Intranet governance #governance #intranet

Halupka, Jacqueline (CA - Toronto) <jhalupka@...>

Hi all – I am looking at alternative models for intranet governance and have not found much in the literature that addresses this directly – some from Step Two but not much else. It’s the ownership and decision-making roles and responsibilities that I need to recommend, not so much the content management workflow. Any case studies or analyses out there that might help?

Thanks.

Jacqueline Halupka
Senior Manager | Knowledge Management Office
Deloitte
121 King Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5H 3T9
Tel/Direct 416-643-8071 | Fax 416-874-3888 | Mobile 416-585-9190

Robert L. Bogue

Jacqueline –

Are you looking at it from a micro or macro level?  In other words are you looking at it from the point of view of a RACI chart – or more broadly?  Typically we setup the roles and then the business slots people into the roles.

Rob

-------------------

Robert L. Bogue, MS MVP: Microsoft Office SharePoint Server, MCSE, MCSA:Security, etc.

Find me Phone: (317) 844-5310  Blog: http://www.thorprojects.com/blog

Also known as The SharePoint Shepherd Learn more at http://www.sharepointshepherd.com/

Hi all – I am looking at alternative models for intranet governance and have not found much in the literature that addresses this directly – some from Step Two but not much else. It’s the ownership and decision-making roles and responsibilities that I need to recommend, not so much the content management workflow. Any case studies or analyses out there that might help?

Thanks.

Jacqueline Halupka
Senior Manager | Knowledge Management Office
Deloitte
121 King Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5H 3T9
Tel/Direct 416-643-8071 | Fax 416-874-3888 | Mobile 416-585-9190

Halupka, Jacqueline (CA - Toronto) <jhalupka@...>

I am looking at intranet governance broadly, ownership and operations. How do centralized, distributed and hybrid models work and what are the pros and cons? What are the most successful ownership models – ie., what works best in terms of decision-making for content, ongoing development, processes? For my frame of reference - we are a large firm operating in multiple regions and in two languages.

Thanks.

Jacqueline Halupka
Deloitte
Tel/Direct
416-643-8071

www.deloitte.ca

Hi all – I am looking at alternative models for intranet governance and have not found much in the literature that addresses this directly – some from Step Two but not much else. It’s the ownership and decision-making roles and responsibilities that I need to recommend, not so much the content management workflow. Any case studies or analyses out there that might help?

Thanks.

Jacqueline Halupka
Senior Manager | Knowledge Management Office
Deloitte
121 King Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5H 3T9
Tel/Direct 416-643-8071 | Fax 416-874-3888 | Mobile 416-585-9190

Howie Cohen

Please take a look http://www.contentmanagement.com/992/ this may help you.

V/r,
Howie Cohen

Susan Hanley

As you probably know, in pretty much all cases, the answer to the "best" model is "it depends." That said, in practice, I think the organizations that are most successful have a hybrid model with both centralized ownership (typically for "top level" pages) and local ownership. I think a good guiding principle for governance is "someone is accountable, but we are all responsible," which essentially means that every employee is responsible for notifying content owners about inconsistencies or inaccuracies in content and confusing content placement, etc. The issue, of course, is assigning ownership - which is where they hybrid model comes in. The primary owner of the top level pages might be Corp Comm, who will invest time and energy in working with content owners to ensure that the content and IA adds value. The lower pages might have both guidelines and rules defined by the business owner of the intranet, who then delegates accountability to the lower level page owner. As long as there is some teeth in the governance plan and the business and/or technical owner can take down non-compliant content, then I think a hybrid approach allows organizations to provide the flexibility to move forward and react to change and a level of control to ensure that the intranet delivers the best business value.

Sue

Susan S. Hanley

sue@...

301-469-0770 (office)