SIKM Leaders Dinner @ KM World 2010 - Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 7:00 pm - please RSVP by November 11 #KMWorld

Susan Hanley

To all SIKM Leader Members:

Are you planning to attend KM World 2010 in Washington, DC in November?  If so, Stan Garfield and I are organizing a dinner (I do the reservations, Stan is the host) for SIKM Leader members (and friends) on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 7:00 pm at McCormick & Schmicks at 901 F Street NW, Washington, DC. We had a wonderful time last year in San Jose so I hope you are able to join us.

We have a great 3-course menu to choose from (salad plus your choice of a meat, fish or vegetarian entrée plus dessert).  The total price, including tax, tip, iced tea, and coffee is $40/person.  Each person will get an individual receipt, but PLEASE BRING CASH.  Alcohol and soft drinks may be purchased at the table but the restaurant would prefer that everyone pay in cash.

If you would like to attend, please RSVP to Sue Hanley at sue@... by 5 pm ET on Thursday, November 11.   Let me know how many people will be in your group if you are attending with other people from your organization that you would like to bring.  The restaurant has told me that they may not be able to accommodate last minute additions so it’s really important to get an accurate count.  Plus, they are going to charge us for the number of people we commit to on November 12 so if you RSVP yes, please plan on attending!

We hope to see you on November 17.  If you have any questions, all my contact info is below.

Sue

P.S.  If you are a member of the group based in the DC area but not planning to come to the conference, please plan on coming to the dinner if you can!

Susan S. Hanley

SUSAN HANLEY LLC

sue@...

301-469-0770 (office)

301-442-0127 (mobile)

301-365-3646 (fax)

www.susanhanley.com

blog: http://www.networkworld.com/community/sharepoint

Stan Garfield

I wanted to follow up on Sue's message to ask that if you plan to attend our SIKM dinner on Nov. 17 in Washington, DC, that you send a message to sue@... to confirm your attendance.  She has only received 10 replies so far, so she asked me to post this reminder.

We had over 30 people at last year's dinner in San Jose, and many asked to participate at the last minute.  It will make Sue's task much easier if you take a moment to send her a note right now.  This is the least that we can do to show her our appreciation for organizing the event.

The restaurant is going to charge us for the number of people we commit to on November 12, so if you RSVP "yes," please plan on attending.  I look forward to seeing many of you next week!

--- In sikmleaders@..., "Susan Hanley" wrote:

> To all SIKM Leader Members:
>

> Are you planning to attend KM World 2010 in Washington, DC in November? If
> so, Stan Garfield and I are organizing a dinner (I do the reservations, Stan
> is the host) for SIKM Leader members (and friends) on Wednesday, November
> 17, 2010 at 7:00 pm at McCormick & Schmicks at 901 F Street NW, Washington,
> DC. We had a wonderful time last year in San Jose so I hope you are able to
> join us.
>

> We have a great 3-course menu to choose from (salad plus your choice of a
> meat, fish or vegetarian entrée plus dessert). The total price, including
> tax, tip, iced tea, and coffee is $40/person. Each person will get an
> individual receipt, but PLEASE BRING CASH. Alcohol and soft drinks may be
> purchased at the table but the restaurant would prefer that everyone pay in
> cash.
>

> If you would like to attend, please RSVP to Sue Hanley at
> sue@... by 5 pm ET on Thursday, November 11. Let me know how
> many people will be in your group if you are attending with other people
> from your organization that you would like to bring. The restaurant has
> told me that they may not be able to accommodate last minute additions so
> it's really important to get an accurate count. Plus, they are going to
> charge us for the number of people we commit to on November 12 so if you
> RSVP yes, please plan on attending!
>

> We hope to see you on November 17. If you have any questions, all my
> contact info is below.
>

> Sue
>

> P.S. If you are a member of the group based in the DC area but not planning
> to come to the conference, please plan on coming to the dinner if you can!
>

> Susan S. Hanley
>
> SUSAN HANLEY LLC
>

> 301-469-0770 (office)
>
> 301-442-0127 (mobile)
>
> 301-365-3646 (fax)
>
> www.susanhanley.com
>
> blog: <http://www.networkworld.com/community/sharepoint>
> http://www.networkworld.com/community/sharepoint

Stan Garfield

Sue says there is still room for a few more tonight.  If you would like to attend, please let Sue know today sue@...
Details: McCormick & Schmick at 901 F Street NW, Washington. The total price is $40/person. PLEASE BRING CASH.

Stan Garfield

Thanks to the efforts of Sue Hanley, we held a wonderful dinner on Wednesday during KMWorld.  36 people attended and spent the evening networking, talking, and enjoying a fine meal.

I asked the participants to discuss three topics during dinner:

  1. What can you present on a monthly SIKM Leaders Community call?
  2. How can we improve the monthly calls?
  3. What would you recommend to someone new to knowledge management who wants to develop expertise in the field?

I would like to ask all of you to reply to this thread with your answers to these questions.  To get you started, here is what Paul Neiswander, Bill Dixon, and the rest of the table in the corner near the door came up with:

  1. Possible topics
    1. multi-lingual taxonomy
    2. personal knowledge management
  2. Improvements
    1. identify some specific initiatives that SIKM could collaborate on to achieve insights.
      1. Perhaps SIKM Insights
      2. Perhaps we can set up a collaboration site (wiki)
    2. instigate a mentor program for new SIKM members (or those who would like a mentor)
  3. Tell something to someone
    1. Bill Dixon suggests that advising new members to "challenge your KM boundaries" and not to be afraid to "engage in conversations where you might feel vulnerable".
    2. The SIKM community is an ideal place to push some boundaries in a "safe" environment.

I will reply to this thread with the responses of others who attended, but before doing so, I would like to hear from other members, both those who attended and those who were unable to attend.  Thanks for your participation in this discussion.

Arthur Shelley

Stan,

Sorry I missed the gathering, but seems like a good conversation as always.

I enjoyed being involved in the SIKM leaders meeting in Boston whilst I was there a few weeks ago.

Fantastic conversations on a range of opportunities (and continued afterwards).

The idea of using SIKM leaders to push boundaries in a safe fail way is a great idea and something that we can practice m ore as professionals.

Regards,
Arthur Shelley
Founder: Intelligent Answers & Organizational Zoo Ambassadors Network
Author:
The Organizational Zoo & Being a Successful Knowledge Leader
Twitter:
Metaphorage
Blog: http//organizationalzoo.blogspot.com
Ph +61 413 047 408  Skype: Arthur.Shelley
Free Zoo Behavioural Profiles:
www.organizationalzoo.com

Thanks to the efforts of Sue Hanley, we held a wonderful dinner on Wednesday during KMWorld.  36 people attended and spent the evening networking, talking, and enjoying a fine meal.

I asked the participants to discuss three topics during dinner:

  1. What can you present on a monthly SIKM Leaders Community call?
  2. How can we improve the monthly calls?
  3. What would you recommend to someone new to knowledge management who wants to develop expertise in the field?

I would like to ask all of you to reply to this thread with your answers to these questions.  To get you started, here is what Paul Neiswander, Bill Dixon, and the rest of the table in the corner near the door came up with:

  1. Possible topics
    1. multi-lingual taxonomy
    2. personal knowledge management
  1. Improvements
    1. identify some specific initiatives that SIKM could collaborate on to achieve insights.
      1. Perhaps SIKM Insights
      2. Perhaps we can set up a collaboration site (wiki)
    1. instigate a mentor program for new SIKM members (or those who would like a mentor)
  1. Tell something to someone