March 2013 SIKM Call: Nancy Settle-Murphy - Leading effective virtual teams #monthly-call #remote-work

nsettlemurphy <nancy@...>

Hi everyone,

Really looking forward to leading our March 19 session on Leading Effective Virtual Teams. Since there's a universe of content to cover in very little time, I want to make sure I hit the high notes. Toward that end, I'd appreciate hearing a bit more about your experiences and challenges in leading virtual teams.

I've developed a short Survey on Survey Monkey so you can help me shape the content and emphasis of our session (I promise - should take no more than 5 minutes at best!: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S8WG65B.

If you prefer to respond to this post here in our Yahoo group, that's great, too. Here's what "'d most likek to know:

- What type of virtual teams do you typically lead? (e.g.. Ongoing teams? Project teams? Global teams?)

- What are your greatest challenges when it comes to leading virtual teams?

- What would you most like to learn about during this session?

- What percentage of your virtual meetings typically include people from multiple national cultures?

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to seeing you then!

Simard, Albert <albert.simard@...>

Really looking forward to leading our March 19 session on Leading Effective Virtual Teams. Since there's a universe of content to cover in very little time, I want to make sure I hit the high notes. Toward that end, I'd appreciate hearing a bit more about your experiences and challenges in leading virtual teams.

I've developed a short Survey on Survey Monkey so you can help me shape the content and emphasis of our session (I promise - should take no more than 5 minutes at best!: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S8WG65B.

If you prefer to respond to this post here in our Yahoo group, that's great, too. Here's what "'d most likek to know:

- What type of virtual teams do you typically lead? (e.g.. Ongoing teams? Project teams? Global teams?)

Face-to-face dialogue groups to understand how previously undefined complex systems and processes work.  It is extremely difficult to get synergy over a conference call.

- What are your greatest challenges when it comes to leading virtual teams?

Making sure that everyone is equal, their opinions are heard and respected, and listening very carefully to what participants say.  Often they sense a problem but can’t fully express it.  When all participants are more or less equal, anyone might “discover” a solution.    When there is a knowledge gap between the leader and the members, however, listening becomes critical because the leader often has to discover and articulate the problem and solution.  I have personally been amazed at people’s ability to sense that something isn’t right even though they don’t know what it is.

- What would you most like to learn about during this session?

Whatever wisdom you have to offer.

- What percentage of your virtual meetings typically include people from multiple national cultures?

None – all were within an organizational context with no cultural issues.

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to seeing you then!

Maria Brindlmayer

See my answers:

- What type of virtual teams do you typically lead? (e.g.. Ongoing teams? Project teams? Global teams?)
 All of the above.

- What are your greatest challenges when it comes to leading virtual teams?
-- Keeping energy and interest going; keeping engagement up
-- Understanding everyone's needs
-- Frequency and format of interaction (how much is too much/too little; instant messages or not; email vs. phone)
-- How to get the "water cooler information" flowing without water cooler or common/kitchen space
-- at a tactical level: how to keep members engaged on conference calls; how to make sure everyone is heard, not just the loudest people; how to get the body language messages without seeing people;

- What would you most like to learn about during this session?
-- How do other people find answers to the above challenges? What are best practices?

- What percentage of your virtual meetings typically include people from multiple national cultures?
-- Most of them

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM, nsettlemurphy <nancy@...> wrote:

[...]

cell: 202-365-2440

Connie Crosby

Thanks, Nancy.

The link doesn't work; I think a period got mixed in. Here it is again for anyone trying to click through without success:  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S8WG65B

Cheers,
Connie

Connie Crosby
Crosby Group Consulting
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
416-919-6719 | connie@... | http://twitter.com/conniecrosby
http://www.crosbygroup.ca | http://conniecrosby.blogspot.com | http://slaw.ca

,_._,___

nsettlemurphy <nancy@...>

Hi Connie and everyone else,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Even when the period is removed, if I try to directly link to the survey from here, I get an error. However, when I paste the link into my browser, it works fine.

So I would ask you to either answer the questions in my original post with a response post of your own, OR paste this link into your browser and complete the Survey Monkey survey.

Correct link is: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S8WG65B

Thanks and apologies for any inconvenience,

Nancy

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S8WG65B<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S8WG65B.>

Cheers,
Connie

Connie Crosby
Crosby Group Consulting
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
416-919-6719 | connie@... | http://twitter.com/conniecrosby
http://www.crosbygroup.ca | http://conniecrosby.blogspot.com |
http://slaw.ca

,_._,___

nsettlemurphy <nancy@...>

Hi, and thanks to those who already responded via this site or Survey Monkey to let me know what aspects of virtual teams it would be most helpful to cover for our March 19 session.

For those of you who plan to attend and would like to pose a question or request a particular topic, please email me directly at nancy@guidedinsights.com, or post your request here.

I look forward to "seeing" some of you next week! Meanwhile, wishing you a great weekend ahead!

-Nancy

Stan Garfield

This is a reminder of Tuesday's monthly call from 11 am to 12 noon EDT.
* March 19: Leading virtual teams - Nancy Settle-Murphy
* SlideShare
http://www.slideshare.net/pekadad/leading-effective-virtual-teams-172288\;
09
<http://www.slideshare.net/pekadad/leading-effective-virtual-teams-17228\;
809>
* Linda Hummel will host the call

Note: If you have not already done so, please take Nancy's survey at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S8WG65B
<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S8WG65B> or reply to her post at

Note: We will use the KMers.org Twitter channel for online chatting
during the call. Visit http://tweetchat.com/room/KMers
<http://tweetchat.com/room/KMers> or http://www.kmers.org/chat
<http://www.kmers.org/chat> or use the #KMers hash tag in Twitter.