KM & "culture" #culture

arseneaultd@...

Hey Matt.. IMHE.. two important cultural characteristics are required to support knowledge management at the strategy and operational level..

1) moving from "unilateral control" to "mutual learning model"..

(see Using the Facilitative Leader Approach to Create an Organizational Culture of Collaboration. Roger Schwarz. a chapter in the book Creating a Culture of Collaboration edited by Schuman)

2) authentic conversations based on transparency, honesty, and a focus on corporate good/business value

(see book Authentic Conversations - Moving from Manipulation to Truth and Commitment by Jamie Showkeir , Maren Showkeir)

Dale

Peter Dorfman <pwdorfman@...>

Edited

Just throwing in something I wrote a dozen years ago on KM and culture. Hope it's still germane.
The_Accidental_Knowledge_Manager.pdf

Peter Dorfman
HP

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Alice MacGillivray <alice@...> wrote:

When we had the MA in KM at Royal Roads, we talked a lot about culture. We didn't introduce any culture assessment tools; we came at it more from an ethnographic perspective, getting people to think about how people spoke and the norms and taboos of their home or client organizations. Did a bit with semiotics, too, by looking at how public spaces were organized and decorated and what that might say about culture. So it was more the conversations that brought meaning than formal "teaching." Just like KM...go figure.

That said, being as you are working in a university environment, Karin [Knorr-] Cetina is one of my favorite authors on this topic. Explicitly and implicitly she has looked at how ways of knowing vary in different disciplinary cultures. So much KM floundering and misunderstanding and conflict--in my view--stems from a lack of study and understanding of these epistemic cultures.

Alice MacGillivray, PhD

Alice MacGillivray <alice@...>

When we had the MA in KM at Royal Roads, we talked a lot about culture. We didn't introduce any culture assessment tools; we came at it more from an ethnographic perspective, getting people to think about how people spoke and the norms and taboos of their home or client organizations. Did a bit with semiotics, too, by looking at how public spaces were organized and decorated and what that might say about culture. So it was more the conversations that brought meaning than formal "teaching." Just like KM...go figure.

That said, being as you are working in a university environment, Karin [Knorr-] Cetina is one of my favorite authors on this topic. Explicitly and implicitly she has looked at how ways of knowing vary in different disciplinary cultures. So much KM floundering and misunderstanding and conflict--in my view--stems from a lack of study and understanding of these epistemic cultures.

Alice MacGillivray, PhD

Simard, Albert <albert.simard@...>

Matt –

What I’ve learned is that there are situations in which a culture cannot be changed for very good reasons.  This then forces a reformulation of the KM mantra from “changing the culture” to “given the existing culture, what can KM do?  This, IMHO, leads to a need for a paradigm shift in KM.  Enter the concept of knowledge manageability and management regimes.

More information available upon request.

Al Simard

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of Matt Moore
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2012 10:38 PM
To: sikmleaders@...; ActKM Discussion List; KM4 Dev
Subject: [sikmleaders] KM & "culture"

Hello,

I'm teaching a class on organisational culture 101 as part of a knowledge management masters in a couple of weeks. As part of this, I thought I'd ask you practitioners out there one thing that you have learned about working with organisational culture. Interpret the theme how you will. You can tell a story. You can reply to the list(s) or to me off list.

The flip-side is that I will compile the responses and make them available on a website (with your permission and anonymised if necessary) - probably the knowledge bucket if it's still in full effect.

Over to you...

Matt

Steve Kaukonen

Within Accenture, we focus on four core areas – Recognition, Employee Lifecycle, Leadership and Marketing & Communications – to help establish and support the culture of collaboration and sharing.  We drive this through people being Connected (with the content and people they need to connect with to do their jobs); Contributing (their knowledge and insights through blog posts, microblogs, uploading documents, etc.); and Cultivating (the knowledge and insights of others by adding to, commenting on, or discussing this knowledge). So for us, it’s the 3 C’s not 6 G’s (although you can see a strong correlation).

Steve

Stephen D. Kaukonen
Accenture – Detroit – Senior Manager
Global Knowledge Management & Social Learning

Find out more about me on My Page
email to:  stephen.d.kaukonen@...

3000 Town Center - Suite 2400

Southfield, Michigan  48075-1102

Phone: 313.887.2370
Octel: 887.2370
Cell Phone: 248.767.2801

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of Ranta, Dan
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2012 12:43 PM
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL]RE: [EXTERNAL][sikmleaders] KM & "culture"

Chris, that's great to hear about.  We emphasize two key things -- behavior and business value.  As the program matures, you can emphasize the behavior side much more since the value falls in place once the culture (behavior side) becomes business as usual.  We call it KS or Knowledge sharing (not KM) due to the tie in with the behaviors around the Gs and how that ties into the culture.  Also, when people act and operate (behavior again) in a collectively beneficial direction, the purposeful collaboration helps to systematically retain the knowledge that's more important.

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of Chris Collison
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2012 11:36 AM
Subject: [EXTERNAL]RE: [EXTERNAL][sikmleaders] KM & "culture"

Hi Dan,

Syngenta aren't the only ones to compliment you with imitation.

This is from Internal Audit in Philips Electronics (no business connection with ConocoPhillips).  I mentioned your approach to them as a great example which connected knowledge-sharing behaviours and recognition, and within a month they'd implemented this:

----------------

Eager to win, T! ake ownership and Team up to excel – modeling the new Internal Audit organization. We have linked the 6G’s that we came up with when shaping the Knowledge Management approach to these behaviors.

Categories:

-         Eager to win – he/she takes a customer centric approach, his/her perspective is outside in.

1.    Grab – for who has grabbed knowledge from another business

2.    Grow – for who has helped creating value in the emerging markets

-   &nbs! p;     Take ownership – he/she is not afraid to take courageous decisions, focuses on results over activity/processes.

1.    Guts – for who had the courage to share when something has gone wrong

2.    Gather – for who has consolidated knowledge for better results

-         Team up to excel – he/she is a good collaborator, celebrates success, and likes to learn, improve, develop.

1.    Glue – for who has created synergies in a large company like Philips, bringing together departments, grouping teams that use to work more against each other than with each other etc.

2.    Give – for who has shared/given valuable knowledge

------------

on the web: www.chriscollison.com

read my blog: chriscollison.wordpress.com

see me on YouT! ube: www.youtube.com/user/chriscollison             Chris Collison        

email me: chris@...                                            &nbs! p;           Knowledgeable Ltd...          

call my mobile: +44 7841 262900                                                Because all of us are smarter than any of us.

link in with me: www.linkedin.com/in/chris_collison

follow me on twitter: chris_collison

Sent: 18 March 2012 16:07
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL][sikmleaders] KM & "culture"

Matt -- I am glad to share a small piece of our knowledge sharing ecosystem that relates to how we have built and seek to sustain a culture of collaboration.  Regards, Dan

Motivation, Recognition and Reward

In 2005, ConocoPhillips introduced its Archimedes Awards to recognize business units and regions for the four primary types of behaviors that an effective knowledge sharing-enabled culture requires.  The awards, known informally as the 4G’s, symbolize giving, grabbing and gathering knowledge, along with spilling one’s “guts” to prevent others from having to repeat painful lessons learned.

Regions select their top success story testimonials, and 10 are recognized as Success Stories of the Year.

On an! individual basis, ConocoPhillips also recognizes the most outstanding networks through the Network of the Year award.  Three networks are nominated quarterly by the global governing body of high-level program sponsors, based upon several criteria of collaboration and networking performance.  Four networks are yearly selected as Networks of the Year.  Being nominated is considered a high honor within the company.  The awards have become highly respected symbols of global collaboration.

Regions and certain functions have created their own rewards to recognize people at a local level. For example, the North Sea Business Unit and the Operations Excellence function let people recognize their peers for outstanding efforts that promote knowledge and collaboration.

/!>

As further evidence of the strength of the Archimedes Network of the Year award, in 2011, ConocoPhillips introduced the Hall of Honors to recognize networks which have produced superior results year over year.  Networks which have won the title of Network of the Year three or more times are named into the Hall of Honors and retain the honor for three years. Afterwards, they are eligible again to compete for Network of the Year. 

The Hall of Honors represents a significant milestone in the growth and maturity of the ConocoPhillips Knowledge Sharing program and enables the recognition of more noteworthy networks.

Imitation is the sincerest form of compliment

ConocoPhillips has featured its “4G” approach numerous times during presentations at KM consortia and benchmarking meetings.  One company, Switzerland-based Syngenta, has developed the Tree Awards, based on ConocoPhillips’ 4G’s.  Syngenta is one of the world's leading agribusinesses with more than 24,000 employees in over 90 countries

ConocoPhillips has been pleased to share its success with the Network of the Year and 4G’s whenever asked.

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:38 PM
Subject: [EXTERNAL][sikmleaders] KM & "culture"

Hello,

I'm teaching a class on organ! isational culture 101 as part of a knowledge management masters in a couple of weeks. As part of this, I thought I'd ask you practitioners out there one thing that you have learned about working with organisational culture. Interpret the theme how you will. You can tell a story. You can reply to the list(s) or to me off list.

The flip-side is that I will compile the responses and make them available on a website (with your permission and anonymised if necessary) - probably the knowledge bucket if it's still in full effect.

Over to you...

Matt

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2114/4878 - Release Date: 03/18/12

Subject to local law, communications with Accenture and its affiliates including telephone calls and emails (including content), may be monitored by our systems for the purposes of security and the assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy.
______________________________________________________________________________________

www.accenture.com

Ranta, Dan <dan.ranta@...>

Chris, that's great to hear about.  We emphasize two key things -- behavior and business value.  As the program matures, you can emphasize the behavior side much more since the value falls in place once the culture (behavior side) becomes business as usual.  We call it KS or Knowledge sharing (not KM) due to the tie in with the behaviors around the Gs and how that ties into the culture.  Also, when people act and operate (behavior again) in a collectively beneficial direction, the purposeful collaboration helps to systematically retain the knowledge that's more important.

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of Chris Collison
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2012 11:36 AM
Subject: [EXTERNAL]RE: [EXTERNAL][sikmleaders] KM & "culture"

Hi Dan,

This is from Internal Audit in Philips Electronics (no business connection with ConocoPhillips).  I mentioned your approach to them as a great example which connected knowledge-sharing behaviours and recognition, and within a month they'd implemented this:

----------------

Eager to win, T! ake ownership and Team up to excel – modeling the new Internal Audit organization. We have linked the 6G’s that we came up with when shaping the Knowledge Management approach to these behaviors.

Categories:

-         Eager to win – he/she takes a customer centric approach, his/her perspective is outside in.

-   &nbs! p;     Take ownership – he/she is not afraid to take courageous decisions, focuses on results over activity/processes.

-         Team up to excel – he/she is a good collaborator, celebrates success, and likes to learn, improve, develop.

1.    Glue – for who has created synergies in a large company like Philips, bringing together departments, grouping teams that use to work more against each other than with each other etc.

------------

see me on YouT! ube: www.youtube.com/user/chriscollison             Chris Collison        

email me: chris@...                                            &nbs! p;           Knowledgeable Ltd...          

call my mobile: +44 7841 262900                                                Because all of us are smarter than any of us.

Matt -- I am glad to share a small piece of our knowledge sharing ecosystem that relates to how we have built and seek to sustain a culture of collaboration.  Regards, Dan

In 2005, ConocoPhillips introduced its Archimedes Awards to recognize business units and regions for the four primary types of behaviors that an effective knowledge sharing-enabled culture requires.  The awards, known informally as the 4G’s, symbolize giving, grabbing and gathering knowledge, along with spilling one’s “guts” to prevent others from having to repeat painful lessons learned.

Regions select their top success story testimonials, and 10 are recognized as Success Stories of the Year.

On an! individual basis, ConocoPhillips also recognizes the most outstanding networks through the Network of the Year award.  Three networks are nominated quarterly by the global governing body of high-level program sponsors, based upon several criteria of collaboration and networking performance.  Four networks are yearly selected as Networks of the Year.  Being nominated is considered a high honor within the company.  The awards have become highly respected symbols of global collaboration.

Regions and certain functions have created their own rewards to recognize people at a local level. For example, the North Sea Business Unit and the Operations Excellence function let people recognize their peers for outstanding efforts that promote knowledge and collaboration.

As further evidence of the strength of the Archimedes Network of the Year award, in 2011, ConocoPhillips introduced the Hall of Honors to recognize networks which have produced superior results year over year.  Networks which have won the title of Network of the Year three or more times are named into the Hall of Honors and retain the honor for three years. Afterwards, they are eligible again to compete for Network of the Year. 

The Hall of Honors represents a significant milestone in the growth and maturity of the ConocoPhillips Knowledge Sharing program and enables the recognition of more noteworthy networks.

ConocoPhillips has featured its “4G” approach numerous times during presentations at KM consortia and benchmarking meetings.  One company, Switzerland-based Syngenta, has developed the Tree Awards, based on ConocoPhillips’ 4G’s.  Syngenta is one of the world's leading agribusinesses with more than 24,000 employees in over 90 countries

ConocoPhillips has been pleased to share its success with the Network of the Year and 4G’s whenever asked.

Hello,

I'm teaching a class on organ! isational culture 101 as part of a knowledge management masters in a couple of weeks. As part of this, I thought I'd ask you practitioners out there one thing that you have learned about working with organisational culture. Interpret the theme how you will. You can tell a story. You can reply to the list(s) or to me off list.

Over to you...

Matt

Chris Collison <chris@...>

Hi Dan,

----------------

Eager to win, Take ownership and Team up to excel – modeling the new Internal Audit organization. We have linked the 6G’s that we came up with when shaping the Knowledge Management approach to these behaviors.

Categories:

-         Take ownership – he/she is not afraid to take courageous decisions, focuses on results over activity/processes.

------------

see me on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/chriscollison             Chris Collison        

email me: chris@...                                                        Knowledgeable Ltd...          

On an individual basis, ConocoPhillips also recognizes the most outstanding networks through the Network of the Year award.  Three networks are nominated quarterly by the global governing body of high-level program sponsors, based upon several criteria of collaboration and networking performance.  Four networks are yearly selected as Networks of the Year.  Being nominated is considered a high honor within the company.  The awards have become highly respected symbols of global collaboration.

Hello,

I'm teaching a class on organisational culture 101 as part of a knowledge management masters in a couple of weeks. As part of this, I thought I'd ask you practitioners out there one thing that you have learned about working with organisational culture. Interpret the theme how you will. You can tell a story. You can reply to the list(s) or to me off list.

Over to you...

Matt

Ranta, Dan <dan.ranta@...>

In 2005, ConocoPhillips introduced its Archimedes Awards to recognize business units and regions for the four primary types of behaviors that an effective knowledge sharing-enabled culture requires.  The awards, known informally as the 4G’s, symbolize giving, grabbing and gathering knowledge, along with spilling one’s “guts” to prevent others from having to repeat painful lessons learned.

On an individual basis, ConocoPhillips also recognizes the most outstanding networks through the Network of the Year award.  Three networks are nominated quarterly by the global governing body of high-level program sponsors, based upon several criteria of collaboration and networking performance.  Four networks are yearly selected as Networks of the Year.  Being nominated is considered a high honor within the company.  The awards have become highly respected symbols of global collaboration.

Hello,

Over to you...

Matt

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Hello,

Over to you...

Matt