Request for strategy assistance #strategy

jason.swan@...

Hi all,

I recently found your group and have been appreciating the depth of the discussion that has been going on here for the last week, or so.  However, at this point, I’m in need of some “nuts-and-bolts” type of information.

I work for a company that is part of L-3 Communications.  We supply training and engineering support services to the US military.  I’ve been give the responsibility for directing our company’s knowledge management initiative, including the development of a knowledge management system.  Our company is more than 25 years old, we have more than 500 employees and more than 30 locations around the world.  Like many companies, we haven’t yet crossed the bridge to becoming a learning organization, and we struggle with knowledge attrition and wasted effort.

Since being tasked with developing a KMS, I have assembled a team and we have recognized that we need to approach KM as a human system, rather than a technology system.  We have support from our executive management to initiate behavior changes as well as technological changes at a corporate level.  However, no one in our company has experience with developing or deploying a KMS.  We have made excellent progress by researching and reading, and I’ve made some valuable connections with other L-3 Communications personnel, but I am still unable to get on top of the strategy.  I feel like I need a defined strategy before I can make more progress in our effort.

I have no idea what the strategy should look like or what a good “model” strategy would contain.  Can anyone share examples of strategies that might provide me with some direction?  We have long-range goals, and we are stirring around some ideas for short-range goals.  And our business has some important strategies for acquiring and maintaining business.  How do those things relate to a specific KM strategy?  What are the components of a KM strategy?  How does the KM strategy inform subsequent steps of design and implementation?  Once we have a strategy, I feel like I can draft out a roadmap to get us to implementation.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Jason Swan

Lead Instructional Systems Designer

1228 E. Main St.

Havelock, NC 28532

Phone: (252) 444-0927

Fax: (252) 444-3129

Joel Muzard <joel.muzard@...>

Hi Jason,

I like your message.

I invite you to attend our April Webinar on April 13.
We will first share tools for Collaboration in a socio-technical approach

Then we will have a Knowledge-Lab.  We will be discussing the theme «Implementation of a Knowledge Circulation Plan: Advantages and Difficulties to KM 2.0» You can see a Knowledge-Lab as an Open Space on the Web, where all  the participants garden knowledge. What emerges is the result of the participants collaboration. It is an Open Conversation. And at the same time Knowledge emerges from the interactive participation.

We start a round table using Key-Words that matter from your point of view. Then the discussion unfold. We work developing trust introducing ourselves and the locations we are located.

The way we work allows parallels contribution of participants on the Co-construction WhiteBoard, and that at the beginning can be annoying, but fun when you see that it is very stimulating.

Vera wrote a report on last event, sharing her experience, it is posted on here: http://www.a-i-a.com/k-net/K-Lab%20Reports.html

For more info, see :: http://www.a-i-a.com/k-net

See you soon

Joel
--------------------
Dr Joel Muzard
skype

Le 10-04-06 à 10:55, jason.swan@... a écrit :

[...]

Pete Crossley

Hello Jason,
I might suggest the easiest place to start would be by getting a copy of the book, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Knowledge Management". It has a section on KM strategy, but in actuality the structure of the whole book (as seen through the Table of Contents, for example) is itself a great starting point for defining a structure for a holistic organizational strategy for KM. (and not just for Idiots. :)
Pete Crossley

From: jason.swan@...
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:55:41 -0400
To: <sikmleaders@...>
Subject: [sikmleaders] Request for strategy assistance

[...]

Douglas Weidner

Jason,

Quite a challenge, but good to see you have a clear vision of your needs, rather than approaching KM in an ad hoc fashion.

I encourage you to look into the KM Institute’s training and certification offerings.

We dominate KM training for your customer, the US military, including most all the CoComs and special ops.

One of our strengths is a proven KM methodology to “Create a Learning Organization”, first funded by the US military, but quite suitable for a smaller organization, whether gov or commercial.

An essential ingredient is change management, the requisite ‘behavioral changes’ you mentioned.

If you would like to know more, please contact me directly.

Douglas Weidner, eCKM Mentor

Chairman, International Knowledge Management Institute

Best in KM Training & Certification

Home of the KM Body of Knowledge (KMBOK)

www.kminstitute.org

703-757-1395

[...]

Allan Crawford

Jason,

Another book that you might want to look at is Learning to Fly by Collison and Parcell.  It provides not only a good overall KM model, but also provides an excellent "how to section" on a wide variety of KM techniques and processes.

From: jason.swan@l-3com.com
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:55:41 -0400
To: yahoogroups.com>

[...]

Fred Nickols

Jason:

I think you've gotten some good responses re "KM Strategy" so I'll go up a click to strategy itself. Strategy, along with tactics, is a means to an end; it speaks to how a particular goal or objective will be attained. So you have to be clear about the ends in order to formulate a strategy. From your inquiry, it seems you have been tasked to develop a knowledge management system (KMS). The first order of business for you is to pin down just what that means. Moreover, a KMS, like strategy, is a means to an end so you need also to pin down the ends this KMS will lead to. Some obvious questions follow:

Just what is meant by a KMS in this context?
How would things be different if a KMS were in place?
What business results is the KMS expected to produce or enhance?
Do you build it and roll it out all at once or in stages?
However you've defined KMS, how will people have to adjust and adapt to it? Who is likely to support or oppose it? Whose support do you need?

I could go on and on; so could others on this list and so could you. Therein lies my point: You need a long list of questions like these and others related to them in order to get clear about just what it is you're going to put in place and call a KMS and what kinds of changes are involved in doing that. Your "strategy" will emerge from that kind of thinking and analysis.

Finally, keep in mind the link between strategy and execution.

If you've got the right strategy but don't execute well, you will have muffed it.

If you've got the wrong strategy and you do execute it well, you run the risk of shooting yourself in the foot.

If you've got the wrong strategy and don't execute well, your effort is doomed from the beginning.

Only if you've got the right strategy and execute it well do you have a chance of succeeding.

The right strategy will emerge from some solid strategic thinking rooted in questions like those above and others you can add to the list. Good execution? Well, I'll assume you and your folks can do that.

Good luck,

Fred Nickols
Managing Partner
Distance Consulting LLC
fred@nickols.us
www.skullworks.com

"Assistance at a Distance"

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, jason.swan@... wrote:

[...]

Stan Garfield

The slides that I recently presented to KM Chicago may be helpful. They are taken from my book.

Patrick Lambe

This is an excellent set of slides, Stan.

Jason, the important thing to note is that the focus is on corporate goals/objectives (see Stan's slide 6), and then you/your management team asks the question, how can KM interventions support the achievement of these goals?

It's quite easy to get distracted by this new beast "KM" and focus on it, rather than on the corporate goals it's supposed to be enabling. This extends to the language you use. Keep bringing it back to the goals you are furthering, and you'll be on reasonably solid ground.

I have used an adapted form of the Mauborgne and Kim Strategy Canvas (from their book Blue Ocean Strategy) with senior management teams, to map how knowledge supports each of their corporate goals, what gaps need to be met, and what should be prioritised. Happy to describe this further offline.

Patrick Lambe

Have you seen our KM Method Cards or
Organisation Culture Cards?

On Apr 7, 2010, at 6:44 AM, StanGarfield wrote:

The slides that I recently presented to KM Chicago may be helpful. They are taken from my book.

Stephen Bounds

Patrick's comments about ensuring that your strategy ties in to the broader business objectives is spot on.

Also, just to follow on from Fred's comments about strategy -- if you've never written a strategy document before then it can be a bit daunting.

When I first switched from a technical position into a management role a few years back, I documented some of the lessons I learnt at the time as a "Business Basics" series on my blog: http://bounds.net.au/node/5

In particular, you might find the article "Writing a strategy document" to be useful.

I'm by no means an expert but these resources got me started at a time when I felt like I had been thrown in the deep end!

Cheers,
-- Stephen.

On 7/04/2010 2:49 AM, Fred wrote:

Jason:

I think you've gotten some good responses re "KM Strategy" so I'll go up
a click to strategy itself. Strategy, along with tactics, is a means to
an end; it speaks to how a particular goal or objective will be
attained. So you have to be clear about the ends in order to formulate a
strategy.

Murray Jennex

I've seen a lot of good responses and so I'd thought I'd throw in something a little different based on a study of utilities doing Y2K:

Jennex and Weiss (2001) studied Utility Y2K projects to determine what knowledge benefits were gained - Found significant knowledge benefits but little being done to capture them

Jennex, Olfman, and Addo (2003) hypothesized that knowledge benefits weren’t being captured due to a lack of a KM strategy:

Used a survey to collect data on KM programs and strategy

Used MANOVA to analyze results

Found that organizations that had a knowledge management organization and strategy both during Y2K and after were doing significantly more to capture knowledge benefits than organizations that didn’t have a KM program or that only had one during Y2K or after

Used twice as many capture actions as the other 2 groups

Expected Actions From KM Strategy (as identified by the survey)

Modification of processes/procedures as a result of Organizational Learning

Creation of new processes/ procedures as a result of Organizational Learning

Creation/Modification of KM support tools to support the KMS and knowledge use

Increased utilization of personnel who create, share, and/or utilize organizational knowledge at higher levels of authority/responsibility

Use of lessons learned reports or post activity assessment to review and capture what was learned during organizational activities

Creation of a learning organization

So what I learned from this is that an organization is much more likely to succeed in capturing and reusing knowledge if they have a KM strategy and a listing of activities that had greater than 90% agreement on.  I think it very interesting that the above is pretty consistent with the previous posts.  Thanks....murray jennex (San Diego State University, editor in chief International Journal of Knowledge Management)

In a message dated 4/6/2010 7:55:56 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jason.swan@... writes:

[...]

All,

Before I let too much time go by, I want to thank y’all for the generous offers of help and information and for the samples and supporting documentation that have been freely distributed.  Since KM is only one of my projects, it may take me a couple of days to get back to all who have contacted me.   I just want to express my appreciation via the forum, and will get in touch with those who responded to my request directly.

BTW, I don’t wish to end this discussion…  I just had so many responses that I felt a need to offer thanks before too much time goes by.