Topics

Who are Best-in-class Companies for Lessons Learned Reuse? #lessons-learned

Dean Testa

Does anyone have opinions on what companies are best examples for reusing lessons learned? We are most interested in US and European based companies at this time.

In our context it is about applying technical learnings from past projects into new projects. Project management, team dynamics and process based learnings are all good, but technical learnings is our current focus.

Thanks!
Dean Testa
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
Manager - RDE&Q Knowledge Management Office

Linda Hummel

Hi Dean,
NASA was selected as a best-practice partner in an APQC benchmarking study earlier this year for their Lessons Learned process, which captures technical and project -related lessons, amongst other lessons. The LL work was spearheaded from Kennedy Space Center, Glenn Research Center in Ohio. The good news is that some of what NASA does is available to the public, inlcuding access to part of their LL db. Would also suggest doing a search on technical lessons learned in the APQC Knowledge Base (apqc.org). Some reports are available without a membership.

Good luck, this is a very interesting topic as capturing LLs can be very successful or very unsuccessful - I have seen both.  And once they are captured, it is equally  challenging getting reuse.

Best Regards,
Linda Hummel
KM Leader, GE Energy