Knowledge Management Metrics #metrics

Jeevan Kamble

Dear All,

Sorry that I am raising the old discussion point once again on Knowledge Management Metrics / methods i.e. over all benefit realization / Business Value Realization in KM - CoP, knowledge sharing, assets, Dollar benefits, time saving, Web 2.0 deployments etc.

More over it could be quantitative, qualitative, participative or contributions.

Would like to know the latest trend or any new form of metrics model or any good old method to leverage.

Thanks & regards
Jeevan

Lee, Jim <jlee@...>

While we continue to work with those who want and need specific measures of KM impact to their businesses, we now focus our thought leadership at a more strategic level of measurement. That is, we have recently deployed a Stages of KM Maturity model and associated diagnostic tool. Similar in design to the SEI-CMMI (we in fact used Bill Curtis as an SME), we find that senior leadership in particular, are able to grasp the desirability and even need to be measured this way. The ability to see how an organization maps against the maturity levels in an absolute sense, and against peers in a relative sense, not only facilitates “selling” the need for KM, it helps with the change management that must accompany additional investments in KM.

……………………………………....

Jim Lee, PMP

KM Senior Advisor, APQC

+1-713-893-7790 - Direct

+1-216-338-3548 - Mobile

jlee@...

www.apqc.org

adunlapkraft <abdunla@...>

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "Lee, Jim" <jlee@...> wrote:

[...]

jlee@... <mailto:jlee@...>

www.apqc.org <http://www.apqc.org/>
In IBM we had taken a similar approach of measuring maturity of our communities, but as a way to identify areas for improvement.

We also had a community business impact study that focused on the value that active members (i.e., a subset of members) received from the community. It was delivered formally by our corporate survey group. What was especially useful was when we included in it several of the same questions that appear on the global enterprise employee satisfaction survey. Members who get a lot of value from their community also are more satisfied with their jobs, and more of them say their work gives them a feeling of personal accomplishment. In fact, the delta between the community members in the business impact study and the overall results for the BU sponsoring the community was 27 percentage points. This was pretty eye-popping to executives.