What are the Top 3 Knowledge Management Services? #knowledge-services

sjagannath@...

Dear All,

What are the top* 3 services offered by Knowledge Management Group in your organization (predominantly internal)?
Note: Top* from the perspective of leadership support, acceptance by associates/employees, success/metrics/business benefits.

Would appreciate if you could highlight few points for each of the KM services around the parameters mentioned above.

I do understand that KM services will be relative to organizational needs. I am trying to understand the various services that can be offered.

Background: Trying to improve the set of services currently offered in my current organization. I am part of an IT organization, developing products & rendering services technology solutions to clients.

Salient services currently offered are maintenance of knowledge base & search (includes Best Practices, Lessons Learned, Tips/Tricks, internal case studies, etc.), building & nurturing communities, facilitating hosting/publishing information on KM portal, maintain experts list, facilitating knowledge sharing sessions, build & maintain reuse repository (software components).

Thanks,
Srinivas

Bill Dixon

Hello Srinivas,

It sounds like you have the major areas of KM covered in your list.

Within internal IT at EY, I would list in the following way:

1.       Content Management

2.       Consulting on knowledge container and sharing methodologies

3.       Providing thought leadership on the application of KM to IT

Regards,

Bill Dixon

Bill.dixon@...

[...]

Mark D Neff <mneff@...>

Good list Srinivas,

Within CSC our KM group supports:

1) Innovation and ideation services
2) Social software advocacy
3) Key community support
... and your list of services as time permits

Mark
706.447.8522

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in delivery.
NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose.

"Bill Dixon"
Sent by: sikmleaders@...

08/20/2009 07:37 PM

Please respond to
sikmleaders@...

cc
Subject
RE: [sikmleaders] What are the Top 3 Knowledge Management Services?

[...]

Stan Garfield

> What are the top 3 services offered by the KM Group in your organization?

In Deloitte Consulting:

·         KM Portal (including portal management and content management)

·         Project Experience (including qualifications and project deliverables)

·         People and Communities (including personal profiles and communities of practice)

Regards,
Stan

joeraimondo <jraimondo@...>

(1) Innovation -- developing a portfolio approach to intellectual assets so that they can be optimized, particularly around process knowledge. This becomes the raw material for process and product innovation
(2) Monetization -- developing and optimizing the portfolio of intellectual assets to result in new products, venture, and revenue sources.
(3) Stewardship -- capturing, amplifying and dissemination explicit and tacit organizational know-how and translating that into application or platform architecture.
= Joe Raimondo =
Iknow LLC

tombarfield75 <thomas.m.barfield@...>

This tends to adjust a little over time based on business need. Right now I'd list the following:
- Stewarding the collaboration strategy - with a focus now on community/social networking
- Improving findability and maintenance of key strategic knowledge - this past year we've focused on the offerings we take to market
- Driving vision and implementation requirements of the KM infrastructure (technology and people)

Tom Barfield
Accenture

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, sjagannath@... wrote:

[...]

Gotthart, Birgit (TS SIP EMEA Business Planning & Knowledge Management) <birgit.gotthart@...>

Hi,

In Hewlett-Packard (HP) that's basically:
  • KM Portals: Content management for our our standard solutions, including Sales, Bid and Delivery Kits
  • Project Material: Profiles of our external IT services projects and related project deliverables (including Proposals, Lessons Learned summary).
  • Forums (for communities and other specific topics)
BR,
Birgit

Birgit Gotthart
Technology Solutions Group
Technology Services - Infrastructure Consulting EMEA
Knowledge Management & Business Planning Coordination Lead
Hewlett-Packard Ges.m.b.H.
Wienerbergstrasse 41, A-1120 Wien
Tel.: +43(0)1/81118-6858
Fax: +43(0)1/81118-8080
Mobile: +43-(0)664/8112879
mailto:birgit.gotthart@...
http://www.hp.com/at

Firmenbuchgericht: Handelsgericht Wien; Firmenbuchnummer: FN94241s
> What are the top 3 services offered by the KM Group in your organization?

In Deloitte Consulting:

·         KM Portal (including portal management and content management)

·         Project Experience (including qualifications and project deliverables)

·         People and Communities (including personal profiles and communities of practice)

Regards,
Stan

Mark May

What are the top 3 services offered by the KM Group in your organization?

We don't really have a KM group in the IBM Integrated Technology Services business unit where I work.

But we do have KM-related areas of emphasis in ITS:
  • Repository of reusable IC for our standard services offerings (sales and technical content)
  • Methods and tools to support pre-sales and delivery
  • Centers of excellence to provide hands-on SMEs and to build and transfer skills and knowledge
  • Global communities of practice

Best regards,
Mark May
Program Manager
IBM Global Technology Services

Arthur Shelley

My top three "services" of knowledge management takes a slightly different perspective.
1. Stimulating "Conversations that Matter" (as opposed to general conversations or those without intent- which is different to "with purpose"). It is fine to have conversations without intent and these assist our social frabric and relationships. Conversations that matter have a purpose and a desired outcome (in general), but the specific outcome and may not be known in advance since the nature of the ideal conversation is emergent rather than predetermined (to enable the incorporation of unpredicted opportunities).

2. Build effective decision making capabilities through generation of experiential learning opportunities - predominately projects because this is how we change the world through the injection of new (applied) knowledge (and hopefully decommission some old knowledge at the same time. Projects are the ultimate knowledge transfer vehicles and a very much overlooked capability development opportunity for individuals, teams and the organisation as a whole (when strategically managed).

3. Enhance the performance of the organisation in tangible and intangible ways whilst shifting focus on the future. Knowledge workers influence best when they can engage participation and get people to understand the link between what people know and do with desired future outcomes. Sometimes this can be measured, but many times it can't be objectively assessed or directly attributed from a "cause and effect" perspective. When we embed the principles of knowledge management (loosely i mean generating of benefit from the knowledge assets we have access to (directly and through our networks) we are doing our best work. This is because we effectively get everyone to "do KM" without them realizing it. In effect we invisibly, but effectively, enhance the value created by all those around us.

Arthur

On 28/08/2009, at 10:03, Mark May <mdmay@...> wrote:

What are the top 3 services offered by the KM Group in your organization?

We don't really have a KM group in the IBM Integrated Technology Services business unit where I work.

But we do have KM-related areas of emphasis in ITS:

  • Repository of reusable IC for our standard services offerings (sales and technical content)
  • Methods and tools to support pre-sales and delivery
  • Centers of excellence to provide hands-on SMEs and to build and transfer skills and knowledge
  • Global communities of practice

Best regards,
Mark May
Program Manager
IBM Global Technology Services

Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>

Glad to see your #1 item Arthur. Without conversations that matter,
etc., the rest of knowledge work doesn't happen not matter how much we
"capture" and "transfer" and "store". Without #1, your #2 and #3
don't happen.

Valdis Krebs
http://orgnet.com

On Aug 27, 2009, at 9:43 PM, Arthur Shelley wrote:

[...]

Www.organizationalzoo.com

On 28/08/2009, at 10:03, Mark May <mdmay@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:

What are the top 3 services offered by the KM Group in your
organization?

We don't really have a KM group in the IBM Integrated Technology
Services business unit where I work.

But we do have KM-related areas of emphasis in ITS:

• Repository of reusable IC for our standard services offerings
(sales and technical content)
• Methods and tools to support pre-sales and delivery
• Centers of excellence to provide hands-on SMEs and to build and
transfer skills and knowledge
• Global communities of practice

Best regards,
Mark May
Program Manager
IBM Global Technology Services

Arthur Shelley

Valdis et al.,
I completely agree, conversations that matter are the beginning of
most great thinks. I would argue that behind every successful leader
there is continuous flow of open conversations.
In my time at Cadbury I would (only semijokingly) reply to "What do
you do?" with one of two comments:
1. I manipulate people's minds or
2. I'm the corporate dating service
The base level of how we (KM'ers) create value is to get people
together and engage them in open conversation in an environment where
they feel safe. From there good things start to flow.

Arthur
Www.organizationalzoo.com