KM Leaders: What are your top 1-3 priorities in 2010? #state-of-KM

Tom <tman9999@...>

Take 2 :-)

Would like to hear from CKOs, KM Leaders, Community Leaders, other practictioners who are responsible for KM in their organizations. What are your main strategic objectives for KM in 2010? Thanks.

-Tom Short
TSC
San Francisco, CA

Simard, Albert <albert.simard@...>

1)       What my boss thinks is important

2)       Strategic planning for developing and implementing KM

3)       Supervising projects to develop and implement short-term deliverables

Albert J. Simard, Ph.D.

Knowledge Manager / Gestionnaire du savoir

DRDC - Centre for Security Science / RDDC Centre des sciences pour la sécurité

222 Nepean St., 11th floor / 222 rue Nepean, 11 ieme etage

Ottawa, Ontatio K1A 0K2

Canada

Tel: 613-995-8008   Fax: 613-992-0002

e-mail: albert.simard@...

From: Tom
To: sikmleaders@...
Date: Monday, 29 March, 2010, 16:11

Take 2 :-)

Would like to hear from CKOs, KM Leaders, Community Leaders, other practictioners who are responsible for KM in their organizations. What are your main strategic objectives for KM in 2010? Thanks.

-Tom Short
TSC
San Francisco, CA

Douglas Weidner

Mark,

I once taught a KM class in another region, where they initially mistranslated change management to mean:

Change the management.

According to your options, that’s sometimes not a bad idea.

On a serious note, in my KM Certification classes, SharePoint is typically front and center, as you perceive as well.

My guidance is to focus first on change management, which includes “Quick Wins”.

The proven concept of “Quick Wins” means do small projects first – “three months not three years” is my mantra, before launching SharePoint or other major KM initiative.

If SharePoint or equivalent is already an issue, focus on specific aspects of SharePoint that can be quick wins. That’s typically not building an enterprise repository or simultaneously launching 500 communities (CoPs).

Douglas Weidner

From: Tom net>
To: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, 29 March, 2010, 16:11

Take 2 :-)

Would like to hear from CKOs, KM Leaders, Community Leaders, other practictioners who are responsible for KM in their organizations. What are your main strategic objectives for KM in 2010? Thanks.

-Tom Short
TSC
San Francisco, CA

Mark Tilbury

Thanks guys,

Happy to say our various knowledge projects focus on 3 elements - people, infrastructure and content, in virtual physical and social spaces. All have 'quick wins' (1-3 months); medium (6-9 months) and long terms sub projects.

I think it's the thought of a new toy (i.e. Sharepoint) that makes people lazy and forget it's only another car to drive. Unless you have the roadmap and the purpose it's just a waste of time.

e-mail: albert.simard@ drdc-rddc. gc.ca

1 - convincing my boss that Sharepoint is not the answer to everything KM

2 - getting boss to understand what Sharepoint is

3 - getting new boss

Would like to hear from CKOs, KM Leaders, Community Leaders, other practictioners who are responsible for KM in their organizations. What are your main strategic objectives for KM in 2010? Thanks.

-Tom Short
TSC
San Francisco , CA

Arthur Shelley

Do them in reverse order and you then only have one task to do

Arthur
Tweeting as Metaphorage