that listed 12 statements that correlated with high job satisfaction and low turnover.  The statements, which are proprietary, were not necessarily ones that I would have thought of.  The most interesting (to me) was # 11: "I have a best friend at work."  The other 11 statements were all things that a good supervisor could do something about, but this one seemed unusual in that having a good friend at work really DOES improve job satisfaction (in my experience).

You can find all 12 questions by Googling the title of the slide.

Cheers,
Bruce Karney
650 450-0332
bkarney@...
Solar Photovoltaic Marketing and Finance Expert
http://www.linkedin.com/in/brucekarney
blogging at http://mvsolar.blogspot.com

Matt Moore <laalgadger@...>

Bruce,

This reminds me of an SNA project we did with 40 middle managers in a gov agency. We asked them who they went to for: i. advice on operational matters, ii. advice of managerial issues & iii. motivation & support. We also asked questions on the frequency of contact.

In contrast the answers for the first 2 questions, the results they gave us for iii. contained comparatively few fellow employees - it was family, friends, mentors at other organisations, teachers if they were in some form of education. The managers were shown the networks maps as part of a seminar and it elicited the comment: "Why would I seek emotional support from a work colleague?"

This is a legitimate response but for me it epitomised some of the things about the organisation (e.g. low levels of trust) that made it a very unengaging place to be.

Matt

Paul McDowall

This is one of the topics that my group has been researching over the last year. We conduct best practice research on topics of relevance to public administration. There are many frameworks and models of EE but as the result of our research, we concluded that it could be understood as consisting of Intellectual Engagement, Emotional Engagement and Social Engagement. In terms of resources, I would suggest you look at the Conference Board's research, and CLC's research. A good research study was also conducted for the Scottish public service. In addition, here are some of the monographs we reviewed.

The Human Equation: Building Profits by Putting People First
Jeffery Pfeffer; Harvard Business School Press; 1998

Creating Commitment: How to Attract and Retain Talented Employees
By Building Relationships That Last
Michael O'Malley; John Wiley & Sons; Inc; 2000

Retiring the Generation Gap: How Employees Young and Old Can
Find Common Ground
Jennifer J. Deal; Jossey-Bass; 2006

The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal
Jim Loehr; Free Press; 2003

Hot Spots: How Boundaryless Cooperation Fuels Innovation
Lynda Gratton; Barrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc.; 2007

Cheers
Paul McDowall
Acting Director, Best Practices
Knowledge Management Advisor
Canada School of Public Service

Nancy Settle-Murphy <nancy@...>

Hi everyone,

My favorite author on the topic of employee engagement is Roger D’Aprix. His latest book: The Credible Company: Communicating with Today’s Skeptical Workforce, published earlier this year by Jossey-Bass. I suspect that in the short time since he wrote this book, today’s workforce is every more skeptical, if not cynical. I have read all of his books, starting with The Believable Corporation, which helped launch my career many years ago as an employee communications manager. He is just as relevant today as he was back in the early 80’s, and I value his advice every bit as much as I did when I was just starting out.

-Nancy Settle-Murphy, Guided Insights

guidedinsights

breakthrough conversations for bottom-line results

Nancy Settle-Murphy, President

nancy@...   www.guidedinsights.com

978.263.2545/fax 978.263.3833/Skype nsmurphy2545

Great meetings, superb results---travel optional

P please consider the environment before printing this email

Steve Denning

Those concerned about issues of employee engagement might be interested in the annual Smithsonian symposium on organizational storytelling in Washington DC on April 16-18, 2009.

The sessions will have a particular significance this year in a time of crisis. We’ll be talking not just about how to put back together a world that seems to have fallen apart, but more importantly: how might we construct a world of exciting, energizing, vibrant organizations--organizations that we would like to work in and do business with--organizations where people are truly engaged?

Registration is open and ready at these links, with details of the all-star lineup of speakers:

Evening Workshop at Smithsonian: Introduction of Storytelling, Thursday April 16, 2009, 6:30 to 9:00 pm

All-Day Seminar at the Smithsonian: Storytelling and High-Performance Teams, Friday April 17, 2009, 9 to 5.

Golden Fleece Day Workshops: Why Story Matters Now More Than Ever: Exploring Contemporary Challenges, Saturday April 18, 2009, 8 to 5:30 at the National 4H Center.

For any and all, go to:  www.storyatwork.org

Register now. Do it today.

Hope to see you in April.

Steve