Topics

Mandatory Fun - Gamification Research #gamification

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Hello,

Over the last 12 months there have been some discussions around gamification on both lists. As a grumpy empiricist, I have been frustrated by the lack of hard evidence to support some of the claims made around this topic.

I came across this piece of research where someone actually undertook an experiment: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2277103

The findings: adding a game element to work can improve performance but there are some caveats around employee consent (and an interesting observation on leaderboards). Now obviously this is just one study on one game in one organisation but this is exactly the kind of thing that we need to see more of.

Regards,

Matt

tomshort_san_francisco <tman9999@...>

Nice article (especially if one is a grumpy empiricist :-)

Reminded me of an article I recently read about the "nudge" concept. Check this out: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/08/business/a-few-findings-of-britains-nudge-unit.html

Seems like nudges could be subtle, but important examples of serious games. Will be experimenting with these concepts a bit shortly at work.