Topics

Knowledge Management Valuation #value

Murray Jennex

I'm following the discussion on metrics with interest and wanted to post an opportunity to discuss this further at a symposium on Valuing Knowledge Based Initiatives that I'm leading at the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences in Kauai, Hawaii on Tuesday, January 5  (see http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/hicss_43/apahome43.htm )  additionally the conference features 2 days of paper presentations on KM.

I'm inviting attendance as well as an opportunity to present.  The symposium will feature paper presentation on valuing KM.  The papers do not have to be finalized until after the symposium but need to able to presented and discussed with the goal of giving the presenters and feedback on how to improve the ideas presented.  The final papers will be posted on the HICSS symposium website as well as included in a special issue of the International Journal of Knowledge Management.  If you are interested in presenting please let me know and I will need an abstract.  The purpose of the symposium is below:

The purpose of this symposium is to present research on how to value knowledge based initiatives.  ROI calculations and traditional accounting approaches do not tell an adequate story when proposing knowledge based initiatives.  Practitioners are adding in anecdotes and user stories to bolster the value of proposed initiatives.  Do these stories and anecdotes have a theoretical basis that can be stated and copied by others?  This is the focus of the symposium, generating a proposed grounded theory approach to valuing knowledge initiatives.

Murray E. Jennex, Ph.D., P.E., CISSP, CSSLP
San Diego State University
Editor in Chief International Journal of Knowledge Management
Co-editor in Chief International Journal of Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management