Has anyone attended the APQC "KM in a Day Workshop"? #learning #APQC

lfraley70 <olivlisa@...>

Hello everyone,

I am new to KM and am undertaking the implementation a KM initiative at my company. I am reaching out to find a KM consultant to help us at touchpoints along the way, as we want to be the implementers of this program but use the expertise of a KM expert along the way where needed. I reached out to the APQC to inquire about their consulting services and they informed me about their "KM in a Day Workshop", a one day, interactive session where participants learn about processes, tools and how to implement KM at their company. It looks quite comprehensive but seems expensive at $10,000 plus travel expenses. I am not too familiar with the cost of this type of service but perhaps it is reasonable. I wanted to see if anyone has engaged with the APQC to come to their company to conduct this workshop and if so, what were your impressions. Would you recommend and do you feel it is good value for the money? Thanks very much.

Lisa Olivia
BMW DesignworksUSA

gordon.vala-webb@...

The price quoted sounds - not surprisingly - high-end. With a little bit of work I'm sure you can find a smaller organization or sole practitioner that can offer the same or better value at a lower price point.

A know a couple of people. Send me a direct message if you're interested.

This e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed (the "addressee") and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use that a person other than the addressee makes of this communication is prohibited and any reliance or decisions made based on it, are the responsibility of such person. We accept no responsibility for any loss or damages suffered by any person other than the addressee as a result of decisions made or actions taken based on this communication or otherwise. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this e-mail.

Ce courriel est strictement réservé à l'usage de la personne à qui il est adressé (le destinataire). Il peut contenir de l'information privilégiée et confidentielle. L'examen, la réexpédition et la diffusion de ce message par une personne autre que son destinataire est interdite. Nous déclinons toute responsabilité à l'égard des pertes ou des dommages subis par une personne autre que le destinataire par suite de décisions ou de mesures fondées sur le contenu de cette communication ou autrement. Si vous avez reçu ce courriel par erreur, veuillez communiquer avec son expéditeur et en détruire toutes les copies.

Neil Olonoff

$ 10,000 plus travel? I'm a highly professional, experienced  KM consultant and will host a symposium (in my home, including room and gourmet cooking by my wife) for, let's say, half of that.

Just joking of course.

10,000 for one day?  I think that must be a corporate group rate ....

Regards,

Neil

Neil Olonoff

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:20 PM, lfraley70 <olivlisa@...> wrote:

[...]

Douglas Weidner

Dear Lisa Olivia,

APQC is a respected KM trainer and provider, and I’m sure you would get good value.

It seems you have a number of options worthy of consideration.

We are not a direct competitor, because we focus more on the training/mentoring side than the consultation you described in your situation.

I’d be pleased to provide further information on our KM training, certification and mentoring, but that would be more appropriately done offline.

Douglas Weidner, Chief CKM Instructor

Chairman, International Knowledge Management Institute

Best in Blended KM Training & Certification

Home of the KM Body of Knowledge (KMBOK)™

and Knowledge Maturity Model (KMM)™

O: 703-757-1395

douglas.weidner@...
www.kminstitute.org

KM Institute Corp. Video

Course Catalogue Video

[...]

No virus found in this message.

Simard, Albert <albert.simard@...>

Neil –

In my experience, a workshop should cost between $400. to $800. per person per day in their facilities; less in your facilities. (depending more on prestige than actual content).

Just to put “KM in a day” in perspective, It took me a couple of years to really understand it and I started with a degree in systems analysis!  And I’ve been learning ever since.

Al Simard

[...]

Ranta, Dan <dan.ranta@...>

This request / question has spawned some interesting discussions.  I don't believe such things as consulting fees should be shared on a forum like this without the full context.  Who knows what other deliverables APQC has to offer?  How they share other benchmarking information and go-bys that could really accelerate a KM initiative.  I am neutral on APQC and any other consulting company, however, I would be concerned with any consulting company's offerings being taken out of context, with specifics like dollar values held out to skew the argument.

My take may be a bit controversial, but it's largely based on working as a consultant for many years in a previous career.

Regards to all, Dan

[...]

Linda Hummel

Good point Dan. Given that, the original question could become: have you engaged with APQC (for a deliverable, specifically the KM in a Day workshop) and did you receive  good value for it?  For me, the response is yes and yes.

We have had membership with APQC for several years, and as the point of contact, I have access to a report with quantifiable measures on the value, which far exceeds the cost.  I have also particpated in APQC training courses, annual KM conferences, 2.5 benchmarking studies (currently in the middle of one, hence the .5), and a custom consulting engagement.  (Note: I have not specifically taken the KM in a Day workshop.)

Bottom line: even though at times i have had sticker shock, I have always received great value for my investment. They have very deep expertise in KM, and particularly where they have a repeated process (training, benchmarking methodology, conferences) they deliver high quality results.

Best Regards,
Linda Hummel
KM Leader, GE Energy

[...]

Dan,

You're probably right, but the $10K/day number caught everyone's attention. And is it for consulting or a learning event?

Neil

Neil Olonoff

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Ranta, Dan <dan.ranta@...> wrote:

[...]

Carl Frappaolo <cfraff@...>

I agree with Neil here.  I was a KM consultant for 20+ years before joining the ranks of practitioner 2 years ago. Consuling fees shoudl always be viewed in context, and often are confidential. But this appears to be a case where it is a 1 day training - i.e., a "simple" product. fees such as this should be public in my opinion. And, as Neil pointed out $10k is a jaw dropper.

--
Carl Frappaolo
blog:  www.takingaiim.com

Lee, Jim <jlee@...>

Lisa and all,

First, thanks to everyone for your interest in the topic. I only receive the SIKM as a daily digest, so I didn’t see all the activity until today, finding the conversation already fully engaged. While it is still unclear to me what the specifics were that preceded the post, I can say that from our website http://www.apqc.org/2012-km-conference-and-training-pricing the per person cost of the training (now titled, “Knowledge Management Strategy”) is $790 and $895 for members and non-members respectively.

I’m directly involved in the development and delivery of KM workshops at APQC, so for anyone interested in our offerings, I would encourage you to feel free to contact me directly. I’d be happy to chat with folks about our entire portfolio of offerings, whether it be training, benchmarking studies, metrics, maturity models, best practices, or even custom engagements. In the meantime, we will ensure that Lisa gets contacted directly to clarify her needs.

Thanks again to all. It’s great to be a part of a community that has this level of engagement and collegiality.

----------------------------------

Jim Lee, PMP

KM Senior Advisor, APQC

+1-713-685-4764 – vmail (office)

+1-216-338-3548 – mobile (direct)

jlee@...

www.apqc.org

Make Best Practices Your PracticesSM

Think Beyond Traditional Views of KM.

Focus on knowledge-driven excellence at APQC’s 2012 KM Conference.

Visit www.apqc.org/kmconf12 for full details.

Murray Jennex

I also have worked as a consultant for many years but I'll have to disagree about discussing consultant fees.  After all, this is a KM forum and what do KM'ers do?  We share and collaborate.  I think for a consultant to expect that their offerings won't get discussed is unreasonable.  I do agree with the below in expanding upon what the offering might also include and that is good.  However, I would take this as a warning to all consultants, make sure you are clear on what you are offering for your fee so that when it does get discussed (and it will) it will get discussed more accurately.

My personal feeling is that if I was offering training and other bundled services I would ensure that the bid is quite clear as to how the fee is distributed so that the client wouldn't have the sticker shock of thinking I'm asking $10,000.00 for a day of training.....murray

In a message dated 3/7/2012 5:31:52 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, lindamhummel@... writes:

[...]

Just to state the obvious, a consultant fee can be a function of many variables, including: what the market will bear, required expertise for the assignment vs possible commodity nature of task, and often most importantly, prior experience with client and resultant credibility/probability of success.

As a consultant, I’ve found a client is willing to pay more if they have a much higher likelihood of a successful engagement.

In my experience, when a client is buying training, the fee is less based on the amount of time (hourly rate) than numbers of students, but typically with some minimal daily rate in mind.

[...]

Arthur Shelley

Any client feeshuls present a business case as to what the ROI is likely to be and how this is to be calculated (where the value comesd from and what must be APPLIED in orde to achieve that).

All business propositions should be based on value exchange, not JUST COST. That said, how many consultants attend the event from the provider and what materials they leave in what format, what after event interactions are also included (mentoring, coaching, support)  are all parts of the cost equation. $10000 for a days training is expensive ( because people often don't implement much from intensive development). However, for a program of initiatives/support that saves or generates value many times the cost is a good investment.  Focus on investment return, not JUST cost.

Arthur
Tweeting as Metaphorage

[...]

Seth Earley

Another way to consider this is the per person training cost.  I imagine the course contains a number of approaches, methodologies and deliverable examples.  Providing that kind of IP for a group of, say, 20 people in an organization for that price point seems very reasonable.  Of course if it is a per person rate that would be a different story.  Great work if you can get it.

Seth

Seth Earley

CEO

EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
Cell: 781-820-8080

Email: seth@...

Web: www.earley.com

Follow me on twitter: sethearley

Connect with me on  LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/sethearley

[...]

Lisa Olivia <olivlisa@...>

It is a one day workshop...a learning event.

Lisa