Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networking internally #tools #Twitter #social-media

Tom <tman9999@...>

While much has been written about the way companies can use these tools to support their branding/marketing activities; and the use of Wikis, blogs and Sharepoints has been ongoing for quite some time, it is less clear to me what companies are doing with social media tools like Facebook and Twitter to support internal collaboration/knowledge management.

Would appreciate any pointers to whitepapers, blog posts, case studies, or personal experience/anecdotes on this front.

Thanks!

~Tom Short
Tom Short Consulting - Knowledge Strategy, Metrics
Short Names - Verbal Marketing, Naming

Patti Anklam <patti@...>

Hi, Tom,

Bill Ives has done a number of case studies on his blog … http://billives.typepad.com/portals_and_km and also on his AppGap blog http://www.theappgap.com/?author_name=bives

/patti

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of Tom
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:46 AM
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: [sikmleaders] Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networking internally

While much has been written about the way companies can use these tools to support their branding/marketing activities; and the use of Wikis, blogs and Sharepoints has been ongoing for quite some time, it is less clear to me what companies are doing with social media tools like Facebook and Twitter to support internal collaboration/knowledge management.

Would appreciate any pointers to whitepapers, blog posts, case studies, or personal experience/anecdotes on this front.

Thanks!

~Tom Short

Bill Ives <iveswilliam@...>

Patti

Thanks for the pointers to my blog and the AppGap. Here is another resource where myself and many others have covered this space.

The FastForward blog - http://www.fastforwardblog.com/

This is a post on there that concludes a six part series on what Booz Allen has done.

Bill Ives

Blogging at:
Portals and KM

Darwin Discovery Engine Blog

FastForward

The AppGap

On Jan 13, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Patti Anklam wrote:

Hi, Tom,

Bill Ives has done a number of case studies on his blog … http://billives.typepad.com/portals_and_km and also on his AppGap blog http://www.theappgap.com/?author_name=bives

/patti

From: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tom
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:46 AM
To: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sikmleaders] Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networking internally

Thanks!

~Tom Short

Stan Garfield

Douglas Weidner

Folks,

Here’s a challenge.

I once had a brief 2-page story that described a CKO walking down the hall and meeting a cleaning lady who introduced herself to the new CKO. After she asked what he did (KM), she explained how she was familiar with KM and gave some tear-jerking examples (apologies to macho types) of what she did as a supposedly ‘lowly’ cleaning lady.

I’ve lost that document over the years but would love to have it for class.

Has anyone ever heard the story or knows the source?

Some CIA students I had, think they tracked it to a Dr Ann Hylton (UK), but I can’t find any such stories on her site. Maybe, I should just ask her…duh!

Failing that, if anyone knows of this story, it would be a rich contribution to this august group.

Douglas Weidner, eCKM Mentor

Chairman, International Knowledge Management Institute

Best in KM Training & Certification

Home of the KM Body of Knowledge (KMBOK)

www.kminstitute.org

703-757-1395

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of StanGarfield
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:10 PM
Subject: [sikmleaders] Re: Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networking internally

Denise Lee

Edited

I believe the story is in this article.
Knowledge Audit.pdf

Take care
Denise
McLean, Virginia
Office - 703-918-3683
Cell - 703-850-7450

"Weidner, Douglas"
Sent by: sikmleaders@...

01/13/2010 06:33 PM

Please respond to
sikmleaders@...
To
"sikmleaders@..."
cc

Subject
RE: [sikmleaders] Re: Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networking internally

Folks,

Here’s a challenge.

I once had a brief 2-page story that described a CKO walking down the hall and meeting a cleaning lady who introduced herself to the new CKO. After she asked what he did (KM), she explained how she was familiar with KM and gave some tear-jerking examples (apologies to macho types) of what she did as a supposedly ‘lowly’ cleaning lady.

Some CIA students I had, think they tracked it to a Dr Ann Hylton (UK), but I can’t find any such stories on her site. Maybe, I should just ask her…duh!

Failing that, if anyone knows of this story, it would be a rich contribution to this august group.

www.kminstitute.org

703-757-1395

Sent:
Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:10 PM
To:
sikmleaders@...
Subject:
[sikmleaders] Re: Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networking internally

Tom,

Here are examples from:

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is a Delaware limited liability partnership.

Douglas Weidner

Denise,

That’s it! You are amazing.

Now I can add one more class anecdote about you being the consummate “Connector”.

Thanks.

Douglas

PS For other group members, I highly recommend this, starts on page 2: An example of a Mere-Knowledge-Mortal

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of denise.lee@...
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:38 PM
Cc: sikmleaders@...
Subject: RE: [sikmleaders] Re: Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networking internally [1 Attachment]

[Attachment(s) from denise.lee@... included below]

I believe the story is in this article.

Take care

Denise

McLean, Virginia
Office - 703-918-3683
Cell - 703-850-7450

"Weidner, Douglas"
Sent by: sikmleaders@...

01/13/2010 06:33 PM

Please respond to
sikmleaders@...

To

"sikmleaders@..."

cc

Subject

RE: [sikmleaders] Re: Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networking internally

Folks,

Here’s a challenge.

www.kminstitute.org

703-757-1395

Sent:
Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:10 PM
To:
sikmleaders@...
Subject:
[sikmleaders] Re: Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networking internally

Tom,

Here are examples from:

• HP

If you have questions about any of this, just let me know.

Regards,
Stan

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is a Delaware limited liability partnership.

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Tom,

Microblogging:
- Nathan Wallace, Jansen-Cilag & Jitter: http://www.e-gineer.com/v2/blog/2008/10/jitter-experimenting-with-microblogging.htm
- Yammer case studies: https://www.yammer.com/about/case_studies
- Twitter: http://onlinefacilitation.wikispaces.com/Twitter+Collaboration+Stories

Social networks:
- Obvious case study is Serena Software's use of Facebook as intranet: http://bmighty.informationweek.com/services/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=215901035
- Lots of products claim to be "Facebook for the Enterprise" - everyone from IBM's Lotus Connections to Microsoft Sharepoint to Saba's stuff to this that & the other. Exactly what that means in practice is another matter entirely.

Matt

Sent: Thu, January 14, 2010 2:46:16 AM
Subject: [sikmleaders] Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networking internally

While much has been written about the way companies can use these tools to support their branding/marketing activities; and the use of Wikis, blogs and Sharepoints has been ongoing for quite some time, it is less clear to me what companies are doing with social media tools like Facebook and Twitter to support internal collaboration/ knowledge management.

Would appreciate any pointers to whitepapers, blog posts, case studies, or personal experience/anecdote s on this front.

Thanks!

~Tom Short

Arthur Shelley

Tom,

There was a good case study of how Alaskan Airlines used a wiki to collaboratively manage projects at PROMac2008 Conference in Anchorage.

Promoting Project Communication Using Wikis, by John Petroske. Project Manger, Alaska Airlines

Also see the KM Tool kit developed in Australia to share information about water resources, supported by Nerida Hart.

http://www.rkrk.net.au/index.php/Regional_Knowledge_Resource_Kit_%28RKRK%29

Regards,
Arthur Shelley
Founder: Intelligent Answers & Organizational Zoo Ambassadors Network
Author:
The Organizational Zoo & Being a Successful Knowledge Leader
Twitter:
Metaphorage
Blog: http//organizationalzoo.blogspot.com 
Ph +61 413 047 408  Skype: Arthur.Shelley 
Free Zoo Behavioural Profiles:
www.organizationalzoo.com

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of Patti Anklam
Sent: Thursday, 14 January 2010 3:34 AM
Subject: RE: [sikmleaders] Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networking internally

Hi, Tom,

Bill Ives has done a number of case studies on his blog … http://billives.typepad.com/portals_and_km and also on his AppGap blog http://www.theappgap.com/?author_name=bives

/patti

From: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tom
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:46 AM
To: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com

Thanks!

~Tom Short

Tom <tman9999@...>

Wow! A veritable trove of examples on this. Who knew? (or am I just behind the times...ok - probably). Thank you for all the info - most helpful.

So which one of you is writing the book, "Start talking and get to work"?

~Tom Short
Tom Short Consulting - knowledge strategy, metrics
Short Names - naming, branding, verbal marketing

Stan Garfield

> So which one of you is writing the book, "Start talking and get to work"?

I recommend these books, which are excellent.  McAfee's book includes case studies and examples on how enterprises are using Web 2.0.

And for branding and marketing, I recommend Seth Godin's books and blog.

Regards,

Stan

Lauren Klein <kleinlauren@...>

Ditto what Stan shared
Building:
Groundswell by Bernoff
Web Analytics 2.0 by Avinash Kaushik
The Art of Community by Jono Bacon

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:44:58 +0000
Subject: [sikmleaders] Digest Number 726

Messages In This Digest (3 Messages)

1a.

Re: Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networkin

Posted by: "Tom" tman9999@...   tks53211

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am (PST)

Wow! A veritable trove of examples on this. Who knew? (or am I just behind the times...ok - probably). Thank you for all the info - most helpful.

So which one of you is writing the book, "Start talking and get to work"?

~Tom Short
Tom Short Consulting - knowledge strategy, metrics
Short Names - naming, branding, verbal marketing

1b.

Re: Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networkin

Posted by: "StanGarfield" stangarfield@...   StanGarfield

Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:44 am (PST)

> So which one of you is writing the book, "Start talking and get to
work"?

I recommend these books, which are excellent. McAfee's book includes
case studies and examples on how enterprises are using Web 2.0.

* Enterprise 2.0 <http://books.google.com/books?id=Gqz3UF5FbI0C>
by Andrew McAfee
* Here Comes Everybody
<ttp://books.google.com/books?id=mafZyckH_bAC> by Clay Shirky
* The Wisdom of Crowds
<http://books.google.com/books?id=ul7gEh6wwe8C> by James Surowiecki

And for branding and marketing, I recommend Seth Godin's books
<http://www.sethgodin.com/sg/books.asp> and blog
<http://sethgodin.typepad.com/> .

Regards,

Stan

Pre-reading for Jan.19 SIKM Call: Steve Denning - Radical Management

Posted by: "StanGarfield" stangarfield@...   StanGarfield

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 pm (PST)

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New web site?
Drive traffic now.
Get your business
on Yahoo! search.
Yahoo! Groups
Mental Health Zone
Learn about issues
Find support
Yahoo! Groups
Going Green
Explore green tips
and resources
Need to Reply?
Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign up now.

Ken Martin <kenmartind@...>

Stan,

Thank you for recommending the books below. I have been applying techniques analytics to gather, evaluate, report, and share content published through the vast array of social media applications on the Internet today. From my experience there are many ways to leverage knowledge management in this area.

We are gathering and processing content to understand what people are sharing about brand and image, products, services, and much more. This is a very exciting branch of knowledge management and growing in interest across global organizations.

I look forward to continued collaboration and communication,
Ken

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jan 14, 2010 2:39 PM
Subject: [sikmleaders] Re: Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networking internally

> So which one of you is writing the book, "Start talking and get to work"?

I recommend these books, which are excellent.  McAfee's book includes case studies and examples on how enterprises are using Web 2.0.

And for branding and marketing, I recommend Seth Godin's books and blog.

Regards,

Stan