What do knowledge managers spend their time doing? #roles

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Hello,

One thing I have been wondering is how knowledge managers spend their time. What % of time is spent doing different activities - e.g. technology implementation (ECM, Search, Collaboration, etc), community support activities (moderatoring, promoting, facilitating), organizational learning (AARs, peer assists), business research, training & development activities, etc.

Has any data around this been collected before?

(apologies for the cross-posting but it impacts all 3 lists).

ASTD produce some data concerning how training & development staff spend their time (not sure how trustworthy it is as it's from a very small sample).

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,
The amount of time a K Mgr spends on day to day activities, depends on what stage the KM program is in and the organization's level of maturity with KM concepts.

For example, a newly launched program to introduce KM and ECM to the organization would spend more time on strategy, stakeholder communication sessions, developing use cases and demos, developing training, and project planning just to name a few activities. The time spend doing each task could fluctuate based on timelines.

For an organization that has already adopted key KM concepts and is leveraging technology to support business process, content management, and collaboration, I would say a K Mgr spends more time figuring out how to do K harvesting, monitoring community health, uncovering KM success stories, plus looking for ways to support innovation.

I hope this helps.

Dee Anne (Kotzur) Gavlick
deeanne34@yahoo.com
610-659-7562
http://www.linkedin.com/in/deeannegavlick

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, Matt Moore <innotecture@...> wrote:

Hello,

One thing I have been wondering is how knowledge managers spend their time. What % of time is spent doing different activities - e.g. technology implementation (ECM, Search, Collaboration, etc), community support activities (moderatoring, promoting, facilitating), organizational learning (AARs, peer assists), business research, training & development activities, etc.

Has any data around this been collected before?

(apologies for the cross-posting but it impacts all 3 lists).

ASTD produce some data concerning how training & development staff spend their time (not sure how trustworthy it is as it's from a very small sample).

Regards,

Matt

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Dee Anne,

I agree that "organizational maturity" is probably one factor that influences the distribution of activities and any survey should attempt to explore that.

I also suspect there are other factors.

Cheers,

Matt