KM Grant Funding #question

Kiette Tucker <ktucker@...>

Hi SIKM Group,

I am relatively new the field of KM and work with a non-profit organization that pursues quality improvement in healthcare.  I have been following these emails for the last couple of months and soaking up every ounce of rich knowledge that passes through.  I now have a question to pose:

·         Is there any grant funding available for non-profit companies who would like to build Knowledge Management systems?  Where would be the best place to begin looking for this type of grant?

Will welcome any and all advice that you can offer.

Thank you,

Kiette

Kiette Tucker

Institute for Healthcare Improvement

http://www.ihi.org

20 University Road, 7th Floor

Cambridge, MA 02138

Phone:  617-301-4963

DeGard, Paulette H <Paulette.H.Degard@...>

Hi Kiette,

One possible organization to consider is the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation here in Seattle. They fund technology solutions for non-profits, schools, etc. and they have another organization that they started and fund call PATH, which is health care oriented for 3rd world countries. Bill Gates resigned from running Microsoft so that he could just manage his philanthropic work. (He is still Chairman of the Board, but that doesn’t take as much time as running Microsoft, J)

Here is a link to the B&M Foundation: http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Pages/home.aspx

Here is a link to PATH: http://www.path.org/

I know people who have gotten money from this foundation so it’s worth a shot. I hope this helps

Regards,

Paulette

Dr. Paulette DeGard

Knowledge Strategist

Lead, Process and Efficiency Team

Flight Deck

425-717-9238 (voice)

360-550-4099 (telecommute number on Fridays)

I am relatively new the field of KM and work with a non-profit organization that pursues quality improvement in healthcare.  I have been following these emails for the last couple of months and soaking up every ounce of rich knowledge that passes through.  I now have a question to pose:

·         Is there any grant funding available for non-profit companies who would like to build Knowledge Management systems?  Where would be the best place to begin looking for this type of grant?

Will welcome any and all advice that you can offer.

Thank you,

Kiette

Kiette Tucker

Institute for Healthcare Improvement

http://www.ihi.org

20 University Road, 7th Floor

Cambridge, MA 02138

Phone:  617-301-4963

Richard Vines <plessons@...>

Hi Kiette,

Here is a little feedback from Australia. I am involved in Quality / Knowledge management in the community sector here in the State of Victoria (although my background is much broader than this).

We have been attempting to address a wide range of issues similar to the sort of question you seem to be raising. The lessons we have learned is that it is useful to build network relationships in working towards quality solutions towards well conceived challenges (or problems), including the challenge of resourcing. So, for example, you might want to look at these websites around how we have conceived significant challenges as a pre-positioning for grant funding / projects to emerge from the shared contextual challenges of quality / knowledge management.

On the general website, you can scroll through and see how we have been building some general understanding of issues through

  • Looking at some of the lessons learned and challenges of integrating records, information, quality and knowledge management (also via networked partnerships)
  • A public forum on the topic of “The interoperability challenge”.

My sense is that KM (-QM) systems need to co-evolve with the human network systems and if they do and there is genuine co-commitment, the solutions and the resources begin to emerge.

Cheers for now,

Richard Vines

Melbourne Australia

I am relatively new the field of KM and work with a non-profit organization that pursues quality improvement in healthcare.  I have been following these emails for the last couple of months and soaking up every ounce of rich knowledge that passes through.  I now have a question to pose:

·         Is there any grant funding available for non-profit companies who would like to build Knowledge Management systems?  Where would be the best place to begin looking for this type of grant?

Will welcome any and all advice that you can offer.

Thank you,

Kiette

Kiette Tucker

Institute for Healthcare Improvement

http://www.ihi.org

20 University Road, 7th Floor

Cambridge, MA 02138

Phone:  617-301-4963

Jacob McNulty <jacob.mcnulty@...>

Hi Kiette,

I'm traveling home from APQC's conference and one of the presentations I attended was given by two KM people from Catholic Health Initiatives - a non-profit healthcare provider (www.catholichealthinit.org) They both provided their contact info at the conclusion of their talk and I'm sure they'd be happy to speak with you - if you're interested let me know and I'll send their contact info to you directly as I don't think they'd appreciate me putting it out there for everyone.

Sent from my Orbital RPM iPhone