Experts contibution to communities #CoP #expertise

brickharley <Rick.Wallace@...>

We have a project underway to define how experts get engaged with specific communities. I relaize if the expert is in the community it is essentially asking for help/advice. What I am interested in is how to match an expert competency to an existing community need if the expert is not in the community?

Paul McDowall

There are lots of how-tos out there but I'm afraid that your question is a bit too simplistic as stated, so the simple but accurate answer to your question is, it all depends. There are many factors that are or can be involved in initiating/launching, growing and sustaining an effective CoP. Here just some of them:

- what are the needs of the potential community members?
- what is the age and career stage of the potential members and the expert(s)?
- what is the natural inclination of the expert(s)? e.g. to share, listen, teach, coach, counsel, explain, etc or to be busy about his/her objectives and find this kind of stuff a nuisance?
- is the expert really able to articulate what they know and why they know it?
- what external factors are at play? e.g. time and distance, real/pressing business needs that correspond to the subject matter involved and expectations from management?
- what is the overall knowledge/skill level of the potential CoP members?
- what are the work objectives for the 'expert' and do they match with the objectives of the potential CoP members?
- there are many types of roles and relationships involved in an effective CoP, so what are they for this CoP and who will help with these?
- etc etc etc

There's lots of research on communities and social engagement factors. In fact lots and lots of factors are involved in the right mosaic and the more you are able to understand things like the human natures and dynamics, social engagement, organizational culture, management support vs expectations, etc, the better off you will be to understand how to answer the question. Sorry but there just isn't a simple answer to your question, and I would be wary of being told that there is one.
Paul