User Generated Content Retention / management question #ESN #wikis #content-management #blogs #social-media

Lee Romero

Hi all - I am looking for insights about standards that organizations
(especially for firms in regulated industries) might have around
retention of user generated content or social media content within the
enterprise.

The kinds of content platforms/tools that might be covered would be
things like: community discussion boards, mailing lists, wikis, blogs,
micro-blogging tools, etc.

The kinds of potential retention issues: Does your organization
mandate retention for potential discoverability? Does you
organization handle this type of content in a way different from how
your organization would handle email? Does your organization have any
standards for regular archiving or deletion of this type of content?
Perhaps policies or guidelines around how much moderation this type of
content might be subject to?

Thanks for any insights you can share.

Regards
Lee Romero

Larry Hawes

These are great questions, Lee. I have not seen any related data, but my gut tells me that most organizations haven't asked these questions yet. Management of UCG from social software will lag actual usage, just as retention of email and IM did.

Larry

Larry Hawes, Lead Analyst
Collaboration and Enterprise Social Software
Gilbane Group
763 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139
617-497-9443 x154