Creating an Intranet Learning Portal #SharePoint #learning

rademary <mtradem@...>

Hi All - I've recently been assigned to help facilitate/design a Learning Portal for Engineers within my company and am looking for some guidance. I have an MLIS degree obtained in 2007 from U of M, so I do have some background knowledge in the basics of creating taxonomies, creating digital libraries, etc. but where I need help is in the areas of facilitating consensus, Sharepoint pro's & con's for this type of endeavor, and tips/techniques for designing for a global audience.

As background information, first of all, the tool of choice that I must use is Sharepoint.  Second, my scope is global - so the website and some of the content must be able to be viewed in multiple languages.  Third, I will be working with representatives from a variety of disciplines who already have their content organized on individual websites (not always in a findable/useable fashion, I might add!).

My task is to work with these rep's to design the site for the ultimate end user - the Engineer.  It should be a site that will help the Engineer find materials that they are either required to take (Corporation specific training) and/or materials that will help them to do better on their current assignment or prepare them for their next assignment.  We are hoping to add content to the site that is more than just packaged training courses, such as videos, articles, books, etc. etc.

As I prepare for my first meeting with the rep's, I think it will be key to unify them into a central mission so that consensus can be built (as opposed to "it's my way or the highway"!).

So I am looking for advice/articles/video's (anything that you can share, based on personal experience or knowledge), on consensus building, on the pro's/con's of Sharepoint, and tips/techniques for designing for a global audience.

Thanks for your help!!
Mary T. Morgan

Stan Garfield

At my suggestion, two recent posts were made:

  1. Web 2.0
  2. Creating an Intranet Learning Portal

I would like to ask you to take a look at these and if you can reply, to please do so.  Thanks a lot for your participation, which helps make SIKM Leaders a vibrant community.

Regards,
Stan

Don Kildebeck

Mary,
I have been with several organizations who have utilized Sharepoint in various degrees specifically for Learning & Development. I only time right now to touch on a few key concepts/discoveries of these experiences. Feel free to email me directly with futher questions or clarifications. First off, SharePoint is a great tool for housing content, links, resources etc for Learning. In this sense its a powerful CRM for employees to reach pre-developed content. Most orgs. however stop at this point, feeling that if they just develop SP for the purpose of fast retrieval of warehoused content, they've done enough. The deeper truth most orgs don't want to go to, is that MOST organizational knowledge does not live in databases or document libraries, but rather in the minds, experiences and wisdom of the employees. Developing an SP portal which is interactive and brings together employees for the sake of knowledge sharing is a much more complex project that most orgs don't want to (or don't know how to)create. SP has the most of the tools for this out of the box, and with some creative customization offer even more potential.
I am not sure which version of SP you are inheriting, but SP2010 has some more advanced social learning tools than its previous versions. Below are a couple of links you can learn more from:

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/enterprise-20/sharepoint-2010-case-study-informal-and-social-learning-at-telus-007928.php?pageNum=2

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/enterprise-20/5-ways-social-networking-has-improved-in-sharepoint-2010-007325.php

Regards,
Don Kildebeck
Managing Partner
TrainingCurveSolutions.com
don@trainingcurvesolutions.com

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "rademary" <mtradem@...> wrote:

[...]

tomshort_tsc <tman9999@...>

Hello Mary - this is an interesting challenge you have to tackle, and one I'm sure members of this group will have a lot of input on.

If it were me - I have never been involved in the type of enterprise-wide deployment and use of sharepoint that you describe - I would be inclined to want to do some initial baselining on the current practices in use by your engineering community/target audience. How are they using Sharepoint currently? What are they finding it useful for? Where does it come up short?

Is there an L&D department? What are their primary delivery channels? How does the Engrg community view the effectiveness of current L&D offerings in terms of meeting their needs for building skill/competency among their ranks? I'd look at that question across at least two levels: new hires/basic to intermediate skill levels; and mid-level, training to help build advanced levels of skill/competency.

The intersection of the above two sets of data could provide useful input for your group, in terms of building a concensus on what direction should be pursued, which issues are top of mind, and where the quick hits are likely to be.

Hope this isn't too abstract. Good luck! And please keep us posted on what you do and how it works out.

Tom Short

[...]

tombarfield75 <thomas.m.barfield@...>

Mary - you have been given a significant challenge here. A challenge so big that it is a little difficult to chew on it in written words via a discussion forum.

From an infrastructure perspective I view Sharepoint as more of a utility - or plumbing. Having the right plumbing usually won't solve a problem - it is everything else that tends to be more important - including the culture of the organization - most importantly leadership engagement. From a plumbing perspective I suggest that you also take a look at Newsgator's SocialSites capability. This is a Sharepoint add-on that greatly improves on Sharepoint's collaboration capabilities.

To be honest - in terms of connecting people to the right training vehicles there are probably better options out there instead of Sharepoint. You don't talk about if Sharepoint is only hosting the descriptions or if the intent that it will host the training content (coomputer-based training, videos, e-learning...). To what extent do you expect people to learn formally (training) vs. social (from each other)?

It sounds like you have a good start. I encourage you to continue to dig deeper on understanding specific business challenges you need to solve, engaging leadership support and pinpointing the audience(s) and what motivates them. Then you can start to move into technology options.

Tom

Mike Gardner

We had a great deal of experience in using SharePoint at EDS (and now HP).

The aim was primarily to develop a corporate content repository but I think some of the learning will be similar to an intranet learning portal.

The great advantage of SharePoint is it’s versatility, which can also be it’s weakness when you try to implement a corporate approach. This can mean that if you get things wrong to begin with or allow too much flexibility for the owners of a page / content site to do what they want, then you may have problems. So the approach I would take is to draw up a Content Map to start with (what are the main topics that need to be covered and how do you want to see these on your portal). Map the current content repositories against what the Engineers need to find and decide what can stay as it is and what needs updating/moving in to other repositories, other sites.

When considering the design of your sites you may need to think about how the data is to be presented to the end user. Are you going to point to specific documents, use search capabilities to locate content, etc. Content can reside in multiple sites if you have an enhanced search capability that lets it easily be found.

This is where metadata may become important (are you planning on using any tools to manage SharePoint content and metadata across all the sites?)

When you talk about viewing in multiple languages are you talking about the specific web pages being available or the content being stored separately in multiple languages? If just the web page then this is not too much of a problem but if start to maintain content in multiple languages across repositories need to have very good governance model to manage the content and ensure it is always consistent across multiple sites.

You may want to consider multiple views of the content and using SharePoint columns consistently in the libraries / lists to bring back content.

In terms of what and how to get agreement. One thing we found worked was to get each area of the business to talk about what they needed in terms of content to do their job (high level to start with). Then ask them to identify where this data came from today. Then get them to draw their part of the business on to a large white board. Then get the next area of the business to do the same. Ideally the interfaces should fit nicely as what one area produces the other uses (but don’t be surprised if this does not work). Continue until all areas have identified their content on the white board. This should show the most important content for each area of the business and who creates it. You should now know where the content is, and can start to design a solution based on what the business wants, and where the content is.

Mike Gardner
Test Consultant and Information Architect
HP, Enterprise Services
Derby, UK
Office: +44(0)1332 522431
Home Office: +44(0)1332 663964
Mobile: +44 (0)7790 492991
micheal.gardner@... / mike.gardner@...
Out of Office
No current planned out of office

Seth Earley

We’ve done precisely this kind of project which will be featured at a conference on SharePoint best practices.

https://www.bestpracticesconference.com/SitePages/SessionInfo.aspx?SessionID=89

This is actually a great KIM project (though the session description does not call that out)

We are planning on doing a webinar on this so will keep you posted.

Seth

Seth Earley

CEO

EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.