Getting KM right! (4 functions and 12 constructs) #blogs

dgkmedin <dgkmedin@...>

Excerpt from the blog - please follow the link to the full article if you are interested: http://wp.me/pUfyy-6d

For a while now we have talked about the need to manage the 'whole' KM process. We're not the only ones, this article in The Hindu, an interview with Sandhya Shekhar, the CEO of the Chennai-based IIT Madras Research Park, shows that people are talking about the same things, but the way to operationalise the "weaving" or integration of KM within the wider organisation is not necessarily clear - It is almost like an ideal, something we talk about without being sure of how to actually do it.

Sounds like a challenge...

So, what do we mean and where's the evidence?

Cutting through the jargon and the hype, this is it. First the evidence process...with links to our other blog posts to help bring some extra context to what we're discussing

Simard, Albert <albert.simard@...>

I took a quick look.  Definitely forward movement.  Although interesting, I feel that it falls short of it’s avowed goal of managing the “whole” KM process, however.  I use three functions: create, manage, and use.  Knowledge management involves much more than sharing, acquisition, and storage.  For example, what about mapping knowledge to knowledge needs?

Of the 11 constructs, only one (context) hints at the bigger picture of KM as a technical function that supports a business.  I take the approach of identifying the kinds of work that we do and then asking how IT, IM, and KM can support that work.  This includes supporting business decisions, as well as producing knowledge-based products and services. I’ve also realized that although the three processes are different, each with its own architecture and systems, separating them isn’t all that useful from a business perspective as most of the work that we do requires all three.  Even at a level of individual steps within a business process, more than half require at least two of the three.

Yes, there’s masses of evidence, but I don’t see much from outside the KM domain, which leads to a questionable foundation for a knowledge strategy.

Al