SharePoint & iPad #SharePoint #mobile

Jean Graef <jean.graef@...>

Apparently there are several iPad apps for SharePoint. I would love to hear from anyone who’s used any of them.

Also, there’s a mobile SharePoint alternative called Huddle. Is anyone using that?

If I get any responses, I’ll post a summary to the list.

Jean

Jean Graef

www.montague.com

@jgraef (Twitter)

montagueinstitute.wordpress.com/ (blog)

Susan Hanley

I have used both Colligo Briefcase Pro and SharePlus, which allow you to replicate content from SharePoint on a mobile device. Harmon.ie has an app that allows you to interact with SharePoint on an iPad as well. These tools work great for document libraries and lists, and with harmon.ie, the Newsfeed and Yammer as well, but none of them replicate publishing pages, so it depends on your use case whether these products will solve a business need. For one of my current clients, we have a set of documentation that is published as publishing pages and none of these products replicate the content when you are working offline, which was the problem we were trying to solve. If you want to edit documents on your iPad, you may need to have an additional product, like Docs to Go, depending on the scenario.

But, you don't always need a mobile app to access and interact with SharePoint sites on an iPad. With SharePoint 2013, you can use SkyDrive Pro to sync documents offline. You can also access SharePoint sites from the browser on the iPad and edit documents using Office Web Apps. I work with several Office 365 SharePoint sites and also SharePoint 2013 on premises sites that have been enabled for web access and I can do quite a bit from my iPad - without using any of the iPad apps. So, I guess as always, the real question to think about is: what are you trying to do on your iPad? The products that sync certain types of content work great - but whether you need them depends on what version of SharePoint you are using, how the environment is set up, and what you want to do. I tend to use a combination of "all of the above," but in different usage scenarios.

I have a client that used Huddle for a while but is now using SharePoint 2013 for all team collaboration, which they think is much easier to use and better meets their needs.

I would be happy to answer specific questions if you want more information - and I can test out a use case for you using any of the tools since I've got them all!

Sue

Susan Hanley

sue@...

301-469-0770 (office)

301-442-0127 (mobile)

www.susanhanley.com

blog: www.networkworld.com/community/sharepoint

Jean Graef <jean.graef@...>

Sue,

Thanks for your extensive reply. See my questions inline below.

Jean

I have used both Colligo Briefcase Pro and SharePlus, which allow you to replicate content from SharePoint on a mobile device. Harmon.ie has an app that allows you to interact with SharePoint on an iPad as well. These tools work great for document libraries and lists, and with harmon.ie, the Newsfeed and Yammer as well, but none of them replicate publishing pages, so it depends on your use case whether these products will solve a business need. For one of my current clients, we have a set of documentation that is published as publishing pages

Do you mean HTML pages, or just individual Office docs?

[...]

In your experience, which KM use cases are the most common – e.g. closing deals in sales, solving customer problems, team collaboration in product development, gathering competitive intelligence?

If a client has SharePoint 2013 or Office 365, when would they need a mobile app, since they could use SkyDrive & Office Web apps?

From: Jean Graef <jean.graef@...>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 11:48:41 -0800
Subject: RE: [sikmleaders] RE: SharePoint & iPad

[...]

Robert L. Bogue

Jean – I’ll add my thoughts to Sue’s inline – and perhaps answer your questions…

However at the top – each approach has limitations.. you have to pick the solution where the limitations matter least.

Rob

-------------------

Robert L. Bogue, MS MVP: Microsoft Office SharePoint Server, MCSE, MCSA:Security, etc.

Find me Phone: (317) 844-5310  Blog: http://www.thorprojects.com/blog

Also known as The SharePoint Shepherd Learn more at http://www.sharepointshepherd.com/

Thanks for your extensive reply. See my questions inline below.

Jean

I have used both Colligo Briefcase Pro and SharePlus, which allow you to replicate content from SharePoint on a mobile device. Harmon.ie has an app that allows you to interact with SharePoint on an iPad as well. These tools work great for document libraries and lists, and with harmon.ie, the Newsfeed and Yammer as well, but none of them replicate publishing pages, so it depends on your use case whether these products will solve a business need. For one of my current clients, we have a set of documentation that is published as publishing pages

Do you mean HTML pages, or just individual Office docs?

[RLB] SharePoint has a feature called publishing that creates structured pages of content.  These aren’t supported by the various tools for offline viewing.  There are technical reasons for it.  In most cases I don’t find this to be an issue – but it is for some folks.

[...]

[RLB] My input is that every situation is different.  There’s not one KM activity that needs off-line solutions.  Sometimes it’s a knowledge base for a service technician that travels.  Other times it’s a sales briefing book to help them know how to compete.  Other times it’s other things… it just depends.

If a client has SharePoint 2013 or Office 365, when would they need a mobile app, since they could use SkyDrive & Office Web apps?

[RLB] Two answers: 1) Performance – if they’re on slow connections then performance from the cloud can be slow.  2) Off-Line – If you want to work on an airplane without Wifi… you’ll need to have the documents with you.

I have a client that used Huddle for a while but is now using SharePoint 2013 for all team collaboration, which they think is much easier to use and better meets their needs.

I would be happy to answer specific questions if you want more information - and I can t est out a use case for you using any of the tools since I've got them all!

Sue

Susan Hanley

sue@...

301-469-0770 (office)

301-442-0127 (mobile)

www.susanhanley.com

blog: www.networkworld.com/community/sharepoint

Susan Hanley

Some comments to Rob's answers below.

---In sikmleaders@{{emailDomain}}, <rbogue@...> wrote:

[...]

[SH] Rob is correct (as usual!). I have a client that is using SharePoint for their intranet and has implemented all of their Policy "documents" as publishing pages (based on the Article template) in SharePoint. They wanted an offline solution for policy  delivery and we had hoped that one of the iPad apps would do it. Unfortunately, they don't. However, the Site Pages library of a SharePoint Team Site does replicate offline (I've only tested with this with Colligo Briefcase Pro) but the images on those pages don't show up in the offline view. Whether this matters or not depends, as Rob suggests, on what you are trying to view offline and on what device. Office docs replicate fine with the iPad apps.

[...]

[SH] I agree with Rob, way too difficult to generalize and there is not one specific use case. Basically, if you need SharePoint documents offline on an iPad, there are different ways (and apps) that make that happen. If you need something other than documents, then some content works well with the apps and some does not. I think most people want to sync list content or documents so the scenario that tripped up my client is probably not the norm.

If a client has SharePoint 2013 or Office 365, when would they need a mobile app, since they could use SkyDrive & Office Web apps?

[RLB] Two answers: 1) Performance – if they’re on slow connections then performance from the cloud can be slow.  2) Off-Line – If you want to work on an airplane without Wifi… you’ll need to have the documents with you.

[SH] I think I may need to clarify. Microsoft provides an iPad app so that you can sync your SkyDrive Pro library to your iPad. The Microsoft app will allow you to work with those documents offline if your solution meets the criteria described here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-sharepoint-online-enterprise-help/use-the-skydrive-pro-app-on-an-iphone-or-ipad-HA104005688.aspx#_Toc366676484. You still need a mobile app, but it's the free one from Microsoft. But, this is ONLY if you want to work offline on your iPad.

If you want to work offline on your laptop (as opposed to your iPad), you essentially get the same functionality by sync'ing SkyDrive Pro to your laptop. That would allow you to work with documents offline on your laptop and then sync back to SharePoint when you re-connect - for the scenarios that Rob mentions above.

I have a client that used Huddle for a while but is now using SharePoint 2013 for all team collaboration, which they think is much easier to use and better meets their needs.

I would be happy to answer specific questions if you want more information - and I can t est out a use case for you using any of the tools since I've got them all!

Sue

Susan Hanley

sue@...

301-469-0770 (office)

301-442-0127 (mobile)

www.susanhanley.com

blog: www.networkworld.com/community/sharepoint

David Swan <swan425@...>

There are several iPad applications for SharePoint - two that come to mind are Filamente and SharePluse.  Both of these facilitate connection with SharePoint sites for access to lists and libraries.  Neither of them does much with published pages as I remember.