Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networking internally #tools #Twitter #social-media

Tom <tman9999@...>

While much has been written about the way companies can use these tools to support their branding/marketing activities; and the use of Wikis, blogs and Sharepoints has been ongoing for quite some time, it is less clear to me what companies are doing with social media tools like Facebook and Twitter to support internal collaboration/knowledge management.

Would appreciate any pointers to whitepapers, blog posts, case studies, or personal experience/anecdotes on this front.

Thanks!

~Tom Short
Tom Short Consulting - Knowledge Strategy, Metrics
Short Names - Verbal Marketing, Naming

Patti Anklam <patti@...>

Hi, Tom,

Bill Ives has done a number of case studies on his blog … http://billives.typepad.com/portals_and_km and also on his AppGap blog http://www.theappgap.com/?author_name=bives

/patti

While much has been written about the way companies can use these tools to support their branding/marketing activities; and the use of Wikis, blogs and Sharepoints has been ongoing for quite some time, it is less clear to me what companies are doing with social media tools like Facebook and Twitter to support internal collaboration/knowledge management.

Would appreciate any pointers to whitepapers, blog posts, case studies, or personal experience/anecdotes on this front.

Thanks!

~Tom Short
Tom Short Consulting - Knowledge Strategy, Metrics
Short Names - Verbal Marketing, Naming

Bill Ives <iveswilliam@...>

Patti

Thanks for the pointers to my blog and the AppGap. Here is another resource where myself and many others have covered this space.

The FastForward blog - http://www.fastforwardblog.com/

This is a post on there that concludes a six part series on what Booz Allen has done.

Bill Ives
_________________________
Tweeting at:

Blogging at:
Portals and KM

Darwin Discovery Engine Blog

FastForward

The AppGap

On Jan 13, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Patti Anklam wrote:

[...]

Stan Garfield

Douglas Weidner

Folks,

Here’s a challenge.

I once had a brief 2-page story that described a CKO walking down the hall and meeting a cleaning lady who introduced herself to the new CKO. After she asked what he did (KM), she explained how she was familiar with KM and gave some tear-jerking examples (apologies to macho types) of what she did as a supposedly ‘lowly’ cleaning lady.

I’ve lost that document over the years but would love to have it for class.

Has anyone ever heard the story or knows the source?

Some CIA students I had, think they tracked it to a Dr Ann Hylton (UK), but I can’t find any such stories on her site. Maybe, I should just ask her…duh!

Failing that, if anyone knows of this story, it would be a rich contribution to this august group.

Douglas Weidner, eCKM Mentor

Chairman, International Knowledge Management Institute

Best in KM Training & Certification

Home of the KM Body of Knowledge (KMBOK)

www.kminstitute.org

703-757-1395

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:44:58 +0000
From: sikmleaders@...
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: [sikmleaders] Digest Number 726

Messages In This Digest (3 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networkin

Posted by: "Tom" tman9999@...   tks53211

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am (PST)

Wow! A veritable trove of examples on this. Who knew? (or am I just behind the times...ok - probably). Thank you for all the info - most helpful.

So which one of you is writing the book, "Start talking and get to work"?

~Tom Short
Tom Short Consulting - knowledge strategy, metrics
Short Names - naming, branding, verbal marketing

1b.

Re: Resources wanted: using Web2.0/Social Computing/Social Networkin

Posted by: "StanGarfield" stangarfield@...   StanGarfield

Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:44 am (PST)

> So which one of you is writing the book, "Start talking and get to
work"?

I recommend these books, which are excellent. McAfee's book includes
case studies and examples on how enterprises are using Web 2.0.

* Enterprise 2.0 <http://books.google.com/books?id=Gqz3UF5FbI0C>
by Andrew McAfee
* Here Comes Everybody
<ttp://books.google.com/books?id=mafZyckH_bAC> by Clay Shirky
* The Wisdom of Crowds
<http://books.google.com/books?id=ul7gEh6wwe8C> by James Surowiecki

And for branding and marketing, I recommend Seth Godin's books
<http://www.sethgodin.com/sg/books.asp> and blog
<http://sethgodin.typepad.com/> .

Regards,

Stan

2.

Pre-reading for Jan.19 SIKM Call: Steve Denning - Radical Management

Posted by: "StanGarfield" stangarfield@...   StanGarfield

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 pm (PST)

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New web site?
Drive traffic now.
Get your business
on Yahoo! search.
Yahoo! Groups
Mental Health Zone
Learn about issues
Find support
Yahoo! Groups
Going Green
Explore green tips
and resources
Need to Reply?

Ken Martin <kenmartind@...>

Stan,

Thank you for recommending the books below. I have been applying techniques analytics to gather, evaluate, report, and share content published through the vast array of social media applications on the Internet today. From my experience there are many ways to leverage knowledge management in this area.

We are gathering and processing content to understand what people are sharing about brand and image, products, services, and much more. This is a very exciting branch of knowledge management and growing in interest across global organizations.

I look forward to continued collaboration and communication,
Ken