Workshop on Managing and Leveraging Expertise November 10, 2009 in Washington DC #research #learning #expertise

Patrick Lambe

Hi folks

I'm going to be in Washington DC the week of 9-13 November for some client work, (the week before KM World) and I will have a free day on 10 November (Tuesday, the day before Veterans' Day).

Some of you will be aware I'm running with Matt Moore an expertise narrative research project, and part of our process is a series of sensemaking workshops, and I wondered if DC-based KMers (eg Federal KM Working Group folks) might be interested in participating/hosting one of these workshops on the 10th.

The workshop focuses on how organisations value and leverage (or fail to value and leverage) the expertise and experience of their people, so a diverse, multi-organisation group is just nice. In terms of manageable numbers, up to 30 pax is okay.

You can get some insight into the story material produced by other workshops at http://usingexpertise.blogspot.com, and at the raw outputs of the workshops at http://usingexpertise.wikispaces.com (which we plan to consolidate and analyse early in 2010). We are also currently running a survey to explore some emerging questions from the first cycle of workshops, at http://tinyurl.com/expertisesurvey.

The ultimate goal is to use this material to develop an open source framework, diagnostics and toolset for better exploitation and management of expertise in organisations.

It's a 3/4 day workshop:

1. Introduction to the project and the approach
2. Sharing stories/examples of how expertise/ experience are valued/not valued in participants' organisations
3. Working with these stories and other stories from the project to identify common themes, values and patterns of behaviour
4. Group work to discuss specific participant cases and to examine possible approaches (using our KM Method Cards)

For participants it's an opportunity to look at issues around expertise and experience management, compare issues with other organisations, and think about possible approaches... as well as an exposure to the narrative sensemaking techniques we use.

I don't charge for this workshop, as it's part of an open research project (we'll be doing a similar workshop at KM World), but am looking for folks who are willing to host or can recover the basic costs of venue and refreshments from participants (ie NOT a commercial event).

In terms of venue requirements... it's a very active workshop with lots of work in small groups and with tagging activity on the walls, so an open room with the ability to be flexible with chairs, and lots of postit friendly walls and/or windows. For the opening and final portion we usually have cluster seating around tables.

Let me know if anyone is interested in participating / has a possible lead on hosting possibilities / can see their way to hosting it.

Thanks!

Patrick

Patrick Lambe

Have you seen our KM Method Cards or
Organisation Culture Cards?

Simard, Albert <albert.simard@...>

Patrick –

I’d love to as I have a significant interest, but getting approval for foreign travel is a 2-3 month process.

Al Simard

[...]

Thanks to the generous support of the National Defense University in Washington DC and some hard work by  Neil Olonoff, Gretchen Schlag, Jeff Alexander, Janet Scheitle, Janice Herd and others, we'll be offering a free workshop on "Managing and Leveraging Expertise" on November 10, from 8am to 2pm. Full workshop details are given below. There is limited capacity (25 max) so participation is by first come first served registrations to Dr Brenda Roth at RothB@... . Do circulate this notice among your KM.Gov colleagues.

Venue: Room 184, Marshall Building (Building 62), National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington DC
Timing: 8am to 2pm (15 mins coffee break at 10am; 1 hour lunch break 12-1pm)
Cost: free, but you will need to buy your own refreshments at the cafeteria (we're looking at whether we can kick the day off with coffee and danish)
Register: RothB@...
Pre-workshop: you might find it useful to take our expertise survey at http://tinyurl.com/expertisesurvey
Directions: download the directions sheet from

The Workshop:
The workshop focuses on how organisations value and leverage (or fail to value and leverage) the expertise and experience of their people, so we prefer a diverse, multi-organisation group if we can get it.

The workshop activities are:

1. Introduction to our leveraging expertise project (presentation format)
2. Sharing stories/examples of how expertise/ experience are valued/not valued in participants' own organisations (group activity)
3. Working with these stories and other stories from other organisations to identify common themes, values and patterns of behaviour (large group activity working on walls/windows around the room, tagging and clustering stories)
4. Thinking about intervention design to meet the issues identified (group work to discuss specific participant cases and to examine possible approaches - using our KM Method Cards as an aid).

The Benefits:
For participants it's an opportunity to look at issues around expertise and experience management, compare issues with other organisations, and think about possible approaches... as well as an exposure to the narrative sensemaking techniques we use. As participants in the project they will also get access to the final report.

The Background:
Patrick Lambe and Matt Moore are running a public narrative research project on how organisations value and leverage their expertise. The social and organisational context of expertise management is not well understood - most research has focused on cognitive aspects of acquiring expertise, or generic knowledge transfer issues.

Our project starts by gathering examples of how expertise is actually managed or mismanaged across a wide variety of organisations and geographies. We are running a series of sensemaking workshops to identify significant patterns in these narratives, and the DC workshop is one of these. We have completed workshops in Australia and Dubai and will conduct another sensemaking workshop (with Nancy Dixon) in San Jose on November 16.

The story material produced by other workshops is at http://usingexpertise.blogspot.com" title="http://usingexpertise.blogspot.com">http://usingexpertise.blogspot.com, and at the raw outputs of the workshops are at http://usingexpertise.wikispaces.com (which we plan to consolidate and analyse early in 2010). We are also currently running a survey to explore some emerging questions from the first cycle of workshops, at http://tinyurl.com/expertisesurvey" title="http://tinyurl.com/expertisesurvey">http://tinyurl.com/expertisesurvey. Workshop participants should complete this survey if they can.

The final stage of this project aims to use the sensemaking material to develop an open source framework, diagnostics and toolset for better exploitation and management of expertise in organisations.

Best wishes and hoping to see you there!

Patrick Lambe

Have you seen our KM Method Cards or
Organisation Culture Cards?

Patrick Lambe

Sorry I missed the directions sheet to the venue: http://www.greenchameleon.com/uploads/Directions_to_Ft_McNair.doc

Best

On Oct 27, 2009, at 5:28 PM, Patrick Lambe wrote:

[...]

This is a last call for the workshop on "Managing and Leveraging Expertise" to be held in Washington DC a week from today. We have been booked into a slightly bigger room, so we still have a few places available. There is no charge for this workshop, as it's part of an open research project, more details below. (Matt Moore will also be presenting on some of the findings from this project so far in the November 17 Community Leader's Call).

Registrations to Dr Brenda Roth at RothB@... . Do circulate this notice among your KM.Gov colleagues.

Venue: Room 184, Marshall Building (Building 62), National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington DC
Timing: 8am to 2pm (15 mins coffee break at 10am; 1 hour lunch break 12-1pm)
Cost: free, but you will need to buy your own lunch at the cafeteria
Directions: download the directions sheet from http://www.greenchameleon.com/uploads/Directions_to_Ft_McNair.doc

The story material produced by other workshops is at http://usingexpertise.blogspot.com, and at the raw outputs of the workshops are at http://usingexpertise.wikispaces.com (which we plan to consolidate and analyse early in 2010). We are also currently running a survey to explore some emerging questions from the first cycle of workshops, at http://tinyurl.com/expertisesurvey. Workshop participants should complete this survey if they can.

The final stage of this project aims to use the sensemaking material to develop an open source framework, diagnostics and toolset for better exploitation and management of expertise in organisations.

Best wishes and hoping to see you there!

Patrick Lambe

Have you seen our KM Method Cards or
Organisation Culture Cards?

Patti Anklam <patti@...>