MediaWiki #wikis

Ranta, Dan <dan.ranta@...>

Since 2008 we have been using MediaWiki for our enterprise-wide encyclopedia – we call it OneWiki.  It works very well.  We have a great wiki.  We recently upgraded and we were surprised that the rich text editor capabilities were not effective with the newer version.

It seems that the rich text editor that was used to get a “What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG)” is now obsolete and not capable with MediaWiki versions 1.16+.  Due to with the recent upgrade to OneWiki’s platform, MediaWiki version 1.20, OneWiki does not have an (WYSIWYG) editor.  The only current rich editor that is supported by the Wikimedia Foundation is the VisualEditor and is still in the experiment stage.  It has limited browser support and although it works well in Chrome, it doesn’t work well in Internet.

Anyone else running into this issue?  How are you solving it?

Thanks, Dan

Arthur Shelley

Hi Dan,

It is perplexing how applications that go backwards get released. I had a significant database built for a community on a free product offered by Google some years ago.With little notice, they just moved off that platform saying I needed to migrate to their new tools (the joys and risks of freeware).

I now run my own website and do not work with freeware for anything I want to keep for more than a short time (less than a year). My blog, Twitter posts and a range of other content get captured in a searchable database behind the website. This works for me.

That said, I use Google Sites for hosting collaborative learning courses (but the University I run them through has a commercial agreement with Google). Sites works well and has a good editor with rich functionality.

Arthur
Tweeting as Metaphorage

On 20/06/2013, at 0:53, "Ranta, Dan" <dan.ranta@...> wrote:

[...]

Boris Jaeger

Hi Dan,

you might want to check out the 'Bluspice for MediaWiki' extension. It comes with a WYSIWYG-Editor and many many more good stuff for extending and improving the MediaWiki user expereince

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:BlueSpice
http://help.blue-spice.org/index.php/Main_page

BlueSpice is depeloped by HalloWelt!, a reliable German MediaWiki service provider.
http://hallowelt.biz/en/home/

Sunny regards from Germany
Boris - "Curiosity is the beginning of all learning!"
**** CONTACT ****
jaegerWM - Web- & Wissensmanagement
Boris Jaeger
Albert-Stehlin Str. 6
79365 Rheinhausen
DEUTSCHLAND / GERMANY
-----
fon/fax: +49-(0)7643-913880
mobil: +49-(0)1578-4889138
-----
mail: boris.jaeger@jaegerWM.de
home: www.jaegerWM.de

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "Ranta, Dan" <dan.ranta@...> wrote:

Since 2008 we have been using MediaWiki for our enterprise-wide encyclopedia - we call it OneWiki. It works very well. We have a great wiki. We recently upgraded and we were surprised that the rich text editor capabilities were not effective with the newer version.

It seems that the rich text editor that was used to get a "What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG)" is now obsolete and not capable with MediaWiki versions 1.16+. Due to with the recent upgrade to OneWiki's platform, MediaWiki version 1.20, OneWiki does not have an (WYSIWYG) editor. The only current rich editor that is supported by the Wikimedia Foundation is the VisualEditor<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VisualEditor> and is still in the experiment stage. It has limited browser support and although it works well in Chrome, it doesn't work well in Internet.