"Hit a Button" - can you help? #SNA-ONA-VNA

Ranta, Dan <dan.ranta@...>

"Hit a Button" - can you help?

Recently an executive asked me - "can you help me so I can just 'hit a button?'" Let me explain. We have done a fair amount of Social / Organizational Network Analysis work and have plenty of collaboration going on...so people want more and more including analytical insights. The "hit a button" is referring to being able to have immediate access to our networking and collaborative patterns. So you can see this for individuals and between individuals and across areas of the company.

I have seen several presentations from software vendors over the years, but has anyone really put this into play? Does anyone have an easy, automatic way to see pictures or snapshots of how employees are collaborating -- based on usage of internal systems, IM, email, etc? I need some real case studies to think through - no "vaporware" please. Thanks, Dan

Chris Collison <chris@...>

Hi Dan,

Worth a look at Morphix Metasight: http://www.morphix.com/Pages/MetaSight/MetaSight.html

I was always impressed with the thinking behind the product.

Looks like it's been implemented by Computacenter

http://www.computacenter.com/news/120621_morphix.asp

Kind regards,

Chris

Recently an executive asked me - "can you help me so I can just 'hit a button?'" Let me explain. We have done a fair amount of Social / Organizational Network Analysis work and have plenty of collaboration going on...so people want more and more including analytical insights. The "hit a button" is referring to being able to have immediate access to our networking and collaborative patterns. So you can see this for individuals and between individuals and across areas of the company.

I have seen several presentations from software vendors over the years, but has anyone really put this into play? Does anyone have an easy, automatic way to see pictures or snapshots of how employees are collaborating -- based on usage of internal systems, IM, email, etc? I need some real case studies to think through - no "vaporware" please. Thanks, Dan

No virus found in this message.

Jack Vinson <jackvinson@...>

Dan-

I was just thinking about this over on my blog as well... what does collaboration look like? What do you (or the executive) expect to "see" when collaboration is happening? What problem is collaboration supposed to be solving? The answer to this is going to vary depending on the context of the organization.

If you want to get metrics on things like quantity and spread of use of these tools (email, IM, etc), I would think any number of vendors would be happy to provide such data.  Maybe some ongoing pictures of the SNA within the organization, based on this data could show "interesting" patterns.  But then delving into the patterns is what might tell you something (or not).

Jack

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Ranta, Dan <dan.ranta@...> wrote:

[...]

Simard, Albert <albert.simard@...>

Dan –

I’d suggest that the primary message in your response should be that collaboration isn’t about hitting a button.  That approach implies that it’s all about technology and measurement.  Collaboration is an inherently human process that began before the dawn of civilization.  Technology primarily facilitates and supports it to happen among dispersed participants up to global scales.  You may get numbers, but they will be a shallow representation of the surface of the pond.

First, we should distinguish between interaction, collaboration, and negotiation.  They are quite different processes.  The first involves sharing in which the key is to provide incentives for content owners to make it available to users.  The second is joint production of content, in which trust and a partnerships approach are paramount.  The third is about reaching an agreement requiring compromise in an adversarial setting.  Your request suggests that you are really looking for analytics related to social interaction.  The good news is that interactions are the most measurable of the three.

Although technology can support and enhance all of these activities, they are primarily about attitudes, behavior, relationships, and culture.  I just drafted these elements of a knowledge services architecture which examines the processes and the role of technology in them which I can extract and send.

Regrettably, it isn’t a cookbook solution it’s about understanding the underlying process.

Al Simard

Recently an executive asked me - "can you help me so I can just 'hit a button?'" Let me explain. We have done a fair amount of Social / Organizational Network Analysis work and have plenty of collaboration going on...so people want more and more including analytical insights. The "hit a button" is referring to being able to have immediate access to our networking and collaborative patterns. So you can see this for individuals and between individuals and across areas of the company.

I have seen several presentations from software vendors over the years, but has anyone really put this into play? Does anyone have an easy, automatic way to see pictures or snapshots of how employees are collaborating -- based on usage of internal systems, IM, email, etc? I need some real case studies to think through - no "vaporware" please. Thanks, Dan

Lee, Jim <jlee@...>

Dan, I’d have to say that the best I’ve seen so far would be IBM’s Small Blue. From our study, “Advances in Expertise Location and Social Networking,” they clearly showed their ability to see SNA graphics in real-time, plus the ability to automatically sort experts based upon 1st choice, 2nd choice, etc. And while that’s an internal-looking view, Ernst & Young’s Directors’ view shown from another APQC study, has similar functionality for external links to clients plus the E&Y partners associated with those clients.

----------------------------------

Jim Lee, PMP

KM Senior Advisor, APQC

+1-713-685-4764 – vmail (office)

+1-216-338-3548 – mobile (direct)

jlee@...

www.apqc.org

Make Best Practices Your PracticesSM

APQC’s 2012 Process Conference and Training is Coming October 22–26.

Get the details and register at www.apqc.org/processconf12.

We hope to see you there!

Patti Anklam <patti@...>

This notion of “hitting a button” to see the social network of collaboration has been talked about for such a long time I think of it as one of the holy grails. Some companies that I looked and and some that I worked with include: Entopia, Trampoline Systems, and Morphix Metasight (this one seems to be still doing something).  I think IBM’s Connections does this as well.

One year at Enterprise 2.0 I made a point of asking collaboration vendors whether they did or had plans to collect network data. Some had no idea what I was talking about and others said they might think about it. But if customers don’t ask for it vendors won’t do it.  So, executives (and purchasers of big collaboration platforms) have to start asking vendors.

/patti

www.jackvinson.com

[...]

Laurence Lock Lee

I've been tracking this for over a decade ... since Tacit came out with an email mapping system in the late 1990s. My take on the status quo:

- tracking email is problematic. Privacy concerns have turned customers away...have seen 3 firms fail chasing this....best use media that people have 'volunteered' to use by contributing posts etc.
- tracking social media patterns offer the most promise, but Linkedin, Facebook only allow you to look at your own network.
- you can map Twitter data, but usually only for limited periods with NodeXL and its not really just a push of the button (but close)
- I have been looking for organisations that have used social media universally across the organisation. Many say they do. When you look under the cover, usually not. So what is the value of tracking collaboration patterns of only those that are using social media? I'd be interested in talking to any organisation that is confident that their internal social media usage is truly reflective of their collaboration patterns. Email is probably the closest we have ...but see point #1.
- Looked at sharepoint forums and have mapped sharepoint activity, but no-one seems to like the forums and now that Microsoft has bought Yammer....I'd prefer to go there.
- We have been working with our Italian partners on a 'Social Business Dashboard' concept that has a 'Hit a button' objective...but will not post a link...as it could end up vapourware.
- I did put this blog post together though which I called Social Analytics 2.0 because I wanted to differentiate the social capital patterns we work with from the simple activity measures that the social networking tools have now:

http://governanceandnetworks.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/social-analytics-20-its-time.html

...which gives you an idea of where we are taking this....hopefully we will get there soon!