How to hire on online community coordinator? #jobs #CoP

Kim Ahmer

Hi everyone. I need your help. I have a position open for an online community coordinator and haven't had much luck finding the right person for the position. I have made offers to two people, but one was interviewing with another company and chose that job, the other accepted the position but just informed us she was made an offer she couldn't refuse to stay at her current position. So, now I am back at square one. Here are my questions for the group:

- where is the best place to post this type of position?
- If you are currently working in this type of position, what led you to it?
- What other advice can you give me on how to get the right person for this position?

We are a large membership association but with a staff of about 100 and no one is interested internally in the position, so hiring from within is not an option.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Kim

Kalish, Douglas (US - Arlington) <dkalish@...>

Hi Kim!

It depends on how big the role is.  One option is to make this a part-time position – I know a lot of people who were management consultants, but have left the industry to pursue family or other career interests.  These are typically folks who are good with working with large groups of people, communicate well, and are patient.  J  A part-time, virtual opportunity to coordinate and moderate a community would certainly be a good fit for someone with that background.  LinkedIn might be a good option for advertising.

If my assessment of the role is correct, let me know – I have a few people in my network who might be interested.

Hope this helps!

Doug

Doug Kalish

Deloitte Research & Innovation | Federal Knowledge Management

1919 Lynn St

Arlington, VA 22209

Tel: +1 571 882 6455 | Fax: +1 703 842 6597 | Mobile: +1 703 342 6039

dkalish@... | www.deloitte.com

have you seen the latest list of Federal communities that are online?

also, check out Doug's blog on D-Street

[...]

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.

Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. [v.E.1]

Chris Riemer

Where is the position, if I might ask?

[...]

Mark May

Kim,

I am curious why no one internally wants the role.  The best community leaders in my experience are drawn from the actual practitioners, not hired outsiders.  It also raises a concern about whether the coordinator will receive the support that is needed to be successful at the job.

Best regards,
Mark

Mark May
Program Manager

IBM Global Technology Services

From:        "kimahmer"
To:        sikmleaders@...
Date:        01/05/2011 01:02 PM
Sent by:        sikmleaders@...

[...]

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   sikmleaders-digest@...
   sikmleaders-fullfeatured@...

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kim Ahmer

Hi Doug, thanks for your quick response! Right now I spend 80% of my
time on the duties, so it has grown beyond a part-time position, and
initially I will need someone on site. I did try LinkedIn - that's
where I got the first two candidates, so your advice is spot on! I
posted the description to the files area - Online Community Coordinator
if you want to take a look at it or forward it on.

Kim

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "Kalish, Douglas (US - Arlington)"
<dkalish@...> wrote:

Hi Kim!

It depends on how big the role is. One option is to make this a
part-time position - I know a lot of people who were management
consultants, but have left the industry to pursue family or other career
interests. These are typically folks who are good with working with
large groups of people, communicate well, and are patient. :) A
part-time, virtual opportunity to coordinate and moderate a community
would certainly be a good fit for someone with that background. LinkedIn
might be a good option for advertising.

If my assessment of the role is correct, let me know - I have a few
people in my network who might be interested.

Hope this helps!

Doug

Doug Kalish
Deloitte Research & Innovation | Federal Knowledge Management

1919 Lynn St
Arlington, VA 22209
Tel: +1 571 882 6455 | Fax: +1 703 842 6597 | Mobile: +1 703 342 6039

dkalish@...<mailto:dkalish@... |
www.deloitte.com<http://www.deloitte.com/>

[USA-5Ring-Mark-Designation-tagline_RGB]

have you seen the latest list of Federal
communities<https://deloittenet.deloitte.com/PC/PracticeComm/Industries/\;
HSG/Federal/Pages/Communities.aspx> that are online?
also, check out Doug's blog on
D-Street<https://dstreet.deloittenet.deloitte.com/personal/dkalish/blog/\;
default.aspx>.

[...]

It's in Rolling Meadows, IL. NW Suburb of Chicago.

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Riemer" <jcr@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark, that's a good question. Many of our staff are very passionate about their positions. While they have interest in what is happening with the communities and are willing to assist with them, no one has come forward and applied for the position. Those who I thought would be good fits for the role didn't want to leave their current role. Support is not a problem. Our communities are the cornerstone of our new website. From my viewpoint, the fact that we have the position available indicates that there is indeed support.

From: "kimahmer" <kimahmer@...>
To: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com
Date: 01/05/2011 01:02 PM
Sent by: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com

From: "kimahmer" <kimahmer@...>
To: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com
Date: 01/05/2011 01:02 PM
[...]

Carol H. Tucker

Since this is for an online community, would you consider hiring someone to telecommute?  That would definitely widen the pool of candidates!

Carol

--- In sikmleaders@..., Mark May wrote:

> Kim,
>
> I am curious why no one internally wants the role. The best community
> leaders in my experience are drawn from the actual practitioners, not
> hired outsiders. It also raises a concern about whether the coordinator
> will receive the support that is needed to be successful at the job.
>
> Best regards,
> Mark
>
> Mark May
> Program Manager
> IBM Global Technology Services
>

> From: "kimahmer"

> To: sikmleaders@...
> Date: 01/05/2011 01:02 PM
> Subject: [sikmleaders] How to hire on online community coordinator?
> Sent by: sikmleaders@...
>

> Hi everyone. I need your help. I have a position open for an online
> community coordinator and haven't had much luck finding the right person
> for the position. I have made offers to two people, but one was
> interviewing with another company and chose that job, the other accepted
> the position but just informed us she was made an offer she couldn't
> refuse to stay at her current position. So, now I am back at square one.
> Here are my questions for the group:
>
> - where is the best place to post this type of position?
> - If you are currently working in this type of position, what led you to
> it?
> - What other advice can you give me on how to get the right person for
> this position?
>
> We are a large membership association but with a staff of about 100 and no
> one is interested internally in the position, so hiring from within is not
> an option.
>
> Any advice would be most welcome!
>
> Kim

Carol H. Tucker

"I only care about the words that flutter from your mind. They are the only thing you truly own. The only thing I will remember you by. I will not fall in love with your bones and skin. I will not fall in love with the places you have been. I will not fall in love with anything but the words that flutter from your Extraordinary Mind."
~ Andre Jordan

Leanne <leanne.staples@...>

Hello Kim,
I had a look at your job description and it appears to be written for internal use. Perhaps if you were to write it with an external audience in mind, you would get more response to it. There is no information about ISACA and compensation. As well, it is usually good to describe the working environment and use adjectives to describe the personality style that you're looking for. LinkedIn is typically a very good place to find good candidates. Have you looked at profiles of people who would be a good fit? You might consider reaching out to people in your network on LinkedIn to ask them if they know anyone.
Leanne

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "kimahmer" <kimahmer@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave Simmons

Hi, Kim,

Two ideas occur to me:

1.  Consider adding membership services duties to this position and call it something like "Membership Engagement Coordinator."  That way the focus is not on online technologies, but, rather, networking members to members and setting up an informal sharing environment.

2.  Hire a freelancer.  Perhaps the online person doesn't need to be a FTE on your staff, but a contractor.  Again, the visibility and value of this service is not on the staff but the M2M (member-to-member connections.)

Hope this helps.

Dave Simmons

On Jan 5, 2011 12:01 PM, "kimahmer" <kimahmer@...> wrote:
> Hi everyone. I need your help. I have a position open for an online community coordinator and haven't had much luck finding the right person for the position. I have made offers to two people, but one was interviewing with another company and chose that job, the other accepted the position but just informed us she was made an offer she couldn't refuse to stay at her current position. So, now I am back at square one. Here are my questions for the group:
>
> - where is the best place to post this type of position?
> - If you are currently working in this type of position, what led you to it?
> - What other advice can you give me on how to get the right person for this position?
>
> We are a large membership association but with a staff of about 100 and no one is interested internally in the position, so hiring from within is not an option.
>
> Any advice would be most welcome!
>
> Kim

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Kim,

Did you try e-mint@... (823 members) or com-prac@yahoogroups.com (1732 members)? These are both groups with a strong focus on online community management that regularly have job ads like this up there - and also have people on them begging for work.

Regards,

Matt

Bleyman, Kristen (GE Energy) <kristen.bleyman@...>

Hi,

I’m supposed to be a member of this group, but I can’t access the “members only” files.

I know two people who are interested in the position. Can someone send me the description?

Thanks so much,

Kristen

Kristen Bleyman
Transaction Quality Specialist
GE Infrastructure, Energy
Energy Applications & Systems Engineering
T +1 518 385 7813
F +1 518 385 9529
D  *235-7813
E kristen.bleyman@...

One River Road, 53-301F
Schenectady, NY  12345
USA
General Electric International, Inc.
GE imagination at work

Kim Ahmer

Hi Carol, we did consider that but in the end determined that because this is all new to us, it would be better if we had somone on site initially.

Kim

> [...]

> - If you are currently working in this type of position, what led you to
> it?
> - What other advice can you give me on how to get the right person for
> this position?
>
> We are a large membership association but with a staff of about 100 and no
> one is interested internally in the position, so hiring from within is not
> an option.
>
> Any advice would be most welcome!
>
> Kim

Carol H. Tucker

"I only care about the words that flutter from your mind. They are the only thing you truly own. The only thing I will remember you by. I will not fall in love with your bones and skin. I will not fall in love with the places you have been. I will not fall in love with anything but the words that flutter from your Extraordinary Mind."

Paul McDowall

Hi Kim,
Have you tried the local KM chapters/groups? The description says that it has to be on-site but you would certainly broaden the interest in the position by eliminating this restriction, after all, knowledgework doesn't really depend on bricks and mortar. MZINGA does that quite well.
Best of luck with it.
paul

tomshort_tsc <tman9999@...>

I assume this an internal community (as opposed to a customer community). If it's online then does it matter where the person is physically located? Where are the community members located? How many of them are there?

If the location is not important I'd post up on a national job board like indeed.com - that's where I find most of the opportunities that are of interest to me.

It's important to understand that the business value of a CoP often derives from a different type of activity than the value of more socially oriented communities (like this one). Because of this, as Mark May mentioned, an effective internal CoP leader generally needs to be someone from within the community who has credibility and respect among the community members. Without this type of leadership it may be difficult to maintain a significant level of useful activity within the community.

If you're having difficulty finding someone who would be willing to lead the community I'd take a closer look at that fact and ask myself the question, "will this be a viable community that will add business value?" Typiclly communities that add value comprise a group of individuals who are passionate about the business and about about the work they do. A community leader shares that passion, and in addition believes strongly in the value to the business of an active CoP. Hard to force it. Hard to recruit it.

Tom Short
KM/Enterprise Collaboration Specialist
TSC
415-596-1000

[...]

Hi Tom, It is a customer community, not an internal community. Currently the communities have just over 7,000 users. I have topic leaders for the communities who are SMEs. Among other tasks, this position would help to manage the topic leaders who are all volunteers.

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "tomshort_tsc" <tman9999@...> wrote:

[...]

Nancy White

Feel free (or I'd be happy to do it for you) to post to the online facilitation group on Yahoo.http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/onlinefacilitation/  Also, The Forum One Online community report lists jobs and is widely read, as is the the Community Roundtable.  I'd also be happy to put it out on my personal network if you'd like. (I'm an online community oldtimer) but what I notice is that a lot  of people who do this work well, really have a strong bias towards telecommuting. -)

I second the advice about giving the description a wee bit more context! ;-)

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM, kimahmer <kimahmer@...> wrote:
Hi Tom, It is a customer community, not an internal community.  Currently the communities have just over 7,000 users. I have topic leaders for the communities who are SMEs.  Among other tasks, this position would help to manage the topic leaders who are all volunteers.

Kim Ahmer

Thank you to all who have responded! Your comments and suggestions have been very helpful!

[...]

Will do!