Hosted SharePoint vs Google Sites #SharePoint #Google

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Hello,

I am doing some work with a client that has been using a hosted version of
SharePoint (two versions actually - 2003 & 2007). They also have a enterprise
Google Sites set-up (mostly for email & calendaring) which they are starting to
also use for collaboration. There are also some shared drives floating around.
They are smallish (around 200 people) and have a highly distributed workforce.

At some point, they are going to have to decide what should go where. I have
experience with SharePoint in a corporate setting but not Google Sites. Does
anyone have any insight (preferably based on experience) as to the strengths and
weakness of each platform relative to the other? I have found some articles and
blog posts on the web but they seem a bit sketchy.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Matt

Nancy White

Check with the ICT KM Program of the CGIAR http://www.CGIAR.org They have been using Apps and doing analysis on it recently. Antonella Pastore would be a good contact.

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Matt Moore <innotecture@...> wrote:
[...]

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   sikmleaders-digest@...
   sikmleaders-fullfeatured@...

   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

tomshort_tsc <tman9999@...>

Hello Matt - I'd like to know what you find out on this, too - could you please share? Thanks!

-Tom Short
Native Cloud Systems

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, Matt Moore <innotecture@...> wrote:

[...]

Nikola Ristivojevich

Edited

Matt,
Beside links below, I have attached doc with related articles and blogs excerpts.  Hope that these insights help.
Regards,
Businesses share their stories

Google Apps has helped companies of all sizes, in every industry, in every corner of the world save time and money and improve how they work together securely.

SharePoint Paradox

I am doing some work with a client that has been using a hosted version of
SharePoint (two versions actually - 2003 & 2007). They also have a enterprise
Google Sites set-up (mostly for email & calendaring) which they are starting to
also use for collaboration. There are also some shared drives floating around.
They are smallish (around 200 people) and have a highly distributed workforce.

At some point, they are going to have to decide what should go where. I have
experience with SharePoint in a corporate setting but not Google Sites. Does
anyone have any insight (preferably based on experience) as to the strengths and
weakness of each platform relative to the other? I have found some articles and
blog posts on the web but they seem a bit sketchy.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Matt

Don Kildebeck

Matt,

Having been involved in the implementation of SP at four different companies (ranging in size from 500 employees to several thousand) I would personally run as fast as I could AWAY from SP for a company of 200. SharePoint is a great tool, its become MS's flagship product, and is touted by MS to be a very easy implementation. Well, yes and no. Basic SP(aka WSS) available to everyone is fairly easy and quick to implement. However, it not long within an organization before people start asking the "can it do this" and "can it do that" questions. And those wishes are almost always based on the need for the heartier and costly version of SP- Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server. MOSS is whole different animal than WSS- the IT time, committment, and knowledge level necessary to implement MOSS is massive compared to WSS. For a small company it becomes almost impossible to pull off.

Can't speak much to Google docs, as I've only had cursory experience with them. But I can tell you that there are a tremendous number of new enterprise collaboration sites that are very effective with a plethora of tools available and very cost-effective pricing. Below is a list of a few I have used myself or help orgs/teams implement:

1.       COMINDWORK (http://www.comindwork.com/)

2.       OfficeMedium (http://www.officemedium.com/)

3.       BaseCamp (http://basecamphq.com/)

4.       CubeTree (https://www.cubetree.com/site/index)

5.       WizeHive (http://www.wizehive.com/)

6.       SocialText (http://www.socialtext.com/)

7.       CentralDesktop (http://www.centraldesktop.com/)

Regards,

Don Kildebeck

I am doing some work with a client that has been using a hosted version of
SharePoint (two versions actually - 2003 & 2007). They also have a enterprise
Google Sites set-up (mostly for email & calendaring) which they are starting to
also use for collaboration. There are also some shared drives floating around.
They are smallish (around 200 people) and have a highly distributed workforce.

At some point, they are going to have to decide what should go where. I have
experience with SharePoint in a corporate setting but not Google Sites. Does
anyone have any insight (preferably based on experience) as to the strengths and
weakness of each platform relative to the other? I have found some articles and
blog posts on the web but they seem a bit sketchy.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Matt

Michael Dieterle

Matt,

The power of SharePoint comes from its great integration with the rest of Microsoft Office, in particular Exchange/Outlook and Word/Excel/PowerPoint. If they mainly do their work in Google Apps, I'd go with Sites for compatibility reasons with the rest of the suite.

Regards, Michael
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dieterle
http://twitter.com/mdieterle

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Michael,

I would agree with you - however the issue is that in this situation they mostly use Microsoft Office for their client documentation and occasionally use Google Docs for internal collaboration. If Google Docs could provide sufficiently good formatting, then they would move. But at the moment it doesn't. So they really want both.

Matt

The power of SharePoint comes from its great integration with the rest of Microsoft Office, in particular Exchange/Outlook and Word/Excel/PowerPoint. If they mainly do their work in Google Apps, I'd go with Sites for compatibility reasons with the rest of the suite.

Regards, Michael
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dieterle
http://twitter.com/mdieterle

Michael Dieterle

Matt, completely agree on the formatting.

However, there might be help via OffiSync to marry both suites: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/offisync_microsoft_office_plus_google_docs_is_the_perfect_app.php

Regards, Michael