Alternative to Jive software for smaller companies #tools #social-business

lfraley70 <lisa.olivia@...>

I wanted to see if anyone in the group can recommend a social collaboration tool for a small company (150 employees). We've been looking at Jive (on-premise, cloud is not an option) and the minimum number of licenses one must purchase is 350, therefore we would be paying for 200 licenses that we are not using.

We really like the functionality of this tool so I thought perhaps someone here might have a suggestion of a similar tool that caters specifically to smaller companies.

Thanks,
Lisa

James Robertson

One direction would be to look at "intranet in a box" products,
particularly those with a social bent.

There are a pile, including, but not limited to:

ThoughtFarmer
Interact Intranet
Intranet Dashboard
Intranet Connections

The Intranetizen bloggers have also been sharing a whole bunch
of vendor profiles over recent months:

http://intranetizen.com/

---

PS. what specific functionality are you looking for?
(This would obviously narrow down the search.)

Hope this helps,
James

On 20/02/13 9:35 AM, lfraley70 wrote:
I wanted to see if anyone in the group can recommend a social collaboration tool for a small company (150 employees). We've been looking at Jive (on-premise, cloud is not an option) and the minimum number of licenses one must purchase is 350, therefore we would be paying for 200 licenses that we are not using.

We really like the functionality of this tool so I thought perhaps someone here might have a suggestion of a similar tool that caters specifically to smaller companies.

Thanks,
Lisa

-------------------------
James Robertson, Managing Director
Step Two Designs

Email: jamesr@steptwo.com.au
Web: www.steptwo.com.au
Phone: +61 2 9319 7901

Steve Ardire <sardire@...>

JostleMe http://www.jostle.me/ is another "intranet in a box" product to add to James Robertson's list

-------------------------
James Robertson, Managing Director
Step Two Designs

Email: jamesr@...
Web: www.steptwo.com.au
Phone: +61 2 9319 7901

kmjuggler <frank.leistner@...>

Hi Lisa, not so sure, what features in Jive you are specifically after. If you are mainly looking at an enterprise social network, Socialcast by Vmware might be an option. You can try it out hosted, but they do have the possibility to move it inhouse as well.

Regards,
Frank

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "lfraley70" <lisa.olivia@...> wrote:

I wanted to see if anyone in the group can recommend a social collaboration tool for a small company (150 employees). We've been looking at Jive (on-premise, cloud is not an option) and the minimum number of licenses one must purchase is 350, therefore we would be paying for 200 licenses that we are not using.

We really like the functionality of this tool so I thought perhaps someone here might have a suggestion of a similar tool that caters specifically to smaller companies.

Thanks,
Lisa

Connie Crosby

Hi Lisa:

Have a look at Speechbobble from SociaLabra as well: http://www.socialabra.com/solutions.html . They are based here in Toronto, and I was impressed when I saw what they were doing last year. Not as robust as Jive, but a flexible platform.

Cheers,
Connie

Connie Crosby
Crosby Group Consulting
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
416-919-6719 | connie@... | http://twitter.com/conniecrosby
http://www.crosbygroup.ca | http://conniecrosby.blogspot.com | http://slaw.ca

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 5:35 PM, lfraley70 <lisa.olivia@...> wrote:

I wanted to see if anyone in the group can recommend a social collaboration tool for a small company (150 employees). We've been looking at Jive (on-premise, cloud is not an option) and the minimum number of licenses one must purchase is 350, therefore we would be paying for 200 licenses that we are not using.

We really like the functionality of this tool so I thought perhaps someone here might have a suggestion of a similar tool that caters specifically to smaller companies.

Thanks,
Lisa

Mark Tilbury

I worked with a Podio platform and found that very engaging for projects. Not sure of the licence arrangements but you can check it out here

[...]

Mary Abraham

Lisa,

Traction Software offers a flexible social platform and, when we purchased it, very reasonable pricing. http://traction.tractionsoftware.com/

Best,
Mary

VMaryAbraham
Above and Beyond KM
AboveandBeyondKM.com

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 8:07 AM, <mark.tilbury@...> wrote:

[...]

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Lisa,

Other people have named quite a few platforms. A few comments:
- Jive is more of conversation platform than a publishing platform but what functionality are you after exactly?
- A lot of the enterprise social software tools out there (e.g. Yammer, Salesforce Chatter) are SAAS but is sounds like that is not an option for you.

Cheers,

Matt

[...]

Tom Short <tman9999@...>

You may also want check out http://www.huddle.com/. They are focused mainly on a cloud-based, saas approach for social content management (as an alternative to MS Sharepoint). Another similar one is kona.com.

Rgds,
Tom Short

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "lfraley70" <lisa.olivia@...> wrote:

I wanted to see if anyone in the group can recommend a social collaboration tool for a small company (150 employees). We've been looking at Jive (on-premise, cloud is not an option) and the minimum number of licenses one must purchase is 350, therefore we would be paying for 200 licenses that we are not using.

We really like the functionality of this tool so I thought perhaps someone here might have a suggestion of a similar tool that caters specifically to smaller companies.

Thanks,
Lisa

gordonvalawebb <gvalawebb@...>

There has been lots of suggestions of various tools / platforms to use. (I really like Jive having led the Design / Business Value workstream as part of PwC's global rollout. We also piloted / trialed IBM Connections, Yammer, Cisco Show and Share, Newsgator).

The key to assessing the tools is to understand:
  • the nature of the business value you are trying to achieve
  • the audience(s) that will be using it
  • the nature of their work
  • the nature / quality of your IT resources (has an impact on whether you can go open source or not)
  • the nature of your IT architecture
  • what you are going to do about email (my advice: get rid of it for internal communications if you can)
That helps you answer all sorts of questions:
  • is video important?
  • how much / what kind of moderation capability do you need
  • what kind of mobile experience do you desire?
  • is gamification important?
  • what kind of reporting / metrics do you need?
  • do you intend to include "externals" in your conversations? If so, how?
  • . . ..
I hope that helps. Let me know if you want to chat further.

--- In sikmleaders@..., "lfraley70" wrote:

> I wanted to see if anyone in the group can recommend a social collaboration tool for a small company (150 employees). We've been looking at Jive (on-premise, cloud is not an option) and the minimum number of licenses one must purchase is 350, therefore we would be paying for 200 licenses that we are not using.
>
> We really like the functionality of this tool so I thought perhaps someone here might have a suggestion of a similar tool that caters specifically to smaller companies.
>
> Thanks,
> Lisa

Susan Genden

When I was researching social learning software about a year ago, I discovered a company called Wisetail that Bersin Research was using. I am not sure if this would be what you want, but I was impressed by this smaller company.  I have also looked into or tried out Jive, Success Factors, Newsgator, and have some familiarity with the different vendors. Wisetail is: http://www.wisetail.com/lab/.

I would be interested in hearing more about IBM Connections.

Thanks,

Susan Genden
Instructional Designer/Performance Consultant
Twitter: @susangenden

Michael Dieterle

Hi Lisa,

We have successfully deployed Igloo Software at my company with 250 users. It offers everything Jive does at a more reasonable price. It is designed for little overhead and therefore, cloud-based, in case that'll become an option for you.

Best Regards,

Michael Dieterle

Global Knowledge Manager

Siegel+Gale