Rewarding collaboration #motivation #collaboration

pizzeyclaire <clairempizzey@...>

I am looking for some examples on how organisations have recognised and / or rewarded their employees for having a collaborative culture or collaborating with colleagues when working. Specifically I am looking for examples which are non-monetary, along the lines of the Thank a Colleague cards we use in my organisation (mgmt consultancy).

Does anyone have any examples of how this has been done or suggestions of places to look for ideas. Thanks

TRflanagan@...

Academic use the "currency" of shared authorship in published works.

It is at least possible that a corporation or a community could collect monthly "comments" which include commendation for help and energy for activities that are important for individuals.

A check box or a word wheel could be added to prompt naming collaborators in an electronic comment system, and filing an electronic comment (even without naming any collaborators) could be a "requirement" of members of the organization ...  the requirement would be like the "requirement" to vote in elections in the US, however ... the culture must want to know who was voted into the circle of the top 50 collaborators for a given month.

Reporting only a top winner will concurrently report a huge number of losers, so I suggest putting the top "set" of winners into a celebration group so that the recognition is not compromised too strongly to consistently favor "large families."

Just a thought

Tom Flanagan
   Director, South Coast Community Collaborative Design, New Bedford MA
   President of the Board, Institute for 21st Century Agoras, Atlanta GA

  ><((((º>·..¸¸·´¯`·.><(((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸><((((º> .·´¯`·..><(((º>.·´¯`·..><(((º>
   "Discussions as usual can lead to no more than business as usual"

SouthCoast Community Collaborative Design Studio is a project of the Community Foundation of Southeastern Massachusetts.  Our mission is to build community learning capacity through the use of advanced collaborative design practices.  SouthCoast Design is a resource for multi-organization planning and not a direct source of funds.

VOICE: 508-264-0066
EMAIL: TRFlanagan@...
WEBSITE:  http://www.GlobalAgoras.com
SKYPE: SoCoDesign

Author:  The TALKING POINT- Creating an Environment for Exploring Complex Meaning

http://www.infoagepub.com/products/The-Talking-Point

Subj: [sikmleaders] rewarding collaboration
Date: 8/4/2010 3:22:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From: clairempizzey@...
To: sikmleaders@...
Sent from the Internet

I am looking for some examples on how organisations have recognised and / or rewarded their employees for having a collaborative culture or collaborating with colleagues when working. Specifically I am looking for examples which are non-monetary, along the lines of the Thank a Colleague cards we use in my organisation (mgmt consultancy).

Does anyone have any examples of how this has been done or suggestions of places to look for ideas. Thanks

elffrnd <clifford.e.sacks@...>

I workin a small R&D function within Pfizer manufacturing. Our area developed a small card (business card size) and the acronym ACE (Acknowledging Colleague Efforts). The front has several logos for our area of operation and a line for the From and To. The back has several generic check boxes (Gtear Job!, Thanks for being there, Appreciate the effort and Great idea or suggestion) followed by a few lines to allow handwritten text. There is no immediate monetary value but we have allowed that for every batch of 5, a colleague can exchange for a monetary type award (sandwich at subway, gas card, ...). We have had the program for about 3 months now with no abuse and it is being used. This allows for imediate and direct colleague to colleague recognition but still allows the managers to be aware through the exchange program.

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "pizzeyclaire" <clairempizzey@...> wrote:

I am looking for some examples on how organisations have recognised and / or rewarded their employees for having a collaborative culture or collaborating with colleagues when working. Specifically I am looking for examples which are non-monetary, along the lines of the Thank a Colleague cards we use in my organisation (mgmt consultancy).

Does anyone have any examples of how this has been done or suggestions of places to look for ideas. Thanks

Arthur Shelley

Clifford and Claire,

Yes, “favour cards” or tokens can be used, even in a two way exchange system.  To support reciprocity, they can be exchanged both ways to have someone help you with something.  You can choose to put them on the wall to show how helpful you are or exchange them for favours others can do for you in return.

Other ways to “reward” good behaviour include (beware as these need to be well managed or can cause damage):

·         Public acknowledgement at team meetings (must be sincere and ensure that all that deserve get appropriate mentions, not just those highlighting good work – ie look fo the quiet achievers as well or they can become cynical about lack of understanding by the leaders)

·         How discretionary budget is spent – eg travel funds (those who contribute who get to go to conferences or training sessions)

·         Desired special tasks (involvement in challenging projects to accelerate development), be the presenter of new concepts to senior management to increase exposure.

·         Access to mentors, provision of time to engage in desired activities

As with all “incentives” you need to show you are sincere and are appropriately managing the implementation.  Any hint of favouritism or inequality will quickly destroy any good will created and demotivate those inappropriately left out.

Regards,
Arthur Shelley
Founder: Intelligent Answers & Organizational Zoo Ambassadors Network
Author:
The Organizational Zoo & Being a Successful Knowledge Leader
Twitter:
Metaphorage
Blog: http//organizationalzoo.blogspot.com
Ph +61 413 047 408  Skype: Arthur.Shelley
Free Zoo Behavioural Profiles:
www.organizationalzoo.com

--- In sikmleaders@..., "pizzeyclaire" wrote:

> I am looking for some examples on how organisations have recognised and / or rewarded their employees for having a collaborative culture or collaborating with colleagues when working. Specifically I am looking for examples which are non-monetary, along the lines of the Thank a Colleague cards we use in my organisation (mgmt consultancy).
>
> Does anyone have any examples of how this has been done or suggestions of places to look for ideas. Thanks

Stan Garfield