How do you incentivize and recognize employees for participating in the knowledge sharing culture? #culture #motivation

twallenhorst910@...

One of the barriers in fostering a knowledge sharing culture is engaging employees in such a way that they willingly (proactively?) contribute their knowledge and materials for others to leverage.    I realize there are many ways to entice employees to participate (intrinsic and extrinsic), but wondering what others have found to be the most useful.  Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks

Terry

Stan Garfield

Steve Kaukonen

And here is what we’ve done at Accenture: http://www.slideshare.net/ThomasHsu2/accentures-a3-program

www.accenture.com

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Hi Terry,

1. Promote them. Does collaborative behaviour get you promoted?
2. Make the sharing of experience easy and clearly part of people's day jobs and linked to their core KPIs (revenue, profit, etc).

I'm having lots of conversations at the moment about "admin" - admin being the stuff that people don't want to do. And they mostly don't want to do it becoz they do not understand the value. Which means that I have to explain the value. Several times. However on about the 5th or the 6th go around, they say "ah, this isn't admin, this is a critical business activity that feeds into my broader goals". I don't need to give them a free iPod Shuffle to do it. But it takes a lot of time. An iPod Shuffle would probably be cheaper.

Cheers,

Matt Moore
+61 423 784 504

On Aug 7, 2014, at 4:56 AM, "twallenhorst910@... [sikmleaders]" <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

One of the barriers in fostering a knowledge sharing culture is engaging employees in such a way that they willingly (proactively?) contribute their knowledge and materials for others to leverage.    I realize there are many ways to entice employees to participate (intrinsic and extrinsic), but wondering what others have found to be the most useful.  Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks

Terry

twallenhorst910@...

Thanks Stan!

Yasmin Khan

Hi everyone, I'm new to SIKM and it's already proving to be a great resource. The ideas surrounding incentives were helpful, which I plan to try at my workplace.

Yasmin Khan
M.S. 2015 candidate - Information and Knowledge Strategy program, Columbia University
Head Librarian, City of Toronto, Legal Library
Tel. 416-568-9829
E-mail, ykhan@..., yk2644@...