Lessons Management System #lessons-learned

janetaaustin@...

My company is developing a lessons learned program.  Has anyone developed such a program in their company and/or know of an effective platform?  Any directions to resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Janet

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Janet,

Nick Milton's book (Lessons Learned Handbook) is an introduction to the topic.

I'm currently having a lot of discussions with different groups in my organization in this topic.

The big mistake that most organizations make is that they assume just identifying or collecting a "lesson" is enough. There needs to be a focus on applying lessons & improving performance. You actually need to incorporate a step in your processes or methods where you go back & review lessons as a form of "due diligence". And you should include contact details for people to ask questions of the lesson providers.

In terms of platform, all you really need to get started is a basic content management system with search. But the focus is probably more on behaviours & processes than tech.

Regards,

Matt Moore
+61 423 784 504

On Nov 19, 2014, at 6:55 AM, janetaaustin@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

My company is developing a lessons learned program.  Has anyone developed such a program in their company and/or know of an effective platform?  Any directions to resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Janet

Michael Dieterle

I second Matt's recommendation for Nick's book. Possibly the only resource you need. Whether there's a need for a dedicated plaform/solution primarily depends on your industry and company's needs.

A manufacturing business, for instance, relies heavily on the documentation of lessons learned and the ease of access to those lessons so they can be easily referenced for future work. While in a service business, you might be better off focusing on tracking decisions and execution of process improvements. This can easily be done within your existing toolset.

Best Regards,
Michael

Stephanie Barnes

Knoco has also developed a technology solution that can support a lessons learned process, you can find out more about it here Lessons Learned

 and see if it fits your needs.