25 KM Specialties #roles #definition

Stan Garfield

On this week's KMers.org Twitter chat , Natasha Gabriel  asked me to provide a list of specialties practiced by KM professionals.  With the help of Lee Romero, here is the list I produced:

25 KM Specialties

What do you think of the list?  What should be added, removed, recombined, or otherwise changed?  What other similar or related lists exist - please provide links to them.

Thanks!

Neil Olonoff

The 25 specialties is a very interesting list. But I would love to see the items presented in a different -- or several different -- formats.

1. As a Venn diagram showing the number of people who occupy each domain

2. As a relationship diagram showing how the different items relate to one another.

3. As a Grid showing the various subspecialties and competencies related to each item.

Neil

Neil Olonoff   olonoff@... and neil.olonoff@...
Co-Chair, Federal KM Working Group hosted at  http://KM.gov
Co-Lead, Federal Knowledge Management Initiative
Office:   703.614.5058 (US Army HQDA, G-4/Contracted by Innolog)
Mobile:  703.283.4157 (Unavailable during working hours)

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM, StanGarfield <stangarfield@...> wrote:

On this week's KMers.org Twitter chat , Natasha Gabriel  asked me to provide a list of specialties practiced by KM professionals.  With the help of Lee Romero, here is the list I produced:

25 KM Specialties

What do you think of the list?  What should be added, removed, recombined, or otherwise changed?  What other similar or related lists exist - please provide links to them.

Thanks!

tomshort_tsc <tman9999@...>

Edited

Hello Stan -

A few years ago I created a graphic version of an answer to this question while I was working with PG&E.  The diagram is 39 KM tools.pdf.

As part of my work in developing a knowledge loss risk mitigation toolkit I wanted to educate internal clients about what KM is, and how diverse a toolkit it can embrace and employ. I wanted to impress upon them that KM is not one thing, but a way of viewing workers and their work in an effort to improve their ability to get that work done, and there is a large range of tools that can be brought to bear to do it.

Do you know what Gabrielle wanted to do with a list like this?

-Tom Short
Chief Strategy Officer
Native Cloud Systems
415-596-1000