KM & "culture" #culture

arseneaultd@...

Hey Matt.. IMHE.. two important cultural characteristics are required to support knowledge management at the strategy and operational level..

1) moving from "unilateral control" to "mutual learning model"..

(see Using the Facilitative Leader Approach to Create an Organizational Culture of Collaboration. Roger Schwarz. a chapter in the book Creating a Culture of Collaboration edited by Schuman)

2) authentic conversations based on transparency, honesty, and a focus on corporate good/business value

(see book Authentic Conversations - Moving from Manipulation to Truth and Commitment by Jamie Showkeir , Maren Showkeir)

Dale

Peter Dorfman <pwdorfman@...>

Edited

Just throwing in something I wrote a dozen years ago on KM and culture. Hope it's still germane.
The_Accidental_Knowledge_Manager.pdf

Peter Dorfman
HP

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Alice MacGillivray <alice@...> wrote:

When we had the MA in KM at Royal Roads, we talked a lot about culture. We didn't introduce any culture assessment tools; we came at it more from an ethnographic perspective, getting people to think about how people spoke and the norms and taboos of their home or client organizations. Did a bit with semiotics, too, by looking at how public spaces were organized and decorated and what that might say about culture. So it was more the conversations that brought meaning than formal "teaching." Just like KM...go figure.

That said, being as you are working in a university environment, Karin [Knorr-] Cetina is one of my favorite authors on this topic. Explicitly and implicitly she has looked at how ways of knowing vary in different disciplinary cultures. So much KM floundering and misunderstanding and conflict--in my view--stems from a lack of study and understanding of these epistemic cultures.

Alice MacGillivray, PhD

Alice MacGillivray <alice@...>

[...]

Simard, Albert <albert.simard@...>

Matt –

What I’ve learned is that there are situations in which a culture cannot be changed for very good reasons.  This then forces a reformulation of the KM mantra from “changing the culture” to “given the existing culture, what can KM do?  This, IMHO, leads to a need for a paradigm shift in KM.  Enter the concept of knowledge manageability and management regimes.

More information available upon request.

Al Simard