Employee Contributions to KM Initiatives: Participation Targets Established? #metrics

doug <dmadgic@...>

Have you established employee participation targets in your knowledge management initiative? We are trying to determine an appropriate levels of participation and knowledge contribution within Cisco's services division. Please specify how you are defining participation - i.e. is it creating best practice white papers, leveraging knowledge base, contributing to communities, adopting a tool, uploading content, etc.) and whether the target is a based on a % of employees, # of actions/behaviors, or something else. Thanks very much.

Mark May

Hi, Doug.

We have not set targets within IBM.  But a guideline that I reference in internal discussions about vitality and community health is Gartner's study from last year on "How to Determine Levels of Engagement for Generation Virtual."  http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=721008

The study said:
  • Up to 3 percent of individuals will be creators, providing original content and can be advocates that promote your product and services.
  • Between 3 percent and 10 percent of individuals will be contributors, essentially followers, who add to the conversation, but don't initiate it. They can recommend products and services as customers move through a buying process, looking for purchasing advice.
  • Between 10 percent and 20 percent of individuals will be opportunists, who can further contributions regarding purchasing decisions. Opportunists can "add value" to a conversation that's taking place, while walking through a considered purchase.
  • Approximately 80 percent of individuals will be lurkers (and all users start as such), essentially spectators, who reap the rewards of online community input, but only absorb what is being communicated. However, they can implicitly contribute and validate indirectly reporting the value from the rest of the community.

The study was done for marketing organizations, but I think the result can be applied to KM initiatives too.

Best regards,
Mark

To: sikmleaders@...
Date: 12/08/2009 02:47 PM
Subject: [sikmleaders] Employee Contributions to KM Initiatives: Participation Targets Established?
Sent by: sikmleaders@...

Have you established employee participation targets in your knowledge management initiative? We are trying to determine an appropriate levels of participation and knowledge contribution within Cisco's services division. Please specify how you are defining participation - i.e. is it creating best practice white papers, leveraging knowledge base, contributing to communities, adopting a tool, uploading content, etc.) and whether the target is a based on a % of employees, # of actions/behaviors, or something else. Thanks very much.

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sikmleaders/

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sikmleaders/join
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   sikmleaders-digest@...
   sikmleaders-fullfeatured@...

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
   sikmleaders-unsubscribe@...

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Celia Bohle

Hi Doug,

See also "The 90-9-1 Principle":
http://www.90-9-1.com/

Best regards,

Celia

Mark May schrieb:

Hi, Doug.

We have not set targets within IBM.  But a guideline that I reference in internal discussions about vitality and community health is Gartner's study from last year on "How to Determine Levels of Engagement for Generation Virtual."  http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=721008

The study said:

• Up to 3 percent of individuals will be creators, providing original content and can be advocates that promote your product and services.
  • Between 3 percent and 10 percent of individuals will be contributors, essentially followers, who add to the conversation, but don't initiate it. They can recommend products and services as customers move through a buying process, looking for purchasing advice.
  • Between 10 percent and 20 percent of individuals will be opportunists, who can further contributions regarding purchasing decisions. Opportunists can "add value" to a conversation that's taking place, while walking through a considered purchase.
  • Approximately 80 percent of individuals will be lurkers (and all users start as such), essentially spectators, who reap the rewards of online community input, but only absorb what is being communicated. However, they can implicitly contribute and validate indirectly reporting the value from the rest of the community.

The study was done for marketing organizations, but I think the result can be applied to KM initiatives too.

Best regards,
Mark

To: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com
Date: 12/08/2009 02:47 PM
Subject: [sikmleaders] Employee Contributions to KM Initiatives: Participation Targets Established?
Sent by: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sikmleaders/

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sikmleaders/join
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   sikmleaders-digest@yahoogroups.com
   sikmleaders-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
   sikmleaders-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Short answer:  We never established participation targets..better, we believe, we established the types of information and experience that we wished to capture for reuse which was tied to our strategy and performance goals and that of our customers..the reasoning is that participation leading to capture and reuse of critical knowledge (information + experience) will be dependent on the value that people derive from participation, pushing or pulling knowledge, and how that knowledge is used and for what purpose when retrieved.

Bill

BillKaplan  CPCM

a service disabled veteran owned small business

571.934.7408 (o)

703.401.4198 (c)

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ckobill

www.workingknowledge-csp.com

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of doug
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 14:46

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Doug,

I reckon the answer is that old favourite: it depends.

It depends on:
- What the initiative is (is it writing a manual, creating a domain community, etc).
- What the goals of the initiative are (& therefore how many people have to be involved).

Observations:
- Setting a baseline & then building on that is often better than a target per se. However you may not be able to get away with this for political reasons.
- Setting targets can drive some really weird behaviours.

Two stories:
- When I was working a CoP programme at an Australian Federal Govt Dept, we measured participation levels over time in terms of attendance at comunity meetings (email lists were a little technologically advanced for this org, so it was all F2F & video conferencing). We took continued attendance as a proxy for perceived value.. This was more about setting a baseline than looking for a total figure. We calculated that about 60% of staff had been involved in one of our sessions.
- When I worked for a large, international services firm as an Asia-Pac KM person, there was a big global push to sign people up to the global KM database - participation targets. I was asked why so few Japanese people had signed up. I told them it was because most of the Japanese staff didn't speak English, they had their own Japanese-language databases and the global one had no Japanese content in. I was told this wasn't a good enough reason. Targets had been set. It was suggested that the invitation email be translated into Japanese. I replied that this was all very well but what would happen after the Japanese staff logged on and found nothing there for them? I suggested that all Japanese staff automatically be set up with database accounts and then left alone. Targets met, everyone happy. N.B. We did looked at alternative channels to engage the Japanese part of the business with global KM activities - but not through database spamming.

Matt

Sent: Wed, December 9, 2009 6:45:31 AM

Have you established employee participation targets in your knowledge management initiative? We are trying to determine an appropriate levels of participation and knowledge contribution within Cisco's services division. Please specify how you are defining participation - i.e. is it creating best practice white papers, leveraging knowledge base, contributing to communities, adopting a tool, uploading content, etc..) and whether the target is a based on a % of employees, # of actions/behaviors, or something else. Thanks very much.

Allan Crawford

As others have said...I have not worked in an organization that established participation targets.  Although we certainly tracked use of various systems such as our knowledge asset respository and our discussion forums.  What we did do was target programs and projects where we felt KM could make the biggest difference and then "measured the results" by collecting stories and asking the teams and the managers..."what's working, what could be going better...and what can be done to have a greater impact on the busienss outcomes."  By systematically doing this we were able to show the benefits of the program to Senior Management...which allowed us to not only to sustain, but grow the program.

Allan Crawford
CSUN Master's in KM program

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of bill@...
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 12:44 PM
Subject: RE: [sikmleaders] Employee Contributions to KM Initiatives: Participation Targets Established?

Short answer:  We never established participation targets..better, we believe, we established the types of information and experience that we wished to capture for reuse which was tied to our strategy and performance goals and that of our customers..the reasoning is that participation leading to capture and reuse of critical knowledge (information + experience) will be dependent on the value that people derive from participation, pushing or pulling knowledge, and how that knowledge is used and for what purpose when retrieved.

Bill

BillKaplan  CPCM

a service disabled veteran owned small business

571.934.7408 (o)

703.401.4198 (c)

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ckobill

www.workingknowledge-csp.com

From: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of doug
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 14:46
To: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com