Social Business: How do you see it? #social-business

Jeevan Kamble

Dear All,

We hear a lot about Social Business these days. I am interested to know from you what do you think about Social Business in the perspective of:

1) How its different from Knowledge Management of just new name to KM
2) What Social Business could help if KM could not or SB is just a new fad name

Thanks & Regards
Jeevan

TRflanagan@...

Jeevan,

In reacting to the term, I feel a distinction between a focus on managing connectivity over time versus managing knowledge over time.  ... many tiny touches versus the complete and compelling picture ... allowing, of course, for convergence down the road.  This is, of course, a perspective and not an answer.

In a message dated 12/10/2011 5:51:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, jeevan_km@... writes:

Dear All,

We hear a lot about Social Business these days. I am interested to know from you what do you think about Social Business in the perspective of:

1) How its different from Knowledge Management of just new name to KM
2) What Social Business could help if KM could not or SB is just a new fad name

Thanks & Regards
Jeevan

Laurence Lock Lee

I like to think of 'Social Business' as a term that emphasises relationship centred, largely bottom up management, as opposed to compliance centred, top down traditional forms of business management. My path into the Social Business arena was through KM though. Social Business in my mind does not encompass the whole field of KM. It does cover the parts of KM that I am most interested though and that is:

1. Tacit knowledge sharing through relationships
2. Social networks and social network analysis
3. Engaging the workforce, customers and suppliers through community mechanisms.
4. Placing relationships above compliance as a business imperative.

Laurence Lock Lee PhD
Partner, Optimice Pty Ltd
Ph: +61 (0)407001628
www.optimice.com.au
Blog: http://governanceandnetworks.blogspot.com/

Learn to network, then network to learn

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

I would agree with Laurie that "KM" and "Social Business" are not the same thing but do overlap - with "collaboration" and "networks" being at that overlap point.

I would note two things:
- Some people in "Marketing" seem to think that this "social" stuff is simply a subset of marketing rather than something that overlaps with what they do but also spreads across other functions, processes and networks. Which has led to no end of debates in my neck of the woods.
- The current focus on collaboration (which is focused on the "now") seems to sometimes come at the expense of learning (which is focused on "past", "now" and "future"). So in all the hype, it's important to remember the bits of KM that aren't obviously "social business".