Looking for KM & BI #data-science

Jeevan Kamble

Dear All,

Happy New Year 2011!

I am looking more information on Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence in areas of:

1) KM for BI Portfolio
2) KM impact in BI
3) BI impact in KM (BI/analytics on unstructured knowledge database)

Any material/link would be great helpful.

Thanks for your time and help in advance.

Warm Regards
Jeevan

Alice <alice@...>

Hello Jeevan. I worked with BI for a few years in the 90s (did my MA thesis on part of a BI/KM project, though KM was very young then and I grossly misrepresented the term in my thesis).

So I don't know if my insights would still be relevant. In the work I did, I would say that BI greatly impacted KM but not the reverse. We did use a few home grown KM-like techniques in the BI project (similar to Action Reviews and Peer Assists) but the BI work was the catalyst for people from different fields and organizations sitting down and talking in depth when they hadn't before. We didn't map social networks, but the changes in knowledge flow were dramatic.

Instead of a sort of contradictory, one-upmanship, zero sum kind of process for land management decisions, the ad hoc reporting from the BI tool (Oracle Discoverer at that time) prompted people to
* share new knowledge,
* agree or disagree with the increasingly refined priority lists generated through BI,
* justify decisions, and
* collaborate in their implementation.

I hope there is enough shared context for that to be of use to you. And I hope I'm not misrepresenting the term BI here. A couple of years later I was straddling technical BI and KM communities, and one of the KM people was really upset when I mentioned BI as technical. He saw it much more as a competitive intelligence process with few technical elements.

If you want to dig into more detail through e-mail or Skype (amacgillivray), let me know. I'm in the midst of packing for travel and a move, and not keeping up with communities very well.

All the best with your work,

Alice MacGillivray

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, jeevan kamble <jeevan_km@...> wrote:
2) KM impact in BI
Any material/link would be great helpful.

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Jeevan,

What should link KM and BI is a concern with improved decision making. However KM often ends up being simply about implementing SharePoint and collecting some documents. BI ends up being about producing reports based on operational data (e.g. pulled from an SAP system) or dashboards based on the same.

Now document storage and report generation are reasonable things to do but they do not necessarily lead to better decision making.

You might want to have a look at the two recent books by Tom Davenport on analytics (you may have read them already).

You might also want to have a look at the MIKE 2.0 methodology (although it has the word "knowledge" in the title has a heavy bias towards structured data).

You may also want to have a look at tools like Endeca - which claim to link data and text mining.

Cheers,

Matt Moore
+61 423 784 504

Murray Jennex

I agree that KM and BI are about decision making and that KM strategy should focus on supporting decision making.  I also believe that BI is really a subset of KM.  To be honest I think all of the "new" initiatives such as BI and CI (customer intelligence) are just different ways of packaging KM.  Anyway, I have a chapter coming out soon that revisits the knowledge pyramid and shows how BI and KM are linked (based on my research, ok, so its not a proven concept).  I'm happy to send it to anyone who wants to look at it.  I also turn the pyramid into more of a process model from its previous version as a concept model.  Thanks...murray jennex

Murray E. Jennex, Ph.D., P.E., CISSP, CSSLP
San Diego State University
Editor in Chief International Journal of Knowledge Management

In a message dated 12/27/2010 1:29:47 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, innotecture@... writes:

[...]

Sent from my iPhone

Jeevan Kamble

Happy New Year 2011!

Thanks a lot for your insight, Please could you elaborate on "supporting decision making" and also could you send me the document on BI-KM Pyramid.

Warm Regards
Jeevan