Topics

User policy for external facing yammer site #Yammer

Beeta Tahmassebi

Dear all,

I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share the usage policy/rules they have for governing workspaces like Yammer.  I am thinking of developing something for usage in spaces we use with external consultants and/or clients and would love to see some models before creating one of my own.

Thanks.

Beeta S. Tahmassebi

katepugh <katepugh@...>

Hi, Beeta -

This is a great question, and i am looking forward to hearing what you get from this great group. You are going to get a lot of input on the policy, protocol, privacy, courtesy, and "boundaries" of a network. Here's a good article on this: HR Executive: A Social media Dillemma by Andrew McIlvaine http://www.hreonline.com/HRE/story.jsp?storyId=533344210 1/9/2012.

So, I'll try to be more focused on the quality of conversation: Below are ground rules we're using in the discussion forum in Larry Prusak's and my course on Networks and Collaboration as part of Columbia University's Information and Knowledge Strategy Masters program. The students will actually be self-evaluating on these lines throughout their discussions during the course.  (Apologies for the font.)

Discussion Ground rules

1. Integrity (Use your true voice, no “parroting” without thought. Research your views before you speak. Ask good questions.)
2.Courtesy (Respect others and the forum.)
3.Inclusion (Increase, rather than narrow, participation in a thread. For example, explain new terms for all to comprehend.)
4. Translation (Summarize and use the insights shared and generated, and help others with their summarizations.)

Kate Pugh

Katrina Pugh
AlignConsulting
Columbia University Information and Knowledge Strategy
Author of Sharing Hidden Know-How (Jossey-Bass/Wiley, 2011)

781-259-0340 (land)
617-967-3910 (mobile)

In a message dated 02/21/12 20:41:00 Eastern Standard Time, btahmassebi@... writes:

Dear all,

I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share the usage policy/rules they have for governing workspaces like Yammer.  I am thinking of developing something for usage in spaces we use with external consultants and/or clients and would love to see some models before creating one of my own.

Thanks.

Beeta S. Tahmassebi

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Beeta,

Have a look at some of the policies here: http://socialmediagovernance.com/policies.php

Esp. the ones concerning communities.

Cheers,

Matt

Nicky Hayward-Wright

Edited

Further to Kate's list you might wish to review the attached guidelines which I have developed for GS1 Australia. The focus of these guidelines is on internal use, however the guidelines form the foundation for all online exchanges by staff, contractors or external participants.
GS1_social_media_guidelines_v1.0.pdf

Some additional considerations:

  • Administration (+ some questions)
    • joining, removing,
    • monitoring, evaluating
    • deciding if group is open or closed
    • deciding if it is best to set up a group or external network
    • tone of group: formal / informal (which may dictate some IM practices)
    • relationships across groups and networks - how will this affect access and flow of information and knowledge sharing?
    • adding acceptable use policy to site (could be as simple as "Do Good" or more detailed as decided on by the group) > in Yammer you can set this to be read each time a person logs in.
  • Help & support - assign someone to answer how to questions, assist with technical issues, push how to use features / new features
  • Moderation - assign someone that ensure appropriateness of conversations (behaviour, IP) - you may have moderation by a subject matter expert
  • Guidelines covering
    • online behaviour
    • IP (inc copyright, confidentiality, etc.)
    • IM - eg. what content should be stored in Yammer versus in the organisation's document management system; what happens with content and insigts when a group or site closes with content?

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Regards
Nicky

Nicky Hayward-Wright
Advisor, Knowledge Management
GS1 Australia

Murray Jennex

Katie/all,

You all may find my article on using KM strategy to guide social media adoption for crisis response, I've attached it....murray jennex