KM Leaders: What are your top 1-3 priorities in 2010? #state-of-KM

Tom <tman9999@...>

Take 2 :-)

Would like to hear from CKOs, KM Leaders, Community Leaders, other practictioners who are responsible for KM in their organizations. What are your main strategic objectives for KM in 2010? Thanks.

-Tom Short
TSC
San Francisco, CA

Simard, Albert <albert.simard@...>

1)       What my boss thinks is important

2)       Strategic planning for developing and implementing KM

3)       Supervising projects to develop and implement short-term deliverables

Albert J. Simard, Ph.D.

Knowledge Manager / Gestionnaire du savoir

DRDC - Centre for Security Science / RDDC Centre des sciences pour la sécurité

222 Nepean St., 11th floor / 222 rue Nepean, 11 ieme etage

Ottawa, Ontatio K1A 0K2

Canada

Tel: 613-995-8008   Fax: 613-992-0002

e-mail: albert.simard@...

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of Tom
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 11:11 AM
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: [sikmleaders] KM Leaders: What are your top 1-3 priorities in 2010?

Would like to hear from CKOs, KM Leaders, Community Leaders, other practictioners who are responsible for KM in their organizations. What are your main strategic objectives for KM in 2010? Thanks.

-Tom Short
TSC
San Francisco, CA

Mark Tilbury

1 - convincing my boss that Sharepoint is not the answer to everything KM
2 - getting boss to understand what Sharepoint is
3 - getting new boss

--- On Mon, 29/3/10, Tom wrote:

Date: Monday, 29 March, 2010, 16:11

-Tom Short
TSC
San Francisco, CA

Douglas Weidner

Mark,

I once taught a KM class in another region, where they initially mistranslated change management to mean:

Change the management.

According to your options, that’s sometimes not a bad idea.

On a serious note, in my KM Certification classes, SharePoint is typically front and center, as you perceive as well.

My guidance is to focus first on change management, which includes “Quick Wins”.

The proven concept of “Quick Wins” means do small projects first – “three months not three years” is my mantra, before launching SharePoint or other major KM initiative.

If SharePoint or equivalent is already an issue, focus on specific aspects of SharePoint that can be quick wins. That’s typically not building an enterprise repository or simultaneously launching 500 communities (CoPs).

Douglas Weidner

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of mark.tilbury@...
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 6:23 PM
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] KM Leaders: What are your top 1-3 priorities in 2010?

3 - getting new boss

--- On Mon, 29/3/10, Tom <tman9999@...> wrote:

-Tom Short
TSC
San Francisco, CA

Simard, Albert <albert.simard@...>

We are also starting on SharePoint.  It must be recognized, however, that this is only one element of a knowledge infrastructure: people, governance, work processes, systems, and content.  People use systems and work processes in the context of a governance structure to increase the value and utility of content.

I absolutely agree that “thinking big but starting small” is a path to eventual success with KM.  As with innovation, there is a critical transition that must be made – that between project and program scale.  You eventually have to stick your head above the parapet to go to an enterprise level and that’s when politics rears its ugly head.  Be prepared.

Albert J. Simard, Ph.D.

222 Nepean St., 11th floor / 222 rue Nepean, 11 ieme etage

Ottawa, Ontatio K1A 0K2

Canada

e-mail: albert.simard@...

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of Weidner, Douglas
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:05 AM
Subject: RE: [sikmleaders] KM Leaders: What are your top 1-3 priorities in 2010?

Mark,

I once taught a KM class in another region, where they initially mistranslated change management to mean:

Change the management.

On a serious note, in my KM Certification classes, SharePoint is typically front and center, as you perceive as well.

My guidance is to focus first on change management, which includes “Quick Wins”.

The proven concept of “Quick Wins” means do small projects first – “three months not three years” is my mantra, before launching SharePoint or other major KM initiative.

If SharePoint or equivalent is already an issue, focus on specific aspects of SharePoint that can be quick wins. That’s typically not building an enterprise repository or simultaneously launching 500 communities (CoPs).

Douglas Weidner

From: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of mark.tilbury@btinternet.com
To: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] KM Leaders: What are your top 1-3 priorities in 2010?

3 - getting new boss

--- On Mon, 29/3/10, Tom net> wrote:

-Tom Short
TSC
San Francisco, CA

Mark Tilbury

Thanks guys,

Happy to say our various knowledge projects focus on 3 elements - people, infrastructure and content, in virtual physical and social spaces. All have 'quick wins' (1-3 months); medium (6-9 months) and long terms sub projects.

I think it's the thought of a new toy (i.e. Sharepoint) that makes people lazy and forget it's only another car to drive. Unless you have the roadmap and the purpose it's just a waste of time.

--- On Tue, 30/3/10, Simard, Albert <albert.simard@...> wrote:

Subject: RE: [sikmleaders] KM Leaders: What are your top 1-3 priorities in 2010?
Date: Tuesday, 30 March, 2010, 15:22

We are also starting on SharePoint.  It must be recognized, however, that this is only one element of a knowledge infrastructure: people, governance, work processes, systems, and content.  People use systems and work processes in the context of a governance structure to increase the value and utility of content.

I absolutely agree that “thinking big but starting small” is a path to eventual success with KM.  As with innovation, there is a critical transition that must be made – that between project and program scale.  You eventually have to stick your head above the parapet to go to an enterprise level and that’s when politics rears its ugly head.  Be prepared.

Albert J. Simard, Ph.D.

222 Nepean St., 11th floor / 222 rue Nepean , 11 ieme etage

Ottawa, Ontatio K1A 0K2

Canada

e-mail: albert.simard@ drdc-rddc. gc.ca

From: sikmleaders@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sikmleaders @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Weidner, Douglas
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:05 AM
To: sikmleaders@ yahoogroups. com

Mark,

Change the management.

Douglas Weidner

From: sikmleaders@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sikmleaders @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of mark.tilbury@ btinternet. com

3 - getting new boss

--- On Mon, 29/3/10, Tom wrote:

-Tom Short
TSC
San Francisco , CA

Arthur Shelley

Do them in reverse order and you then only have one task to do

Arthur
Tweeting as Metaphorage

On 30/03/2010, at 9:23, mark.tilbury@... wrote:

3 - getting new boss

--- On Mon, 29/3/10, Tom net> wrote:

-Tom Short
TSC
San Francisco, CA

We deployed SharePoint in our infrastructure the end of 2009 and are seeing tremendous excitement from our newly formed communities. Our strategy last year was to define priority projects and show value quickly.

Top 3 Priorities for 2010 and beyond.

1. Focused Deployment Strategy. Stay on top of the demand for collaboration and business process improvements by effectively prioritizing groups tied directly to the organization goals and mission. Use both informal networks and formal channels to communicate success stories of how groups are using the new tools to solve real business problems. We hope to have all Departments leveraging SharePoint to support their Managed Content, Collaboration, and selected Business Processes by the end of the year. We are taking a phased approach focusing on highest value content and critical projects and processes first.

2. Increase our KM Maturity and Adoption. Increase adoption of new ways of working through focused attention to Personal KM techniques that are easiest to integrate into employees' day to day work. Educate the internal KM team on how to leverage out of the box technologies to solve communication problems and get work done. Nurture our power users to be the advocates of the KM mission and help fellow employees use the methods and technology when solving collaboration issues. We want to get to a place where people will help each other adopt the new tools to share knowledge and make better decisions.

3. Create a Helping Culture. Engage our Internal Clients and provide superior customer service. Do the best we can to listen and understand our internal customers' pain. Recommend and clearly articulate the path that can be taken to address their collaboration and process improvement requirements.

Dee Anne (Kotzur) Gavlick
Knowledge Manager
International Partnership for Microbicides
8401 Colesville Road, Suite 200
Silver Spring, MD 20910
http://www.linkedin.com/in/deeannegavlick

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tman9999@...> wrote:

-Tom Short
TSC
San Francisco, CA