Topics

Published case studies or success stories on communities of practice #case-studies

Stan Garfield

From a colleague: "Can you think of some good examples of organizations
that have used internal online Communities of Practice with great
success? Do you know of any published case studies or articles about any
of these successes?"

If you can point me to published material that he can share at a meeting
he is attending next week with one of our Consulting practices, that
would be most helpful. Thanks!

revelry83 <anthony.leary.sr@...>

This is just one example of CoPs in the Navy. I was the admin of one of them when I was active duty.

http://www.chips.navy.mil/archives/09_oct/web_pages/LCS_COP.html

Center for Surface Combat Systems Shares Knowledge Through Communities of Practice

"As the Navy increases in capabilities to support the joint force to meet the national security needs of the nation, one of the biggest challenges is to provide warfighting Sailors with more skill and experience as expeditiously as possible. The mission of the Center for Surface Combat Systems (CSCS) is to train and prepare officers and Sailors to maintain, operate and, if necessary, fight in a combat environment."

Respectfully,
Tony Leary

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "StanGarfield" <stangarfield@...> wrote:

From a colleague: "Can you think of some good examples of organizations
that have used internal online Communities of Practice with great
success? Do you know of any published case studies or articles about any
of these successes?"

If you can point me to published material that he can share at a meeting
he is attending next week with one of our Consulting practices, that
would be most helpful. Thanks!

Susan Rosenbaum <sgrosenbaum@...>

Following are a couple of pointers to publications that may be useful for this topic:

Lank, Elizabeth, Randell-Khan, Julia, Rosenbaum, Susan and Tate, Oliver (2008) 'Herding Cats: Choosing a Governance Structure for Your
Communities of Practice', Journal of Change Management, 8:2, 101 — 109

Harnessing Your Staff's Informal Networks

HBR Articles | Richard McDermott, Douglas Archibald | Mar 01, 2010

Regards,

Susan

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Stan,

There are many case studies in "Knowledge Networks: innovation through communities of practice" edited by hildreth & kimble

On Apr 24, 2010, at 12:05 AM, "StanGarfield" <stangarfield@...> wrote:

From a colleague: "Can you think of some good examples of organizations
that have used internal online Communities of Practice with great
success? Do you know of any published case studies or articles about any
of these successes?"

If you can point me to published material that he can share at a meeting
he is attending next week with one of our Consulting practices, that
would be most helpful. Thanks!

John David Smith <john.smith@...>

Howdy,

CPsquare has an ever-growing bibliography of cases, organized by setting here.  I’ve been jotting down the suggestions from this thread.

 http://cpsquare.org/wiki/Bibliography_project

It would be great to have your contributions and help with curation.  The idea is to have references and comments about the focus, style, and utility of each work cited.

John

* John David Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype & Twitter: smithjd

* “The best way to predict the future is to invent it.” Alan Kay