Topics

New Trends in Knowledge Management #hot-topics

Adrienne Makkay-Chambers

Dear All

I am in the process of putting together a presentation on Knowlegde Management and am seeking your opinion regarding the following issues:

1) How you would define Knowledge Management these days?
2) What you think the most important trends are?
3) Any outstanding success stories in your experience?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Looking forward to hearing from you,

With kind regards,

Adrienne Makkay-Chambers
Proprietor, HR Consultant, Trainer and Executive Coach
'The British Connection'

Gobi, Birgit (HP Technology Consulting Knowledge Management) <birgit.gobi@...>

Hello,

As a Knowledge Manager (practitioner for more than 10 years) in HP (in the Technology Consulting Business for the EMEA Region) and external consultant I still define Knowledge Management as the

“systematic approach to help information and knowledge flow to the right people at the right time so they can act more efficiently and effectively in their daily job. The KM program relies on three main components:

People who are the producers and consumers of knowledge,

Processes that guide the management of the  knowledge and

Tools to facilitate access to knowledge assets. “

This definition has still worked for us for years.

I see that document management and collaboration are becoming more and more blurred. Also smartphones, etc., help to access knowledge from everywhere and everytime (companies plan to provide this type of access to employees, also for internal knowlede sources). I also see the trend to connect innovation with knowledge management (which was more or less separate in the past).

Also, the role of a knowledge manager is assigned.

We have many success stories on KM here in HP. In my business unit and region we are collecting these from the employees on a quarterly basis and promote them (to show the value of KM to the business)

Hope this helps.

BR, Birgit (Gobi)

I am in the process of putting together a presentation on Knowlegde Management and am seeking your opinion regarding the following issues:

1) How you would define Knowledge Management these days?
2) What you think the most important trends are?
3) Any outstanding success stories in your experience?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Looking forward to hearing from you,

With kind regards,

Adrienne Makkay-Chambers
Proprietor, HR Consultant, Trainer and Executive Coach
'The British Connection'

Stan Garfield

>How you would define Knowledge Management these days?

Knowledge Management is the art of transforming information and intellectual assets into enduring value for an organization's clients and its people.

The purpose of knowledge management is to:
  • Foster the reuse of intellectual capital
  • Enable better decision making
  • Create the conditions for innovation
KM provides people, processes, and technology to help knowledge flow
  • To the right people
  • At the right time
  • So they can act more efficiently and effectively
>What you think the most important trends are?

My top 3 KM trends today:

  1. Using enterprise social networking to enable more effective sharing, asking, and finding.
  2. Managing an organization's communities of practice program to improve the effectiveness of communities.
  3. Using badging, gamification (game mechanics), and recognition & rewards to increase effective participation in knowledge-sharing initiatives.
>Any outstanding success stories in your experience?

Yes, there are lots of success stories.  One good source is APQC http://www.apqc.org/

Neil Olonoff

Birgit and all,

Lately I've been writing about the deficiencies (as I see them) of the "People, Process & Technology" framework.  To me, it does not explain or support KM very well.

First, PPT is so general and high level, you can use it to explain anything at all. Think about it; you could discuss the "people, process and technology" aspect of tiddly-winks.

Second, it seems to me that almost all KM initiatives / programs partake almost equally of all three aspects. There's a people, process, & technology aspect to almost everything, to include:
- content management
- collaboration systems
- communities
- competencies improvement
- change management
- knowledge embedding in processes / workflows

Since early KM doctrine use PPT, it's almost impossible to eradicate. I've noticed that people are very possessive of it and resistant to change. It's akin to a religious belief.

I've started using a different framework specifically for KM Initiatives: Content, collaboration, Community, Competencies & Change Management.

I also have a suspicion about PPT, and wonder if it's true: I suspect one of the early uses of it was by IT folks who were compensating for programs that failed due to inadequate attention to people and process, hence their insistence that they did, really and truly care about processes, and yes, by the way, people too!

With that pedigree, if true, it's another reason we should seal PPT into its coffin and drive a stake in its heart.

But do you agree, or violently disagree?  What are your thoughts?

Neil Olonoff

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Gobi, Birgit (HP Technology Consulting Knowledge Management) <birgit.gobi@...> wrote:

[...]

Neil, the problem with expanding from simple groupings (e.g., people, process, technology) to more elaborate ones is that you can continue expanding and defining forever.  For example, my recent KMWorld presentation included 80 KM specialties (see http://conferences.infotoday.com/stats/documents/default.aspx?id=7374&lnk=http%3A%2F%2Fconferences.infotoday.com%2Fdocuments%2F159%2FA105_Garfield.ppt  ), and you can make the case that it is missing many others.

People can try to use a few simple categories to group specialties, or many categories, but such efforts will always be imperfect and incomplete.  So use the ones that are meaningful to you, and others may choose to adopt or adapt your approach.

Neil Olonoff

Stan -

I agree it could be a problem. I stopped at 5:
Content
Collaboration
Community
Competencies, Knowledge Work
Change Management -- although agree with Fred that others share this

This framework has been in use 2 years with pretty good success; all it lacks is overt recognition of processes.

neil

Neil Olonoff

Neil, words starting with "c" are often used in frameworks and lists. See "N Cs of topic X" at http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddj598qm_11hp3sd9hp .  So your list fits right in. I recently created a list of about 70 words starting with "c" which are leadership attributes.