Employee Contributions to KM Initiatives: Participation Targets Established? #metrics

doug <dmadgic@...>

Have you established employee participation targets in your knowledge management initiative? We are trying to determine an appropriate levels of participation and knowledge contribution within Cisco's services division. Please specify how you are defining participation - i.e. is it creating best practice white papers, leveraging knowledge base, contributing to communities, adopting a tool, uploading content, etc.) and whether the target is a based on a % of employees, # of actions/behaviors, or something else. Thanks very much.

Mark May

Hi, Doug.

We have not set targets within IBM.  But a guideline that I reference in internal discussions about vitality and community health is Gartner's study from last year on "How to Determine Levels of Engagement for Generation Virtual."  http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=721008

The study said:
  • Up to 3 percent of individuals will be creators, providing original content and can be advocates that promote your product and services.
  • Between 3 percent and 10 percent of individuals will be contributors, essentially followers, who add to the conversation, but don't initiate it. They can recommend products and services as customers move through a buying process, looking for purchasing advice.
  • Between 10 percent and 20 percent of individuals will be opportunists, who can further contributions regarding purchasing decisions. Opportunists can "add value" to a conversation that's taking place, while walking through a considered purchase.
  • Approximately 80 percent of individuals will be lurkers (and all users start as such), essentially spectators, who reap the rewards of online community input, but only absorb what is being communicated. However, they can implicitly contribute and validate indirectly reporting the value from the rest of the community.

The study was done for marketing organizations, but I think the result can be applied to KM initiatives too.

Best regards,
Mark

From: "doug"
To: sikmleaders@...
Date: 12/08/2009 02:47 PM
Subject: [sikmleaders] Employee Contributions to KM Initiatives: Participation Targets Established?
Sent by: sikmleaders@...

Have you established employee participation targets in your knowledge management initiative? We are trying to determine an appropriate levels of participation and knowledge contribution within Cisco's services division. Please specify how you are defining participation - i.e. is it creating best practice white papers, leveraging knowledge base, contributing to communities, adopting a tool, uploading content, etc.) and whether the target is a based on a % of employees, # of actions/behaviors, or something else. Thanks very much.

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   sikmleaders-digest@...
   sikmleaders-fullfeatured@...

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Celia Bohle

Hi Doug,

See also "The 90-9-1 Principle":
http://www.90-9-1.com/

Best regards,

Celia

From: "doug" com>
To: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com
Date: 12/08/2009 02:47 PM
Sent by: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com

Have you established employee participation targets in your knowledge management initiative? We are trying to determine an appropriate levels of participation and knowledge contribution within Cisco's services division. Please specify how you are defining participation - i.e. is it creating best practice white papers, leveraging knowledge base, contributing to communities, adopting a tool, uploading content, etc.) and whether the target is a based on a % of employees, # of actions/behaviors, or something else. Thanks very much.

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   sikmleaders-digest@yahoogroups.com
   sikmleaders-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Short answer:  We never established participation targets..better, we believe, we established the types of information and experience that we wished to capture for reuse which was tied to our strategy and performance goals and that of our customers..the reasoning is that participation leading to capture and reuse of critical knowledge (information + experience) will be dependent on the value that people derive from participation, pushing or pulling knowledge, and how that knowledge is used and for what purpose when retrieved.

Bill

 BillKaplan  CPCM

a service disabled veteran owned small business

 571.934.7408 (o)

 703.401.4198 (c)

 http://www.linkedin.com/in/ckobill

 www.workingknowledge-csp.com